General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 cvo

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 12:23 AM
tearose
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
  1. The Limited will be far preferable to a Street Glide for the Passenger.
  2. A Motorcycle is NEVER an investment.
  3. The more a motorcycle costs when new, the worse an "investment" it is.
  4. "Harley-Davidson" and "Fast Motorcycle" are mutually exclusive terms. My stock Goldwing isn't all that fast; but it'll walk away from any stock Harley CVO, and even many that have had a good bit of work done to them (sometimes because they've had work done to them . . . . LOL). Put a few twists and curves in a road and it can become down right laughable.
  5. Buy the bike "YOU" like. Buying a motorcycles is NOT a practical decision, it's a "FUN" decision. So make it "FUN" and you'll never regret it.
thank you!!
He is saying he would prefer the SG. Our bike now is an ultra limited low. We traded to that from a regular ultra limited, he couldn't even park it bc he could not back it up. It was downright comical bc whenever we went anywhere and then went to park I would be a nervous wreck, and try to coach him on where to park it. Ended up dropping a few times! Believe me, I am just a passenger, I am not too sure sometimes of his judgement..sorry to say. Although, he has ridden bikes since a teenager and used to have a shovel he always worked on bc, well it always needed to be fixed, lol. Just very surprised he would like to go from the ultra to the SG, but he is saying it would be easier for him to handle?? Go figure

Anyway, all the input helps me get my perspective straight. Maybe should just get it and not worry, life is short, and I'm not so young anymore, lol!

Old 02-19-2017, 01:07 AM
5150northrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 171 Posts

The street glide is a single person bike and the ultra is a two up bike. Can't blame him for wanting the street glide but it's not in the passenger best interest

Old 02-19-2017, 01:50 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

Trying to justify a depreciating product is foolish. If kept stock the CVO will not depreciate much better as a matter of percentage than a stock Utra Limited. Of course the CVO will be worth more money. It's a much more expensive motorcycle.

Where the bike does retain some added value is when comparing a stock CVO vs a highly accessorized Ultra Limited. Or Street Glide CVO vs accessorized Street Glide Special. Accessories when left on a motorcycle add very little value to the bike.

However, if those accessories are removed and sold separately some of that money is recouped.

Like I said, anyone that tries to spend close to $40k on a motorcycle and justify it as a smart financial move is a fool. If you like the motorcycle and can afford it then go ahead and enjoy it. Buying a CVO is not an intelligent financial decision. It's a pleasure toy. Once you understand that you can make a choice.

Old 02-19-2017, 06:08 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by tearose
Thanks so much for taking time to do this, wow!! This is very helpful😉. I have some thinking to do.

yes, we planned to add a backrest
Still not sure about the ride, tho
the big difference for two up riding on both would be that the ultra has 13'' stock shocks vs. the street glide has 12'' stockers.

but, shocks are easy to change.

Old 02-19-2017, 06:23 AM
jc15025
Club Member

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

After I purchased my used CVO SG the wife insisted I put the tour-pak/backrest on even though it came with passenger sissybar and backrest

Old 02-19-2017, 06:37 AM
mskirwin
Club Member
Received 1,522 Likes on 1,146 Posts

IMO if you want to be comfortable you need the Ultra the SG is a nice bike, but even with the backrest it's still not as comfortable for the passenger. Me personally would not consider a CVO as I'd rather configure the bike to my likening not Harley's.

I moved from a Softail Deluxe to the Ultra and the wife loves the difference.

Best of luck making the decision.

Happy wife makes a happy life!

Old 02-19-2017, 08:46 AM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 15,697 Likes on 6,679 Posts

If he has that much trouble backing up and parking a limited or ultra, then he should be looking at a Heritage Softail Classic. The center of gravity is much lower and is much easier to handle in parking lots and low speed maneuvers.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:49 AM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,574 Likes on 1,498 Posts

I'm a huge CVO fan myself. If you two are riding 2up,just go with the Limited. I've had both and love the SG for just me and my solo riding. With all the extras for 2up riding the Limited is well worth it for just a little more than the SG.

Old 02-19-2017, 09:10 AM
ew25950
Road Master
Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts

If you only have 1800 miles on your 2014 model, tell your husband to ride more and window shop less Tearose.

If you get the CVO anyway, post up pics. You know we like pics!

Old 02-19-2017, 10:09 AM
tearose
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cowboy Rob
I'm a huge CVO fan myself. If you two are riding 2up,just go with the Limited. I've had both and love the SG for just me and my solo riding. With all the extras for 2up riding the Limited is well worth it for just a little more than the SG.
I agree, 👍

Originally Posted by ew25950
If you only have 1800 miles on your 2014 model, tell your husband to ride more and window shop less Tearose.

lol, right..my fault again, the dealer's send emails with their events.. when will I ever learn to keep us away from the HD dealership 😏

Originally Posted by mskirwin
IMO if you want to be comfortable you need the Ultra the SG is a nice bike, but even with the backrest it's still not as comfortable for the passenger. Me personally would not consider a CVO as I'd rather configure the bike to my likening not Harley's.

I moved from a Softail Deluxe to the Ultra and the wife loves the difference.

Best of luck making the decision.

Happy wife makes a happy life!
Trying to make him happy, but not make a financial mistake in getting an expensive bike that ends up not working, then taking a big depreciation loss, I appreciate all the input immensely.

Anyway, due to my pointing out the info shared, which all is very factual and reasonable, I am in the doghouse, ha.

Originally Posted by ew25950

Here is our current bike, an ultra low. It is easier for him to manage, and it came already lowered, obviously. Whereas the one we traded he was going to look into lowering. It was an ultra. We traded bc then it was a really good deal. We traded ours and added only about $3500. In exchange we got a newer lowered bike plus a HD promotion for 5yrs extended warranty for $1.
Very happy with the deal.

The only thing was we didn't ride it, and I didn't see any reason since it was the same model, but this bike is a little rough going over bumps compared to the one we traded. And needed to switch the pegs for me.

Here is his old shovel that we use to ride, when it worked. We ran into the guy that bought it and he put a lot of money into fixing it up. He doesn't seem all that thrilled with it? Oh well, neither was I. In fact, happiest day of my life when that thing went away. Although, hubby talks about it quite frequently.

Originally Posted by tearose
Here is his old shovel that we use to ride, when it worked. We ran into the guy that bought it and he put a lot of money into fixing it up. He doesn't seem all that thrilled with it? Oh well, neither was I. In fact, happiest day of my life when that thing went away. Although, hubby talks about it quite frequently.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 04-19-2017 at 09:17 AM.

Quick Reply: 2017 cvo