General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOG membership?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 04:37 AM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

Not a member, but have a few friends who are members of different chapters in the area. As others have said, it will depend on the chapter. Some tend toward long rides, some to short rides, others go fast, others go the speed limit, and still others are more of a social club than anything to do with actually riding. The few times I have attended a meeting as a guest (2 different chapters), everyone seemed friendly enough. Just not my "thing". Good luck with finding a chapter to your liking.

Old 02-24-2017, 05:23 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 74,866 Likes on 22,519 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris57
I have a dilemma, most of my riding buddies don't ride very often any more. I like to ride on weekends any where from 100-250 miles a day. Anymore it is usually just me and occasionally my wife comes along when she is not working. Here is my question, I have never been a club guy but I am wondering if joining my local HOG chapter would be fun? Any thoughts? Recommendations? I live in sacramento CA but would consider the Folsom chapter also. Thanks
Give it a try what do you have to lose?

Old 02-24-2017, 05:46 AM
Back-n-Black
Club Member
Received 432 Likes on 230 Posts

I love riding with my riding club, but we were brothers before.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:39 AM
indiandave
Road Master
Received 292 Likes on 170 Posts

My chapter rides every weekend, weather permitting. I've also met some good friends though HOG. You've nothing to lose. try it.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:38 AM
1plumr1
Road Warrior
Received 413 Likes on 220 Posts

This is refreshing, not to see all the haters jump in. Per HOG rules you can attend as a guest three times without becoming a member (some chapters are more lenient). Give that a try and see if you want to join. I have been associated with three local chapters over the years, director, road captain, activities and can say that most assuredly, you will find a small group of like minded riders you will click with. Pick and choose rides, no one will care if you participate fully or not. If it's a good chapter you will most likely want to.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:39 AM
dsigrist
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

HOG is a social organization and just like any social group some chapters are great and some are not. In the end you are the only one who can decide if what they have to offer is what you're looking for. Even before you pay any dues go sit in on a meeting or two.

See if you can attend a ride as a guest; most chapters will simply have you sign a waiver for that ride. This way you can begin to make some decisions about the folks who attend the rides and the overall quality of the rides; i.e. whether they're run safely or not.

There are lots and lots of great HOG chapters but unfortunately there are a few really bad ones as well; hopefully you'll find one that has what you want.

Good luck on your quest!

Last edited by dsigrist; 02-24-2017 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:46 AM
sailmotion
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,846 Likes on 3,238 Posts

Like any social organization, I suspect you will find some members you like more than others. Furthermore, like any social organization, the smoothness of the operations is highly dependent on its officers. Any club you might join has the possibility of containing members with different ideologies from your's; however, the commonality of riding usually still makes the involvement enjoyable [just avoid political discussions :-)]. Bottom line: dues are cheap and you have 0 obligation to remain involved if it turns out to not be your cup of tea.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:21 AM
roadkinglobo
Supporter
Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts

HOG is a great way to meet ppl and attend various functions. As has already been mentioned, a lot has to do with the Chapter that you attend. Some are fairly autonomous of the sponsoring dealer and manage to have well organized rides and other social events. Unfortunately, the one that I belonged to in our locale was filled with ***-kissers that did the dealer's every bidding in hopes of winning favour with parts and service purchases. It became pathetic to watch and the dealer ran and continues to run the HOG chapter like it's his own personal club. Needless to say, I had enough and packed it in. However I did keep my national HOG membership active which basically allows me to participate at any HOG Rally or activity throughout Canada or the USA. From that point of view its very much worth it. They've recently changed the admission requirements at the Harley Museum so that anyone with an active HOG membership enters for free. That's definitely worth the price of membership. Try it.....like already stated - you've nothing to lose!

Old 02-24-2017, 11:33 AM
RandyL
Road Captain
Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

Local HOG chapters are not for me.
You should try out a few chapters in your area, you may enjoy it.

I prefer to ride alone.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:00 PM
warprints
Road Warrior
Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by dsigrist
HOG is a social organization and just like any social group some chapters are great and some are not. In the end you are the only one who can decide if what they have to offer is what you're looking for. Even before you pay any dues go sit in on a meeting or two.

See if you can attend a ride as a guest; most chapters will simply have you sign a waiver for that ride. This way you can begin to make some decisions about the folks who attend the rides and the overall quality of the rides; i.e. whether they're run safely or not.

There are lots and lots of great HOG chapters but unfortunately there are a few really bad ones as well; hopefully you'll find one that has what you want.

Good luck on your quest!
Agree. As with a lot (most?) riding clubs, some chapters are filled with people who are just too over the top, some are filled with people who actually are into riding and are rational, and some have a mix of the two. Go to a meeting and/or an open ride and see if you feel you fit in.

Quick Reply: HOG membership?