General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Security system issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 12:12 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,370 Likes on 2,543 Posts

Originally Posted by Mxdad
Dealer said they had been having an issue with program that program's security/fob showing activation but not activating on and intermittent basis and we guess that was the issue here.
so would it be that hard for the dealership to verify the operation of your security after they do the pdi to make sure that it's working? you shouldn't have to 'double check' their work for them....

Old 01-28-2017, 12:57 PM
RandyL
Road Captain
Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

how much did the dealer charge you for setup?

if they charged you anything, you should try and get something since you did not get what you paid for.

Old 01-28-2017, 09:15 PM
BuzzCap7
Club Member
Received 18,577 Likes on 10,773 Posts

Originally Posted by BigTinVA
Much appreciated, BuzzCap7. I know the instructions in my service manual are unclear if not just incorrect. Watched that video and was able to set my codes on the first try.

I was using the fork mounted ignition switch instead of the engine stop switch on the right hand control for the on-off-on-off-on sequence. My service manual reads: "With fobs present, cycle ignition switch IGNITION-OFF-IGNITION-OFF-IGNITION." Then the rest of the process is the same for changing the code.
1st off my friend, you are very welcome and I am happy I could help.

Secondly which I think is funny, you are the only person ever, ever, ever that I can recall that actually called me by my full name. And I actually like that. Pretty cool.

Have a wonderful day and I hope you are out riding (if there is no snow wherever you happen to be living) all week among.

BuzzCap7

Old 01-28-2017, 09:50 PM
klup
Tourer
Received 109 Likes on 62 Posts

I like my 2015 slim but don't really care for the security system I am thinking about talking to the dealer next month when I get my 15,000 mile service about enabling it

Old 01-29-2017, 04:50 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 459 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyL

if they charged you anything, you should try and get something since you did not get what you paid for.
This dealership has always gone above an beyond in my experiences with them that includes, parts, service sale motorcloths etc..., their service dept is one of the top rated in the country. Should this issue have been caught at the dealership? Yes without a doubt, but as it turns out it is not that big of a deal and not causing me any inconvenience. I had decided that due to this being a M8 I would let the dealership do the 1K service so the re-programming can be done at that point in a couple of weeks. However being a guy that is always looking for a bargain I will be sure to bring it in hopes of getting a little knocked off the 1K service.

On the bright side I put another 150 miles on the RGU yesterday and all I can say about that bike/engine is WOW

The following users liked this post:
RandyL (01-29-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 06:40 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,913 Likes on 4,135 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
so would it be that hard for the dealership to verify the operation of your security after they do the pdi to make sure that it's working? you shouldn't have to 'double check' their work for them....
That was my first thought as well.

Originally Posted by RandyL

I agree. It seems the dealer prep fee has been more of a "traditional" fee charged to buyers whether prep has been done or not. I'm sure it generates a significant revenue for dealerships over the course of time.

If they are going to charge for it, then they need to perform the service correctly. If they don't, whether an oversight or otherwise, then the buyer should be reimbursed in part for the prep that wasn't completed.

Originally Posted by klup
I like my 2015 slim but don't really care for the security system I am thinking about talking to the dealer next month when I get my 15,000 mile service about enabling it
Do you mean DISabling it?

Originally Posted by Mxdad
... their service dept is one of the top rated in the country...
How is this determined and by what standard?

The following users liked this post:
RandyL (01-29-2017)