General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 12:54 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Originally Posted by RHPAW
After seeing hoverboards, cell phones, and even a pair of headphones ignite (while they were still on a lady's head), I would wait for the lithium technology to improve safety before I put one in something I care about.
You know...like what should have been done BEFORE they went to market.
Saw a show on PBS about Lithium tech. Current tech Li batteries use a liquid the anodes and cathodes are suspended in, and other than that I couldn't explain more, but simply drive a nail through one, and you can have an instant blowtorch, and if the charging circuitry in the battery itself has a flaw... meltdown or blowtorch. There is a new technology that replaces the liquid with a plastic that passes ions, and they showed nails, drills, hammers and metal shears used on it with no problems. The battery even still put out voltage when cut in half.

This new tech uses a solid lithium bar instead of the alloy used in current types, but for reasons I couldn't explain this would burn in liquid suspension. A byproduct of the new tech is supposed to be nearly double the charge capacity, sounds like it would be the greatest thing yet for vehicle batteries and especially for electric vehicles. Until this becomes available, I'll stick with lead acid, and carry my tiny lithium jumper battery - which I would with a new Lithium main battery anyway. I sure miss kickstarters, wish they'd kept them on carbed bikes (all of mine).

Old 03-18-2017, 01:19 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 2goldens
An AGM for less than $32? Something bad has got to happen here. Just for grins I put one in the cart and went to checkout. There doesn't appear to be any shipping charges for this one.
http://www.batterysharks.com/Deka-ET...FR2Hswodq08Bng
They say 6 month warranty, Walmart has the same battery for $3 more with a 1 year warranty. I'd still spend 3 times that much for less worry about getting stranded somewhere when the cheap battery failed. Common cause of cheap battery failure is cells shorting out, and a jumper battery won't always work when the main has a short - trying to is a good way to melt the wires on those little lithium jumpers, too. Personal experience, but I pulled it off when I felt the wires getting hot - and that happened fast.

Old 03-18-2017, 02:05 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,747 Likes on 982 Posts

My Indy told me one time "when you buy a new cycle battery, put its electrolyte in it, and and let it set for about an hour, then finish charging it up, because cycle batteries come from the factory half charged." He also told me that "if you put the electrolyte in it and put it right straight on the bike, the second you hit the starter button you just killed one third of your batteries life." I have no idea whatsoever, how this post relates to where to buy a battery from, but I thought it might help some one.

Old 03-18-2017, 02:50 PM
2goldens
HDF Community Team
Received 315 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by 6 gun
My Indy told me one time "when you buy a new cycle battery, put its electrolyte in it, and and let it set for about an hour, then finish charging it up, because cycle batteries come from the factory half charged." He also told me that "if you put the electrolyte in it and put it right straight on the bike, the second you hit the starter button you just killed one third of your batteries life." I have no idea whatsoever, how this post relates to where to buy a battery from, but I thought it might help some one.
The last bike battery I bought from NAPA had instructions that stated to put the battery on a low amp charge for 12 hours before using it. Of course this is after you've filled with the electrolyte that comes in a separate container.

Old 03-18-2017, 06:23 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 738 Posts

Originally Posted by 2goldens
An AGM for less than $32? Something bad has got to happen here. Just for grins I put one in the cart and went to checkout. There doesn't appear to be any shipping charges for this one.
http://www.batterysharks.com/Deka-ET...FR2Hswodq08Bng
That battery only has 270 CCA compared to 310 CCA of the big crank ETX20L.

Last edited by Mr.Softy; 03-19-2017 at 08:20 AM.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:30 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,633 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
Saw a show on PBS about Lithium tech. Current tech Li batteries use a liquid the anodes and cathodes are suspended in, and other than that I couldn't explain more, but simply drive a nail through one, and you can have an instant blowtorch, and if the charging circuitry in the battery itself has a flaw... meltdown or blowtorch. There is a new technology that replaces the liquid with a plastic that passes ions, and they showed nails, drills, hammers and metal shears used on it with no problems. The battery even still put out voltage when cut in half.

This new tech uses a solid lithium bar instead of the alloy used in current types, but for reasons I couldn't explain this would burn in liquid suspension. A byproduct of the new tech is supposed to be nearly double the charge capacity, sounds like it would be the greatest thing yet for vehicle batteries and especially for electric vehicles. Until this becomes available, I'll stick with lead acid, and carry my tiny lithium jumper battery - which I would with a new Lithium main battery anyway. I sure miss kickstarters, wish they'd kept them on carbed bikes (all of mine).
after reading this, that old 6 volt panhead seems really reliable.

Old 03-19-2017, 12:02 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by hardheaded
after reading this, that old 6 volt panhead seems really reliable.
There have been times when I wished I had the old magneto and kickstart system, now that was reliable - but I won't brag about the oil leaks and parts coming loose...

Old 03-19-2017, 08:26 PM
'Ol dirty biker
Road Warrior
Received 422 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Grog
Unless you get an AGM battery your throwing away your money. The AGM /Gel batteries aren't effected by the vibration which means they will outlast any lead-acid battery. If you have the money the new lithium batteries are a fraction of the weight
No doubt, AGM's are superior in every way and some are not much more than a traditional junk battery. You couldn't give me a Lead-Acid battery for free