General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non-leather motorcycle gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 09:31 PM
Whiskyjock
Road Captain
Received 146 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Non-leather motorcycle gear

I'm getting to the point in life where I don't bounce so good anymore. I tend to break. Both my sons ride and they have me interested in armored synthetic riding gear. I checked out Revzilla and was gobsmacked at the variety of synthetic gear available.

Can anyone give me a few hints at what to look for in this stuff. I ride in all kinds of weather but draw the line at ice and snow.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:40 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,734 Likes on 3,100 Posts

Sure! www.aerostitch.com

They are "tailor" fit too.

The following users liked this post:
J.Tours (01-31-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 09:50 PM
lmar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,073 Likes on 2,055 Posts

I have been using non leather riding Jackets for over 25 years. At the present time I am riding with a Harley non leather waterproof jacket. I prefer the non leather because they are lighter, last for ever and most of them have a good number of vents for warmer temperatures. I don't worry about a removable liner because if it gets that cold I'll put on my heated Gerbings liner.
Olympia is a good name https://olympiamotosports.com/en-US As well as Aerostitch as stated by North Flatz.

Old 01-27-2017, 10:37 PM
teeroy_
Road Warrior
Received 266 Likes on 138 Posts

I've always been a fan of textile gear, I have an FXRG jacket as well as a Joe Rocket jacket for warmer temps, both with kevlar reinforcement and removable armor. Klim makes some high quality gear as well, it's pricey stuff though. the only leather I wear is a pair of chaps, I'm going to textile armored pants for the coming season. either Klim or the new FXR pants

Old 01-27-2017, 10:39 PM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 215 Posts

Joe Rocket fan here from my sport bike days.

Old 01-27-2017, 10:42 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,693 Posts

Textile jackets are the only way to go. No matter the weather, the season, or the heat or cold, you'll find a jacket that works.

And the prices can be astonishingly reasonable, as long as you stay away from the "trendy" brands.

Old 01-28-2017, 04:35 AM
LoneWoolf
Stellar HDF Member
Received 714 Likes on 488 Posts

Aerostich.com is the way to go for serious riding. Their apparel is not a fashion statement but is highly technical in fulfilling function. Even if you don't shell out the $$ for Aerostich, you can get an idea of what makes up the difference between an $800 jacket and a $150. It's really about the components and includes, fabric, hardware, zippers, thread, stitching as well as design. I would also recommend BMW Motorcycle apparel. It is top quality and $ as well, but engineered properly.

If you want top quality apparel, take a look at IronButt riders that do the full 11 day challenge, I'll bet Aerostich is pretty common part of the plan.

The following users liked this post:
cookiemech (01-28-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 07:06 AM
ISP-FLHTK
Road Captain
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

I will be following the suggestions and information on this post. My heavy leather jacket, which I rarely wear, has to be on a heavy duty wood hanger because it weighs to much. Even though I never could transition to a heel shifter, it is time to look at textile jackets I think.

Old 01-28-2017, 08:24 AM
jusa
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Have a look at www.rukka.com. Not the cheapest gear, but very likely the best. Very appreciated in Europe.

Old 01-28-2017, 09:18 AM
StoneyFatBoy
Road Master
Received 130 Likes on 90 Posts

Agree with big papa can't go wrong with Joe Rocket as long as it has armour or room to add armour

Quick Reply: Non-leather motorcycle gear