General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake rain sock?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 01:30 PM
Mabbott
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Intake rain sock?

I just installed a Cobra RPT intake on my bike and was wondering if I should be worried about getting caught in the rain with it. I've looked in the instructions and description on the Web site I got it from and it says nothing about rain or a rain sock.

I've seen people that do have rain socks for their intakes and just not sure if I should be trying to get one and keep it in my leather tool bag or what. It does have a K&N filter which may be treated for rain? Is there something I should get to make the water just bead off the filter and not have to worry about the bike sucking in water if I do get stuck in the rain?

Or is this just a case of the winter blues and I'm over thinking this? Lol.

Old 02-11-2017, 01:35 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,670 Likes on 6,425 Posts

I have been running these for years and never saw much help while in a heavy downpour. Best bet is to keep it clean and oiled every 5K or when necessary. Besides, a bit of water ran through won't hurt anything so long as it has a chance to run out before you park the bike.

Old 02-11-2017, 02:12 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,479 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Depends on the rain....

Light, medium and even heavy rain for short periods and it's fine without a sock.

Heavy, prolonged rain and you will need a sock on it. Otherwise the engine will bog when you try to accelerate and it will scare you if you are moving fast on a freeway.

400 mile days in torrential rain, flooding and massive thunderstorms and it's going to bog on you whether or not you have a rain sock. Best advice here is don't ride unless you REALLY have to.

You can probably guess how I know this.

Old 02-11-2017, 02:32 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

Rain socks help or they did for me. When I was caught in the rain, I never had any trouble. But some have and will say that there's not enough water to get into the engine to do anything. I don't have one on my bike now because I have a chrome cover on it.

Old 02-11-2017, 02:33 PM
Mabbott
Tourer

Good to know. If I'm out and it starts raining I usually stop and grab a cold one and check the radar to try a let it pass. Maybe I'll just throw a big zip lock back in my pouch to throw on it when I park if it's raining really hard and obviously take the bag off once I get back on.
edit: so maybe I just shouldnt worry about it?

Old 02-11-2017, 02:48 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,649 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Same as above, light rain hasn't affected mine at all. Been caught in downpours where the rain was coming from above, below and all sides and even with a rain sock on, the bike ran like crap. I actually have no clue how it stayed running. That can be the downside to an open style intake.

Old 02-11-2017, 02:52 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,997 Likes on 4,188 Posts

Got the same thing. Never ran one on mine and been caught in rain numerous times. My leg pretty much shields it some. And I slow down for rain. I personally think if it's raining that hard, you are not going to be able to see and pull over.

Old 02-11-2017, 03:01 PM
Frostbite
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,762 Likes on 1,670 Posts

When it's raining that hard I'm not worried about me being able to see, I'm worried about the idiot cagers being able to see...

Old 02-11-2017, 04:10 PM
Ghost_13
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,829 Likes on 3,200 Posts

When raining - I run socks (keep em in my murse (tool bag)) - they help

Otherwise I get a noticeable bog / hesitation in medium to heavy rain

Ghost

Old 02-11-2017, 04:12 PM
Mabbott
Tourer

Hmm well I guess I'll try and find a sock that fits over this thing. Couldn't hurt to have one.

Quick Reply: Intake rain sock?