General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017.5 New Model Release Tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 03:11 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane19
I think it's a great looking bike and I really like the new wheels, would like to swap them out on my SG. It amazes me how many on this site bash HD, don't all companies do this?? Have you seen the latest Chevy truck commercial with 4 or 5 "special edition" trucks? They are all the same as a standard Silverado just removed all of the chrome and put some graphics on them, people buy the heck out of them around here and I bet there will be quite a few that buy this bike. It addresses a lot of the things that I didn't like about my old road king; cool wheels, SG rear fender and lights, bare front fender. I think it looks pretty cool. I understand a lot of people like the nostalgic look of the road king but not everybody does.

^ This guy knows what's up.
Originally Posted by Northernproducer
I'm sure it will popular with some, but I do NOT consider this a new model...as some others have said, it's more of a new trim level. I've owned a couple RK's over the years and this one wouldn't/didn't get a second glance from me.
Under that line of thinking the all the bikes in the FL, FX, FLS, and Sportster lines are just different trim levels. Which is basically true.

The following 2 users liked this post by craigffb:
Hurricane19 (02-09-2017), isellem (02-10-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 03:11 PM
Bill D.
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I like it, but am still holding out for the "Classic". Sigh...

Old 02-09-2017, 03:22 PM
Fish5
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love it. Nothing wrong with a little club/thug style.

Old 02-09-2017, 03:24 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynamick
In fact, the suspension has been lowered compared to the regular Road King. Same height as the Street Glide.
Does not appear that way, is my point. I did not get in to details, suspension, ground clearance wheel size and tire profile etc. " My first impression" Looks like it's on a diet and sets high. First glance doesn't look a RK, looks like a Dyna Switchback. Not what I want to pay extra for. Some may like an Army Green, chromeless "skinny" looking RK. Not for me.
I am not bashing the Moco I am stating my impression of the new Special. I am very loyal to RK's and Heritages because of their tradition.

Last edited by checkers; 02-09-2017 at 03:28 PM.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:30 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,693 Posts

It's about half an inch lower than the "normal" Road King.

Going in the wrong direction if they intend to sell these to riders who ride.

Old 02-09-2017, 03:42 PM
Hurricane19
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
It's about half an inch lower than the "normal" Road King.

Going in the wrong direction if they intend to sell these to riders who ride.
Doesn't it have the same shocks as your bike?? I have no complaints with the handling of my SG with the 12" air shocks even coming off a road king with 13" shocks. You know the old saying, 80% rider and 20% bike.....

Old 02-09-2017, 03:47 PM
Sticks24
Road Warrior
Received 382 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by captbob
It must be that I don't fit the demographic they reportedly were targeting (young, African American, Hispanic) that the HD art department (I wouldn't call them stylists) was looking toward but that is one butt ugly ride. Also, the beautiful styling elements of the Road King have been erased with the murdered look. The beautiful aircraft inspired nacelle headlight is now just a big bulbous piece of metal. I wouldn't trade the looks of my 2005 Road King for that new lump on an even swap from a stylistic standpoint. It also strikes me how behind the curve the art department seems to be on trends. The blacked out look has somewhat come and gone. How sad and lacking in innovation IMO. If Harley is trying to attract a younger demographic, I think they are going to have to do MUCH better than this and come up with design/color elements that are innovative and stimulative to sales. I hate to be a wet blanket but stylistically, it just smacks of putting lipstick on a pig and calling the pig beautiful. Oh, wait a minute, maybe the pig analogy is a futuristic throw-forward or up to a 21st century hog that got barbequed. Beauty must truly reside in the eye of the beholder but I am going to need an antiemetic to swallow this one.
Funny, I completely disagree with you. This is the first Road King I would even entertain.

The following users liked this post:
Xcrossbow (02-09-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 03:49 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,693 Posts

Doesn't it have the same shocks as your bike?? I have no complaints with the handling of my SG with the 12" air shocks even coming off a road king with 13" shocks. You know the old saying, 80% rider and 20% bike.....
No.

'17's have completely different front shocks, and I believe the rears are different as well.

Mine came stock with the hand adjustable "Premium" rears that came on CVO's.

Old 02-09-2017, 03:58 PM
Hurricane19
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
No.

'17's have completely different front shocks, and I believe the rears are different as well.

Mine came stock with the hand adjustable "Premium" rears that came on CVO's.
The fronts are supposed to be better on the 17's over the previous years and the rear are 12" premiums just like yours. Your bike should have come with 12" premium shocks as well unless you upgraded them, my dad has the exact same bike as you.

Old 02-09-2017, 04:07 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 7,211 Likes on 3,427 Posts

The fronts are supposed to be better on the 17's over the previous years and the rear are 12" premiums just like yours. Your bike should have come with 12" premium shocks as well unless you upgraded them, my dad has the exact same bike as you.
Nope, Hacker is correct....read about the new front and rear suspension here:

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/har...upgrade#page-2

Quick Reply: 2017.5 New Model Release Tomorrow