General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 cvo

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 05:57 PM
tearose
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 cvo

Hi! Just want some input on opinions about the new motor for the 2017 CVO. My husband wants the 2017 CVO Street glide. Right now we have a 2014 ultra low. I am concerned about going from the ultra to the street glide for me as I ride on the bike with him. He is saying that the CVO will hold it's value better, ECT. I have done research and understand that it is cost effective to get a CVO compared to adding the extras to a bike yourself. I just would like to get any opinions about any of this. Thank you!!

Last edited by tearose; 02-18-2017 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 02-18-2017, 08:21 PM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by tearose
Hi! Just want some input on opinions about the new motor for the 2017 CVO. My husband wants the 2017 CVO Street glide. Right now we have a 2014 ultra low. I am concerned about going from the ultra to the street glide for me as I ride on the bike with him. He is saying that the CVO will hold it's value better, ECT. I have done research and understand that it is cost effective to get a CVO compared to adding the extras to a bike yourself. I just would like to get any opinions about any of this. Thank you!!
I have heard from several sources that the CVOs (I have one) hold their value better than a non-CVO Harley. However, buying one bike over another because "it will hold its value better" is probably a mistake. Bikes are the furthest thing from an investment as they only depreciate especially in today's market. Buy what you really like. Ron

Old 02-18-2017, 08:22 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,356 Likes on 2,535 Posts

a street glide can be made comfortable for you if he adds a backrest, or a removeable tourpack.

it is only cost effective to get the cvo over the standard if the 'extras' that come on the cvo are something that you would want.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:35 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,043 Likes on 7,312 Posts

My wife just read this with me. She says that going back to a Street Glide from an Ultra would be a mistake for her as a passenger.

Bikes in today's market do not hold their valve. A CVO will always be worth more because they cost more up front. But because they cost more the depreciation is greater in dollars. I just emailed a buddy looking for a Road King on a 2016 CVO with 3k miles for almost $10k less than it cost a year ago.

Bottom line, buy what you both like and enjoy!

Old 02-18-2017, 08:36 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

Hi Tearose.....i just did what you are asking....(using rounded numbers)

The SG red is MSRP of 25K.... Versus .....a SG CVO at MSRP of 37.8K

That's a 12.8K difference, what exactly do you get?

1.. a different paint job
2.. a different amp for the same radio 25 watts + 2 speakers versus 150 watts + ....4 speakers and a bigger sized infosystem 5.25 inches versus 6.5 inches.
3.. chrome wheels versus aluminum
4.. a 107 air cooled versus a 114 twin cooled engine Milwaukee 8..
5.. a different exhaust system

the question you need to ask is all the extras worth the extra 13.8 thousand dollars.....what about all of the other blings that you will undoubtly add.....plus taxes etc. etc.

Good luck with your decision....oh I bought the SG Special and a lot of extras....i didn't care for the pain job on the CVO..after that it didn't matter to me all the extra CVO stuff....

Old 02-18-2017, 08:43 PM
tearose
6th Gear

Originally Posted by SanJuanRon
I have heard from several sources that the CVOs (I have one) hold their value better than a non-CVO Harley. However, buying one bike over another because "it will hold its value better" is probably a mistake. Bikes are the furthest thing from an investment as they only depreciate especially in today's market. Buy what you really like. Ron
​​​​​​I agree with you! I think that the depreciation argument helps make the extra cost seem okay. That is what I struggle with, bc I am not as invested in the mechanics, ect. it is hard for me to understand how "for me" a CVO is worth almost 20 grand more. Although, there is more at play here too.. believing we are getting a really good deal, which is basically getting good book value for our trade (ultra limited low 2014, 1800 miles) on the deal.

I have been doing lots of googling and reading, and I see that if engine performance is what it's about bc of the new M8 114 in the CVO, some guys are saying they can modify their bike to be better for far less.

Then there are all the "other" extras to consider.
Thanks for helping me sort this out. It really is kinda crazy to me bc there are so many bikes out there for sale, hard to choose!

