General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non-leather motorcycle gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 09:22 AM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 2,318 Likes on 1,445 Posts

I have three textile jackets in addition to my leather jackets and Aerostitch suit. My newest textile jacket is made by TourMaster, and has two zip out linings; one is insulated, and one is a windbreaker. The TourMaster has dayglo green panels. The other two are Olympia and First Gear; they're good too. I checked out some Harley textile jackets but they didn't have the features that most other brands have. Alpine Star also makes some nice textile gear.

Old 01-29-2017, 02:39 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

http://www.revzilla.com

I have a Firstgear Kathmandu jacket myself. Revzilla is an excellent place for gear. I live minutes from them. Watch their videos.

Last edited by baka1969; 01-29-2017 at 02:41 AM.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:48 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by ISP-FLHTK
I will be following the suggestions and information on this post. My heavy leather jacket, which I rarely wear, has to be on a heavy duty wood hanger because it weighs to much. Even though I never could transition to a heel shifter, it is time to look at textile jackets I think.
Although my FXRG jacket weighs a ton and is quite a bit heavier than my Schott Perfecto, don't think that all quality textile gear is light. Some of it is also heavy. I doubt as heavy as my FXRG. That sucker has a lot of heft.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:56 AM
gotmeaharley
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a good quality textile jacket and a traditional leather. Prefer the textile in summer because it's light but the leather in winter.

Old 01-29-2017, 12:31 PM
user 62642348
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought a Joe Rocket armoured shirt last summer to replace my much-loved 30 year old leather jacket. I'm very happy with it. It looks good and it feels right,so much so that I'm planning to buy a pair of Rocket armoured jeans.

Old 01-29-2017, 02:45 PM
DeaD SpacE
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Made in USA and lots of options for customization.

http://www.motoport.com/

Old 01-29-2017, 06:07 PM
brudford
Tourer
Received 117 Likes on 71 Posts

I ride a Sporster and like the textile stuff . For me I purchased a Sliders all season jacket in Hi-Vis yellow/black color so the texters can see me . Also bought a couple pair of Sliders Kevlar jeans . Jacket came with CE approved armour in the elbows,shoulders and back . Both purchased from Competition Accessories . Free shippping over 49.00$ . I would like to buy a good leather jacket some day with the CE approved armor, but looking at 400.00$-700.00$ for what I want . Around here in Western PA you do not see alot of Harley riders sporting the Textile stuff . The required Harley uniform is to start off with a bright red doo-rag, short sleeve leather open vest ,blue jeans and never a helmet . If you do not look like a pirate then you just have it all wrong .

Last edited by brudford; 01-29-2017 at 06:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-29-2017, 07:05 PM
farmboy555
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 96 Posts

Good luck, lots to choose from for sure

Old 01-29-2017, 07:45 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,043 Likes on 7,312 Posts

Folks like you I prefer textiles over leather. I own a lot of leather but find it bulky, heavy and cold.

Here is what works for me:

1) If cold weather you need a really good base layer. I own two sets of Under Armour. I can tell you that my Fleece lined UA base layer is simply AWESOME. The best money I have ever spent. I have actually left my heated gear at home on 30 and 40 degree rides when my buddies are plugged in.

I will probably will tell you that my leather pants are extremely comfortable over the lower base level and I prefer wearing them to all other options I have.

2) Next I purchased a HEAVY lined Harley Davidson shirt about four years ago. It is very well made, extremely comfortable and really warm in the upper 40's and 50's. It folds up small and just looks cool. I even wear to evening services at church. Pictures attached.

3) Next comes Duluth Trading. These folks sell some awesome clothing. I started wearing the Fire Hose Pants a couple of years ago. Then switched totally to their "Buck Naked" underwear. It is worth every dime! I even have a couple of pairs of ArmaChillo's for hot summer riding and they work! Well my wife surprised me for my birthday with a Firehose Shirt / Jacket. It is lined and very well made. I rode 70 miles today with a high of 49 and a good wind. I had an undershirt, sweatshirt and the Firehose shirt on top. I did some interstate riding at 75 mph and a lot of back roads 55 mph riding. I never got the first bit cold. I actually have already fallen in love with this shirt. I am 6'1" tall and the wife bought a TALL size and it is perfect. Pictures attached.

Hope this helps someone. I like quality and comfort. Plus it is nice having something you can wear while not riding that looks good.

Attached Thumbnails Non-leather motorcycle gear-img_3609.jpg   Non-leather motorcycle gear-img_3611.jpg   Non-leather motorcycle gear-img_3606.jpg   Non-leather motorcycle gear-img_3604.jpg   Non-leather motorcycle gear-img_3607.jpg  

Old 01-30-2017, 11:13 AM
Bart van der Meulen
Road Master
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

We have both. Leather for the colder days and synthetic HD jacket for warm weather. They are armoured with kevlar fabrics and they are ventilating as the best. One disadvantage: you will drink water like hell cause you lose a lot of moisture through your skin and evaporation.

Quick Reply: Non-leather motorcycle gear