General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many DUI's is too much?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007 | 11:30 AM
cadillac
|
Road Master
Default How many DUI's is too much?

Im quite surprised no one saw this news article yesterday. And right in lenrough's backyard... sort of.

Man Pleads Not-Guilty In 28th DUI Charge

bob

Old 05-31-2007 | 11:34 AM
streetboob
Road Warrior
Default RE: How many DUI's is too much?

He must be real good at it. No accidents.

Seriously though, they need to lock him up for a very long time. He obviously has not learned his lesson.

Old 05-31-2007 | 11:41 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member

No more than 23.....that's it!

Old 05-31-2007 | 11:41 AM
Bear64
Banned

1 dui is 1 to many, although I must confess in my youth I was as guilty as hell, but the fact is, it is dangerous, to drink and ride.

Old 05-31-2007 | 11:48 AM
Peekaboo Bob
Outstanding HDF Member

One is too many.

Old 05-31-2007 | 12:23 PM
gliderider
Cruiser

Although a few years old, I'm pretty sure nobody has surpassed Virldeen's record yet.

At least they finally put him away.

[/align]
Anderson man, arrested 400 times, sentenced to 17 years

The Associated Press
December 1, 2003

ANDERSON, IND. -- A 74-year-old man who has been arrested at least 400 times was sentenced Monday to 17 years in prison on drunken driving charges.

Virldeen Redmon of Anderson was arrested in July while driving even though his license had been suspended for life following scores of alcohol-related offenses.

Redmon's latest conviction was on charges of driving while intoxicated, endangering a person and driving while suspended.

Police have been arresting him since 1947, including three times since June. Redmon has had his driver's license suspended for life five times.

In 1996, a judge sentenced him to 9-1/2 years in prison for driving under a lifetime suspension and public intoxication. The judge reduced the sentence in 2001 and released him after a doctor testified that Redmon suffered from health problems.

http://www.indystar.com/articles/1/098085-8511-103.html
[/align]

Old 05-31-2007 | 12:57 PM
cadillac
|
Road Master

400 times? freakin unbelievable! On this I HAVE to find our "justice" system to be flawed. Just enforce the laws we have.

Bob

Old 05-31-2007 | 01:02 PM
Badpig521
Cruiser

unfortunately, I believe it!!

Old 05-31-2007 | 01:06 PM
ZD
Road Master

I used to be a habitual drinker/driver...I wouldn't think of getting into the car or on my bike withoutmy beer or flask.I never hurt anyone but myself thank God, but the lifestyle I led caught up to me in a big way some good years ago. I paid 14K in fines/programs, lost mylicence and did countless hours of public service. I paid a lawyer 700 bucks to plead "Guilty" andtook my medicine. The lawyer wasn't pleased, but did as I asked with only the words "Well, it's your funeral...". The court threw the book at me, and I willinglytook everything they threw.

Thismoneymaking DUIracket that's going on these days is a sham.It's all about making money, and nobody in the process reallygives a damn about stopping the problem.When I was sitting in jail cooling my heels for a couple days, I kept my trap shut and listened tostory after storyas other inmates bragged about how many times they'd been arrested for DUI, and how many times they squirmed out of it.

It was at that point in my life that I finallygot clarity...

I say, if you choose to driveimpaired and get caught,then they should throw the book at you. DUI is very easy to prove conclusively andthere is no defense for it. If you drink/drive andkill someone, you shouldgo to prison forvoluntary manslaughter. No ifs, ands or buts about it. Nobody forces anyone to get behind the wheel of a car, and once you kill/injure someone else, you have taken their choices away. So should yours be taken away. Period.

Old 05-31-2007 | 01:22 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member

Doesn't surprise me. We have an epidemic of DWI in the State of New Mexico, and no one seems to care. I think it is because a large number of the legislators are either drunks or relatives of drunks, and they don't want to passREAL laws that will come back an bite them in the butt.

A first DWI is unacceptable, but on the second, the person should forfeit their vehicle whether it is paid for or not, or whether it is borrowed or not. It takes two elements to drive drunk. One, you have to get drunk, two you have to drive. If you have no car and no way to get one, one of the elements are gone.

If it is not paid for, then the lending agency just has to eat the loss. Maybe some of these loan sharks would be a little more careful who they gave money to to buy cars. If is is borrowed, then the person loaning their car out would learn not to loan a car to a drunk.

If there was a proper data base, car dealers could check and see if the person buying the car had a DWI, and just not sell to them. You can't stop people from drinking as long as alcohol exists, but you can prevent them from having a motor vehicle if the proper laws are passed.

The big excuse for not passingthese kinds of laws around here are that taking the vehicle hurts the whole family so we can't do that. Guess these legislators just don't realize how drunks, and especially drunks that drive hurt the whole familyas well as other people.

Sorry for the rant, but we live with problem every day and nothing or consequence ever gets done.

Bill

Quick Reply: How many DUI's is too much?