Last edited by tearose; 02-18-2017 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 02-18-2017, 08:47 PM
SilverStreetGlide
Tourer
Received 79 Likes on 51 Posts

If your still a married man LOL you come to figure the wife is right I. And for a lot of males here it's hard to digest that one. But the OP has a valid point. I am fortunate to own the model and other models as well. The new 107 is every bit of the former CVO 110 and the smart decision would be (if $42k ain't the budget) that's the price of a Limited CVO. Then get the 107 Ultra Limited Low. I own the new 114 CVO SG and no wY in my eyes a 2 up (comfortable) ride. My tailbone is killing me 200 miles in. If it's all about the look and no long distance riding then sure CVO SG will suffice. But the new 114 will not smoke the 107 like some here may think. My 110 CVO hangs all day long with the new 114. And the new 107 would beat in my eyes my 110 CVO. And or be neck and neck. I'd buy the 107 and put some upgrades on her. You can make the 107 a 114 if you like.
Here's mine:

Old 02-18-2017, 08:52 PM
tearose
6th Gear

Originally Posted by giacomo56
Hi Tearose.....i just did what you are asking....(using rounded numbers)

The SG red is MSRP of 25K.... Versus .....a SG CVO at MSRP of 37.8K

That's a 12.8K difference, what exactly do you get?

1.. a different paint job
2.. a different amp for the same radio 25 watts + 2 speakers versus 150 watts + ....4 speakers and a bigger sized infosystem 5.25 inches versus 6.5 inches.
3.. chrome wheels versus aluminum
4.. a 107 air cooled versus a 114 twin cooled engine Milwaukee 8..
5.. a different exhaust system

the question you need to ask is all the extras worth the extra 13.8 thousand dollars.....what about all of the other blings that you will undoubtly add.....plus taxes etc. etc.

Good luck with your decision....oh I bought the SG Special and a lot of extras....i didn't care for the pain job on the CVO..after that it didn't matter to me all the extra CVO stuff....
Thanks so much for taking time to do this, wow!! This is very helpful😉. I have some thinking to do.

Originally Posted by skratch
a street glide can be made comfortable for you if he adds a backrest, or a removeable tourpack.

it is only cost effective to get the cvo over the standard if the 'extras' that come on the cvo are something that you would want.
yes, we planned to add a backrest
Still not sure about the ride, tho

I know the extras are nice, but not a necessity 😏

I am so glad I found this forum!! I spent so much time googling to find answers to all this before with no luck. Thanks to all! I really am not too into the CVO for a few reasons..although I do admit it is very tempting. Of course all the you tube and press releases about the new 2017 CVO are full of high praise, which causes a person to lose rational thinking. I suspect I will be in the doghouse with hubby if I'm not on board with making the purchase, oh well😑

Originally Posted by Cosmic Razorback
My wife just read this with me. She says that going back to a Street Glide from an Ultra would be a mistake for her as a passenger.

Bikes in today's market do not hold their valve. A CVO will always be worth more because they cost more up front. But because they cost more the depreciation is greater in dollars. I just emailed a buddy looking for a Road King on a 2016 CVO with 3k miles for almost $10k less than it cost a year ago.

Bottom line, buy what you both like and enjoy!
very, very helpful. Thank you!!

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 02-18-2017 at 11:38 PM.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:23 PM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 15,691 Likes on 6,677 Posts

Instead of a CVO Street Glide, how about a CVO Limited?

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...o-limited.html

Old 02-18-2017, 10:47 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 223 Likes on 158 Posts

1. The Limited will be far preferable to a Street Glide for the Passenger.
  2. A Motorcycle is NEVER an investment.
  3. The more a motorcycle costs when new, the worse an "investment" it is.
  4. "Harley-Davidson" and "Fast Motorcycle" are mutually exclusive terms. My stock Goldwing isn't all that fast; but it'll walk away from any stock Harley CVO, and even many that have had a good bit of work done to them (sometimes because they've had work done to them . . . . LOL). Put a few twists and curves in a road and it can become down right laughable.
  5. Buy the bike "YOU" like. Buying a motorcycles is NOT a practical decision, it's a "FUN" decision. So make it "FUN" and you'll never regret it.

Last edited by Bluehighways; 02-18-2017 at 10:49 PM.

Quick Reply: 2017 cvo