General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First start up after storage

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 10:04 AM
Eyeball Kid
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by boe1971200
I'm just curious if there is anything specific you guys do before you start the bike up after winter storage..
Usually wipe the tear from my eye when I see my bike, knowing I'll soon be behind bars.

Old 02-03-2017, 11:10 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,634 Likes on 1,629 Posts

Originally Posted by Labrador
I too warm up my bike every few weeks during the winter.

-- It coats the parts inside the engine so condensation doesn't get a chance to form surface rust inside.
-- It moves the fuel through the lines so it doesn't get stale.
-- It returns any oil that may have drained down into the sump.
-- The battery also benefits from the temporary discharge of starting the bike. Some of the better battery tenders do this on purpose to prevent plate sulfation.
-- I also move the bike a few inches so the tires don't develop "flat spots".

As far as running it to full operating temperature, it doesn't take but a few minutes to bring the engine to full operating temperature. I know because I monitor the temperature in my phone (via the FP3's FM) and it gets to 198-210 degrees quickly.

But most importantly, it gives me a chance to spend time with the bike which is therapeutic for me.
you are not getting the oil up to temp in a few minutes. you need to ride that thing for twenty miles for it to get the oil hot enough to burn any condensation out of it. maybe even father than that. oil temp is what is important, not engine temp. this is exactly the wrong thing to do to your bike in the winter months. you would do the bike more good by waxing it once in awhile during the winter. that's the way i spend time with my bike when it's cold, plus my beer frig. is out there.

Old 02-03-2017, 11:23 AM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 2,326 Likes on 1,452 Posts

I'm just curious if there is anything specific you guys do before you start the bike up after winter storage. In previous years I normally would take the bike out for a ride once every few weeks or so during winter or at least start it up and let it idle for a few minutes. But this year I parked it in early December and have not started it, I plan to just keep it on the tender until March or whenever it warms up around here.
I guess my concern is there's no oil in the cylinders and not running it all winter then starting it up could damage the pistons or cylinder walls.

And yes I already know... "real bikers" ride all year long.
if you're concerned about the cylinder walls, spray a fogger through the intake before storing the bike or put some Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders, and crank it over w/spark plugs grounded.
Starting these modern bikes in the Spring is just boring; turn the key,hit the starter, and they fire right up - not like the old days.

Old 02-03-2017, 11:31 AM
Mabbott
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by hardheaded
you are not getting the oil up to temp in a few minutes. you need to ride that thing for twenty miles for it to get the oil hot enough to burn any condensation out of it. maybe even father than that. oil temp is what is important, not engine temp. this is exactly the wrong thing to do to your bike in the winter months. you would do the bike more good by waxing it once in awhile during the winter. that's the way i spend time with my bike when it's cold, plus my beer frig. is out there.
This is what I've always been told. It's not good at all to just start up the engine for a little bit in the cold. Not just the engine oil, but your transmission. Your tranny fluid is not going to warm up enough unless your riding it. You start building up condensation and your oil can actually turn acidic when it mixes with water over time. Not a good thing. Just throw the tender on it and pray for warm weather.

Old 02-03-2017, 11:53 AM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 854 Posts

I don't believe there's really that much less oil on the cylinder walls than when you just leave it overnight.

Originally Posted by hardheaded

I don't believe that. Within about a mile, it should be up to full operating temperature.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 02-03-2017 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:08 PM
bradn
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

Us wimpy guys just take the bike to the dealership about Dec 1 and instruct them to have it ready to ride about mid March. See ya then...

Old 02-03-2017, 12:16 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

And yes I already know... "real bikers" ride all year long.
Well, I'm not a "biker"...that was in the 70s and I don't ride "all year long". But I do ride when the weathers nice. I don't ride when it's raining or if there's rain coming or when it's below 40°. But then, I don't store my bike...after all, it's Texas.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:57 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,760 Likes on 3,117 Posts

Originally Posted by Halojumper
I don't believe that. Within about a mile, it should be up to full operating temperature.
Maybe in August in Death Valley. Otherwise it'll take 15-20 minutes to get the oil up to "full operating temp." Longer if we're talking chaincase/trans.

Old 02-03-2017, 02:42 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,859 Likes on 2,554 Posts

The engine cases or metals maybe warm within a mile or so but oils in the primary, tranny and oil reservoir need to reach 180* for about 20 minutes to cause the condensation that has formed to evaporate. When you pull the dipstick out and you see the milky appearance, that is moisture in your oil. Sorry, you seem to have a problem believing us.

Old 02-03-2017, 04:19 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

Roll it around yes but dont run it unless you are going to heat it up all the way.
Bad idea.

Originally Posted by Labrador
I too warm up my bike every few weeks during the winter.

-- It coats the parts inside the engine so condensation doesn't get a chance to form surface rust inside.
-- It moves the fuel through the lines so it doesn't get stale.
-- It returns any oil that may have drained down into the sump.
-- The battery also benefits from the temporary discharge of starting the bike. Some of the better battery tenders do this on purpose to prevent plate sulfation.
-- I also move the bike a few inches so the tires don't develop "flat spots".

As far as running it to full operating temperature, it doesn't take but a few minutes to bring the engine to full operating temperature. I know because I monitor the temperature in my phone (via the FP3's FM) and it gets to 198-210 degrees quickly.

But most importantly, it gives me a chance to spend time with the bike which is therapeutic for me.

Quick Reply: First start up after storage