General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 12:51 PM
charlie31545
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Grog - I'm strongly considering replacing my stock battery (270 CCA) to one of these Lithium batteries (500 CCA). Just can't find very many reviews on them about how well they perform / or lack of. I live in the deep S.E., so temperatures are really not an issue. I'm an active PGR member, and don't want to start having battery problems. Especially with my high compression Screaming Eagle 103 motor.

Old 03-17-2017, 01:49 PM
snafu
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by charlie31545
Grog - I'm strongly considering replacing my stock battery (270 CCA) to one of these Lithium batteries (500 CCA). Just can't find very many reviews on them about how well they perform / or lack of. I live in the deep S.E., so temperatures are really not an issue. I'm an active PGR member, and don't want to start having battery problems. Especially with my high compression Screaming Eagle 103 motor.

There is a forum sponsor - DK Custom Products over in the Sportster section that sells them. The forum member - Kevin has been using one for a while and may be able to give you some feedback on the LI battery.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:34 PM
JefferiesHD1
Tourer
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Any battery with ETX20L on it is the exact same battery as the HD one and are all made by Deka. All 3 of my bikes use this battery. Just see who has the cheapest one at the time. NAPA, AutoZone, ORiely's, online, etc. However the Deka labeled one has a year warranty where the others are 3 months.
My '12 and '13 stock batteries have already crapped out with a bad cell. I've read a lot of others on here have too. I'll see how long these last for a lot less money.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:56 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by clap
Had to order new battery found one at High Tech Battery Solutions $99 shipped made by Deka in Pa. They are the ones that make battery for Harley. It was for my 06 Electra Glide.
Bought same battery from them last year. This is a "real" Deka. Tried this instead of the Big Crank for no good reason, other then this one was $10 less.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:12 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 567 Likes on 394 Posts
Default Twin Power brand

Originally Posted by charlie31545
I got one last June for $250 on sale.I also bought an optimate LI charger. So far so good. I don't ride less than 45 degrees, so I can't let you know how it works in the cold. My buddy has an Antigravity LI in he's Heritage for 2 years and loves it.

Old 03-18-2017, 06:20 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,165 Likes on 6,705 Posts

After seeing hoverboards, cell phones, and even a pair of headphones ignite (while they were still on a lady's head), I would wait for the lithium technology to improve safety before I put one in something I care about.
You know...like what should have been done BEFORE they went to market.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:35 AM
Roadtwister
Cruiser
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by goodbirds
Deka might make Harley batteries, but it could be they are built to different specifications exclusively for Harley than what they market under their brand. I bought a Interstate for the bike 4 years ago. At first, it did just fine, but within a year I noticed it was struggling just a bit on compression stroke. It always fired though. After two years, it began to crap out so I bit the bullet and bought the HD one. After two years, it still spins the engine at startup with lots of vigor. The last HD battery I bought before this lasted 5 years.

I bought a Drag Specialties (MFG by Interstate) & I too noticed the drop in amp's. after 2 years...Had to buy another one Monday for my 2001 Ultra, just before & sold the bike this past week. bought new one made in USA by Yuasa, out of Indiana. 380 amp. for $68.00 sold by a seller named batterymom5. Came charged & ready to install.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:40 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,926 Likes on 19,371 Posts

Originally Posted by monkeyboy22
Are they using UPS to deliver it? I hope not. None of their drivers know how to countersteer.
That's just wrong ... funny, but wrong :>)

Old 03-18-2017, 11:01 AM
deadbroke
Tourer
Received 132 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by goodbirds
Deka might make Harley batteries, but it could be they are built to different specifications exclusively for Harley than what they market under their brand. I bought a Interstate for the bike 4 years ago. At first, it did just fine, but within a year I noticed it was struggling just a bit on compression stroke. It always fired though. After two years, it began to crap out so I bit the bullet and bought the HD one. After two years, it still spins the engine at startup with lots of vigor. The last HD battery I bought before this lasted 5 years.
Unfortunately Interstate batteries seem to have suffered a drop in quality. It's not just their motorcycle batteries,the automotive line of batteries don't seem to be lasting either. A friend that owns an independent auto repair shop tells me he has been replacing quite a few relatively new Interstates. I used them in my own vehicles for many years, but would hesitate to buy one now.

Old 03-18-2017, 12:44 PM
2goldens
HDF Community Team
Received 315 Likes on 216 Posts

An AGM for less than $32? Something bad has got to happen here. Just for grins I put one in the cart and went to checkout. There doesn't appear to be any shipping charges for this one.
http://www.batterysharks.com/Deka-ET...FR2Hswodq08Bng

Quick Reply: Battery