General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First start up after storage

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 05:07 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,423 Likes on 6,180 Posts
Default First start up after storage

I'm just curious if there is anything specific you guys do before you start the bike up after winter storage. In previous years I normally would take the bike out for a ride once every few weeks or so during winter or at least start it up and let it idle for a few minutes. But this year I parked it in early December and have not started it, I plan to just keep it on the tender until March or whenever it warms up around here.
I guess my concern is there's no oil in the cylinders and not running it all winter then starting it up could damage the pistons or cylinder walls.

And yes I already know... "real bikers" ride all year long.

Old 02-03-2017, 05:19 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts

Nope. I just fire her up. In Wisconsin, my bike is usually stored 5-6 months. I've only owned this bike 6 years, but it doesn't sound stressed, when I start it in Spring.

Old 02-03-2017, 08:34 AM
Riich
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boe1971200
or at least start it up and let it idle for a few minutes.
This was the worst thing you can do. If you aren't going to ride it and get the engine to full operating temperature you shouldn't start it at all during the winter months. You caused more wear and tear doing that than what you are concerned about now. Start it this spring when you are ready to go for a ride and everything will be just fine.

The following 2 users liked this post by Riich:
mixxedupmedia (02-03-2017), Uncle G. (10-24-2018)
Old 02-03-2017, 09:27 AM
Labrador
Road Master
Received 503 Likes on 260 Posts

I too warm up my bike every few weeks during the winter.

-- It coats the parts inside the engine so condensation doesn't get a chance to form surface rust inside.
-- It moves the fuel through the lines so it doesn't get stale.
-- It returns any oil that may have drained down into the sump.
-- The battery also benefits from the temporary discharge of starting the bike. Some of the better battery tenders do this on purpose to prevent plate sulfation.
-- I also move the bike a few inches so the tires don't develop "flat spots".

As far as running it to full operating temperature, it doesn't take but a few minutes to bring the engine to full operating temperature. I know because I monitor the temperature in my phone (via the FP3's FM) and it gets to 198-210 degrees quickly.

But most importantly, it gives me a chance to spend time with the bike which is therapeutic for me.

The following users liked this post:
letapia (02-11-2017)
Old 02-03-2017, 09:32 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 658 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by boe1971200
I'm just curious if there is anything specific you guys do before you start the bike up after winter storage.
Yep. I put in the battery, then start the bike.

In previous years I normally would take the bike out for a ride once every few weeks or so during winter
Nice if your winters allow that. Ours don't. Too much salt, sand and gravel on the road surface, and it's just too freakin cold for me.

or at least start it up and let it idle for a few minutes.
Not a very good idea, not sure why you'd do that. Riding is one thing but just letting the engine run for a couple minutes accomplishes nothing.

But this year I parked it in early December and have not started it, I plan to just keep it on the tender until March or whenever it warms up around here.
I guess my concern is there's no oil in the cylinders and not running it all winter then starting it up could damage the pistons or cylinder walls.

And yes I already know... "real bikers" ride all year long.
Just keep it on the tender till you are ready to take it out to ride. Don't worry about it sitting all winter. It will be fine. Better then starting the engine for a few minutes every few weeks but not riding.

Old 02-03-2017, 09:35 AM
sailmotion
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,846 Likes on 3,238 Posts

If I get lucky and get a mild day or 2 thru the winter, I will exercise the bikes to circulate fluids, get parts moving, etc. Upon reaching the beginning of riding season, I do the following to dilute any StaBil in the tank from the beginning of "storage season": 1) ride until tank reaches 3/4 - top off; 2) continue to ride until tank reaches 1/2 - top off; 3) continue to ride until tank reaches 1/4 - top off; 4) thereafter, ride until my wife breaks my ***** about "you're going to run out of gas" and fill up as needed.

Old 02-03-2017, 09:41 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,423 Likes on 6,180 Posts

Originally Posted by Riich
This was the worst thing you can do. If you aren't going to ride it and get the engine to full operating temperature you shouldn't start it at all during the winter months. You caused more wear and tear doing that than what you are concerned about now. Start it this spring when you are ready to go for a ride and everything will be just fine.
I should have been more specific, I do let it get up to operating temp. I usually took it for a ride somewhere local. If not I would usually start it and let it idle for a good 10-15 minutes.

Old 02-03-2017, 09:48 AM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 93 Likes on 61 Posts

In the fall I clean it, put a good coat of wax on, change the oil, put a little extra air in the tires, put a battery tender on and cover it up.
I never touch it or start it during the winter.
In the spring I check the fluids, tires and tire pressure and start it up.

This method has worked with my bikes for 50 years now.

Old 02-03-2017, 09:56 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 658 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by Labrador
I too warm up my bike every few weeks during the winter.

-- It coats the parts inside the engine so condensation doesn't get a chance to form surface rust inside.
Not necessary. Simply fog the cylinder/ add a tsp or so of engine oil to the cylinder thru the spark plug hole, and turn the engine to "coat". Or just skip it.

-- It moves the fuel through the lines so it doesn't get stale.
You should use fuel preservative instead. If you are worried about stale fuel, why let it go stale in the first place? Add your stabilizer, and run the engine a few minutes to get stabilized gas into the entire fuel system. Done.

-- It returns any oil that may have drained down into the sump.
Perhaps. I don't know, but I wouldn't consider it does anything of value.
The bike will be fine if you just leave it be.

-- The battery also benefits from the temporary discharge of starting the bike. Some of the better battery tenders do this on purpose to prevent plate sulfation.
Cranking the battery to start the bike discharges it. Running the engine may not fully recharge it. Repeating this over and over without a nice long ride may be doing more damage than good for the battery. Just put it on a tender and forget about it.

-- I also move the bike a few inches so the tires don't develop "flat spots".
I guess it can't hurt. Never saw flat spots on any tire I've left sitting over time, including my previous bike, boat trailer, and snowblower.

As far as running it to full operating temperature, it doesn't take but a few minutes to bring the engine to full operating temperature. I know because I monitor the temperature in my phone (via the FP3's FM) and it gets to 198-210 degrees quickly.

But most importantly, it gives me a chance to spend time with the bike which is therapeutic for me
If that's what it takes for you to get thru winter, it's your bike. But I'm not convinced any of it is beneficial or necessary. For the bike, anyway. For you perhaps.

Old 02-03-2017, 09:58 AM
bettingpython
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 247 Likes on 198 Posts

If you've added stabil and used ethanol free gas there's no need to worry about the fuel going stale. Fog the cylinders with oil before storage no need to worry about condensation in the cylinders.

Change your oil in all 3 holes before parking it.

Even if you let it "warm up" to full operating temperature you are forming condensation in the cases, and not getting it hot enough to evaporate it out, especially in the transmission and primary. You're making corrosive soup, it's better to change the fluids, fog the cylinders and let it sit till your riding season starts. Water, oil and heat form corrosive compounds.

Quick Reply: First start up after storage