General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Security system issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 06:04 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 459 Likes on 358 Posts
Default Security system issue

I just picked up a 2017 RGU yesterday, rode it 200 mile home no issues. THis morning I was going to change the pin code for security to my personal code and have a problem. This is not my first HD nor the first time I have reset security codes but its the first time I have had this issue. Will call the dealership when they open but figured I would throw this out to see if anyone else had ran across this and may have a solution

I follow the steps to set security code, and get to 2 presses of left blinker and it shows "enter code" as if should then one press of right blinker which should then scroll your existing code. When I press the right blinker the screen in the odometer just goes blank. So I repeated the entire sequence several time ( I do have both fobs present) but get same result. Then it dawns on me that the red security light is not blinking in the odometer with the ignition off as it should. I get the fobs out of the area still not blinking lights to indicate the system is armed. I rock the bike back and forth and the flasher do not blink. Its like the security system is not even there.

Did google search and found lots of things about security but none about the indicator light not being on.

Anyone ran across this before. This is a 2017 RGU but security is the same on all the HDs as far as I know. Also I cannot tell you if the security indicator light was ever at on at any point when it was parked yesterday.

Last edited by Mxdad; 01-28-2017 at 06:09 AM.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:07 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,007 Likes on 4,197 Posts

Just sticking around to see what you find. Know on my 04 which is a totally different animal left me scratching my head a few times setting the code. Seemed touchy even when you followed the method exactly.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 01-28-2017 at 06:12 AM.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:25 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member

My guess at this point is that the dealership either did not connect something to do with the system or did not enter their normal code at set up. Hopefully it is something they can handle with me on the phone when they open. But atleast I can still ride just don't have security working

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Just sticking around to see what you find. Know on my 04 which is a totally different animal left me scratching my head a few times setting the code. Seemed touchy even when you followed the method exactly.
I know setting it can be tricky put I have done it on several of my own bikes as well as for several friends. At this point I don't think its an issue with setting the new code the issue is the system is not working at all. If it was working when it is parked with the ignition off you should get the little red light blinking in the dash to indicate the security is armed. In my case there is not red light and as I said I did not notice it being on during deliver and the walk through but its one of those things that I am so used to seeing that I really pay no attention

After doing some more google searching I do see where there have been cases of folks getting a new bike home and noticing that the security light does not blink when the bike is turned off. It seems that the dealership has to activate they system as part of the set up or it just does not work. My guess at this point is dealer either did not activate it or assign the two fobs. I will update this when I speak to them today, hopefully thats all it is and I can just bring it into a dealer at some point and have them activate the system

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 01-28-2017 at 09:02 AM.
Old 01-28-2017, 07:37 AM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 537 Likes on 461 Posts

When I picked up my 14 FLHTK I never noticed if the red light blinked for the security. A day later I tried to enter a pin number and that's when I found out the security was not working. I could not enter a pin and the bike would also start without the fobs anywhere near it. I also finally paid enough attention to notice that the turn signals never flashed to indicate the security was armed. I took it to my local dealer and the had to activate the security, marry the fobs, and they entered a pin for me. No big deal and it's worked fine for 3 years now.

Old 01-28-2017, 08:07 AM
fish-r-ride
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

My '08 system wasn't working when I got it. Dealer sure was worried untill I got it back to them. Put your fob in another room in a drawer with the door closed and see if your bike cranks, mine did.

Old 01-28-2017, 08:30 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 519 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Mxdad
My guess at this point is that the dealership either did not connect something to do with the system or did not enter their normal code at set up.
That would be my guess as well.

Originally Posted by Mxdad
It seems that the dealership has to activate they system as part of the set up or it just does not work. My guess at this point is dealer either did not activate it or assign the two fobs.
Correct.

Should be an easy resolution to your problem.

Hope this isn't an indication of normal service/procedure for that dealer.
This is something that should have been done as part of the normal setup and pre-delivery of every bike they sell.

Old 01-28-2017, 08:30 AM
BuzzCap7
Club Member
Received 18,577 Likes on 10,773 Posts

Mxdad, that is exactly what happened to me as well. I think the instructions in the book you get with the bike is incorrect.

I just tried to find the right video and I think this is it.

Click
, and hopefully this will bring you to the proper video showing you how to put in your new pin.

I apologize if I found the wrong video. It did take me several tries even with the video. I took notes in that help.

If the above does not work, let me know and I will try again to find the video that actually has it right.

But I can assure you my friend, you are not alone.

Good luck!

BuzzCap7

The following users liked this post:
BigTinVA (01-28-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 09:37 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member

Talked to service at the dealership today and it sounds like it was never activated. As I said with ignition off the red light in the dash is not blinking. With fobs a way from bike I could move bike off sidestand and blinkers to flash. Then put fobs in the house and cranked up bike.
Dealer said they had been having an issue with program that program's security/fob showing activation but not activating on and intermittent basis and we guess that was the issue here. So no big deal I'll just bring both fobs when I'm there next and get it done

Old 01-28-2017, 10:17 AM
BigTinVA
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7
Mxdad, that is exactly what happened to me as well. I think the instructions in the book you get with the bike is incorrect.

I just tried to find the right video and I think this is it.

Click, and hopefully this will bring you to the proper video showing you how to put in your new pin.

I apologize if I found the wrong video. It did take me several tries even with the video. I took notes in that help.

If the above does not work, let me know and I will try again to find the video that actually has it right.

But I can assure you my friend, you are not alone.

Good luck!

BuzzCap7
Much appreciated, BuzzCap7. I know the instructions in my service manual are unclear if not just incorrect. Watched that video and was able to set my codes on the first try.

I was using the fork mounted ignition switch instead of the engine stop switch on the right hand control for the on-off-on-off-on sequence. My service manual reads: "With fobs present, cycle ignition switch IGNITION-OFF-IGNITION-OFF-IGNITION." Then the rest of the process is the same for changing the code.

Old 01-28-2017, 12:00 PM
chamokie
Supporter
Received 246 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by 14GuineaPig
When I picked up my 14 FLHTK I never noticed if the red light blinked for the security. A day later I tried to enter a pin number and that's when I found out the security was not working. I could not enter a pin and the bike would also start without the fobs anywhere near it. I also finally paid enough attention to notice that the turn signals never flashed to indicate the security was armed. I took it to my local dealer and the had to activate the security, marry the fobs, and they entered a pin for me. No big deal and it's worked fine for 3 years now.
That is what happened to me. Not programed at the dealer. 15 minutes there and all set to go.

Quick Reply: Security system issue