General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Tank 98' Dyna Low Rider

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 09:23 PM
firebirdstyle74
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Tank 98' Dyna Low Rider

Hello,

Recently my wife and I inherited a 1998 Dyna Low Rider from her Uncle. History of the bike; was my wife's fathers bike. He has passed and the bike went to her Uncle in 2007. He stored it in a shop until 2014, when a Harley Davidson shop in Ohio went through the bike and had it running well. Bike sat until January when I picked it up. Bad fuel in the tank of course. Had the bike looked through at another dealership and the tank is rusted horribly inside. I was told to find a new tank for the bike. I've been searching ever since and this has turned into a needle in a hay stack. Any recommendations as to where to find one or what else could fit?

Thank you for your time

Old 02-18-2017, 03:24 PM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 221 Likes on 139 Posts

The last year of the EVo in that model. The seat on those is great. But check underneath it. They sometimes begin to rust at the rails under the seat. You might want to catch that as quick as you can.

You might be able to find a stock tank somewhere, but something like a Paughco tank is what you might want to look at. Course, you'll probably want to Kreem the inside of it, and it'll need to be primed and painted. The low rider is going to be a little different to fit due to the tank mounted gauges. While you're at it, you should check out the Pingel petcock for it. And if they still make them, a carlini torque arm will do wonders for the handling.

If you can find an aftermarket shop where someone has some evo experience, it'll do wonders. I wouldn't trust most of the dealers to work on a bike that's coming up on 20 years old. They just don't have the experience that some of the geezers do. I had a 93 fxdl back in the 90s. It was a great bike.

Old 02-18-2017, 05:42 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,848 Likes on 1,085 Posts

You can probably ferret one out on E-bay. And you can also let up on the amount of tie-downs you're using on the bike! One set for the bars and one across the bottom of the rim in the rear is plenty.

Old 02-18-2017, 09:02 PM
firebirdstyle74
Stage III

Originally Posted by Stretchman
The last year of the EVo in that model. The seat on those is great. But check underneath it. They sometimes begin to rust at the rails under the seat. You might want to catch that as quick as you can.

You might be able to find a stock tank somewhere, but something like a Paughco tank is what you might want to look at. Course, you'll probably want to Kreem the inside of it, and it'll need to be primed and painted. The low rider is going to be a little different to fit due to the tank mounted gauges. While you're at it, you should check out the Pingel petcock for it. And if they still make them, a carlini torque arm will do wonders for the handling.

If you can find an aftermarket shop where someone has some evo experience, it'll do wonders. I wouldn't trust most of the dealers to work on a bike that's coming up on 20 years old. They just don't have the experience that some of the geezers do. I had a 93 fxdl back in the 90s. It was a great bike.
Thank you for your reply. I will look into your recommendations. Hopefully we get her going.

Old 02-18-2017, 09:04 PM
firebirdstyle74
Stage III

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
You can probably ferret one out on E-bay. And you can also let up on the amount of tie-downs you're using on the bike! One set for the bars and one across the bottom of the rim in the rear is plenty.
Nope.

Old 02-18-2017, 10:29 PM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 15,815 Likes on 6,704 Posts

There is no need to replace the tank. It can be cleaned out.

Head over to the Evo section.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:03 AM
LiiT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 834 Likes on 582 Posts

The tank can be cleaned and relined.