General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many DUI's is too much?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007 | 05:46 PM
ZD
Road Master
Default RE: How many DUI's is too much?

ORIGINAL: cadillac

A casual acquaintance here in town was picked up for his 6th DWI a month ago. He was already barred as a habitual offender after his 5th DWI, and his 6th is going to cost him more jail time. How did I find this out? He stumbled into me yesterday when I was walking home from the gym... he was drunk again and had someone's car keys in his hand!! It wasnt his car ( the State took his plates after DWI #3) so I wrangled them away from him, took them back in the bar and slammed them down on the bar. And asked "Which one of you idiots gave Richard those car keys?" And no one would own up. So I picked em back up off the bar and said you ALL know where I live. Come get them when you want them. And I left. By then Richard had stumbled the 2 blocks home and I still have someones keys at my house. They must have had a spare cause their car was gone this morning.

Im not saying I was a Saint in my younger days.. Ive driven drunk, but I havent (in the last 9-10 years) and WONT. You guys are right... 1 is too many. And 1 DWI should be enough to sober anyone with any sense up. I agree with you all... the laws need to be enforced and judges need to keep those 2nd time offenders and above in jail for their WHOLE sentence.

Bob
Man, that's nuts... It's like playin' Russian Roulette with someone else's head... I honestly don't understand how anyone can justify letting these people back out onto the street when they know the guy is gonna drive drunk again.

Old 05-31-2007 | 07:00 PM
fj4069
Road Warrior

its like a video game for them. stay between the white lines and you score big points. go outside the lines and you lose big points. people are gonna have to get smart sometime. its easy, drink x amount of alcohol in x amount of time and your fine. drink x amount of alcohol in y amount of time and you are ****ed. and thats if you're gonna drink and drive. best just to not do both at i guess.anytime you plan on doing the other

Old 05-31-2007 | 07:48 PM
cavedog
Tourer

I used to drink, and I drove many times when I shouldn' t have. Guess I was lucky. BUT if I were in charge: 1st DUI-- 1 year in jail, mandatory. None of this weekend sh**t. 2nd offense 3 years in jail. Next one well you get the idea. My oh my how my thinking has changed. I was told once that "that is kind of harsh". Well when you loose one of your kids because of a drunk driver you get to feeling pretty harsh.

Old 05-31-2007 | 08:04 PM
stevieg
Road Warrior

I grew up in Albuquerque and I'm also 53. The name doesn't sound familiar though.....Maybe he was a drinkin' buddy I forgot about? I can't believe he hasn't hurt/killed himself or somebody else. That's amazing. Hope that's not what it takes to get him to stop.

Old 05-31-2007 | 08:07 PM
wvrider
Tourer

I didn't read any of the replies so I may step on someone elses post here, but apparently you have to kill someone before they have enough sence to lock the stupid bastard up and throw away the key. Just my .02

Old 05-31-2007 | 10:35 PM
BigJfxdwg
Road Warrior

I know a guy that got a DUI on his lawnmower. Sure he was pulling a hayrack full of drunks and a keg, but still, it's a lawnmower.

Anyway, After one if you get picked up for #2, you should never get to drive again.

Old 05-31-2007 | 11:03 PM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member

The FAA considers two within 5 years too much.

Old 06-01-2007 | 11:22 AM
skinhead
Cruiser

Think about this. The legal limit in louisiana is .08 , and about to go to .05. That is not even one beer. I think you should be able to drink a couple of beers and still be able to drive . I dont think that you should be drunk and drive , but you are still very much aware of your surroundings and very alert after two beers. That goes back to the money racket , they are only worried about the money. Everyone has there own opinion , so I figured I should put in my .02

Old 06-01-2007 | 11:58 AM
HarleyWood
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: gliderider
Redmon has had his driver's license suspended for life five times.
[/align]
[/quote]

how does someone get their license suspended for "life" 5 times?

...our legal system has some serious issues...

Old 06-01-2007 | 12:03 PM
Jules
Tourer

I'm the first one to say that whenI was younger I've driven quite a few times when I shouldn't have. Right now I'll drive after a few if I'm feeling alright, usually I'll go to the bar for about 3 or 4 hours and have 2 or 3 beers and play pool. I'm an MP in the Army, and about a week ago we arrested a guy for DUI. When we got back to the station one of the other MP's on duty reconised him, he had gotted arrested 2 nights ago for the same thing. Both times he was too drunk to stand up straight, could barely talk, and really didn't even know why he was getting arrested. Something is wrong with that system. He was home by morning, and didn't have a liscense but still had his truck at his house.

Quick Reply: How many DUI's is too much?