General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Glide to Heritage?..

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017 | 12:15 PM
LXT
Road Master

Originally Posted by RedNose44
Bullshit! This statement tells me you have not ridden a late model touring bike. I owned nothing but Softails until last year (still own one with forward controls), and it's no comparison in the mountains. Go to HD's site and look at the different lean angles for the different bikes, or better yet go ride a touring bike. My boards on my FB when I traded it in were worn down to the point that the edges were sharp like a knife. It was terrible in the twisties.

Wow.... I guess when I rented an 09, 14 & 16 SG along with a demo on a 16 RK as well a demo on a 16 Chieftain, I wasn't on a TOURING bike? are these late model? LOL.

I call BULLSHIT on the lean angle you are suggesting, a stock motorcycle is a one size fits all basically! its what fits the individual the best & from there one has to modify it to meet their needs / wants / riding habits, Etc. of which I through the years have done!!!!!!!

If the boards on your Fatboy were ground down then that's your unwillingness to remedy it, ive ridden the poser glide many times & Ill take my "dated" non late model touring bike any day!!!! Perhaps the "twisties" aren't your thing IDK - Ive never had a problem keeping up with a "late model" touring bike on my Heritage & I think ive ridden a few? do the bikes above meet your criteria as such?

Hey, to the OP pick what fits you best in stock form & believe me you will spend money on making it yours! good luck....Psst if you get an SG get any color but black, its funny watching all the bad azz pirates at the rallies trying to find their Black SG - some rallies issue name tags & designated parking for black SG`s - LOL, just kidding!

Old 01-28-2017 | 11:58 PM
RedNose44
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Army

^^^ I don't know what to say if you think lean angles on the different bikes don't matter (maybe HD should stop listing that info on their site if it's bullshit). It's not just boards, but exhaust, primary cover etc...

My "remedy" for my FB issues was to get a more capable bike for the type of riding I do. The Softails have the worst lean angles of any bike in the HD line. Scrapping metal off of my FB every time I hit the mountains got old.

I have a sportbike background, and still spend a lot of my time riding the same mountains. If "twisties" were not my thing, I guess my less capable FB would still be in my garage. I bought my bikes to ride, not to hang out at rallies.

Last edited by RedNose44; 01-29-2017 at 12:03 AM.
Old 01-29-2017 | 10:10 AM
LXT
Road Master

^^^ I don't know what to say if you think lean angles on the different bikes don't matter (maybe HD should stop listing that info on their site if it's bullshit)....

My "remedy" for my FB issues was to get a more capable bike for the type of riding I do. The Softails have the worst lean angles of any bike in the HD line. Scrapping metal off of my FB every time I hit the mountains got old. It's not just boards, but exhaust, primary cover etc

I have a sportbike background, and still spend a lot of my time riding the same mountains. If "twisties" were not my thing, I guess my less capable FB would still be in my garage. I bought my bikes to ride, not to hang out at rallies.

Look - I agree with the stock lean angle on the softail sucks - but if you read my post I'm saying to Modify your boards with what suits your riding needs. there is no need to drag boards with all the options out there!!!!

if you are suggesting that one would lean a softail hard enough to drag pipes & primary?????? well - Now that is bullshit & you`re drinking your own bathwater!

I really don't go to many rallies (1 or 2 in the past 5 years?), most of what I go to are multi bike events & are of vintage era & usually that's a good ride for me & the group I ride with, its just funny when at these events that what you see are the SG crowd with their blacked out, chubby ape hanger look at me I'm a bad azz types.

I usually am at the Norton, triumph, BSA, Vincent, etc... tents admiring the history & getting educated by the "non late model crowd" ya know, guys that ride with no GPS, CD-player, MP3/I-pod tech crap. we/I am the types that love our bikes for the simplicity of what they were meant to be! Now it seems Image is more important & the SG crowd for the most part are the worst.

The street glide is a nice bike - But..... one can & will modify whatever STOCK bike they get & a Heritage can be done up to be more than capable of touring with all the comforts of the so called touring line up.

Case in point - If I can do 300 - 500 mile consecutive days on an 02 Heritage riding with guys of "late model bikes" - well......I don't know what else to say

Old 01-29-2017 | 12:18 PM
RedNose44
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by LXT
Look - I agree with the stock lean angle on the softail sucks - but if you read my post I'm saying to Modify your boards with what suits your riding needs. there is no need to drag boards with all the options out there!!!!

if you are suggesting that one would lean a softail hard enough to drag pipes & primary?????? well - Now that is bullshit & you`re drinking your own bathwater!

I really don't go to many rallies (1 or 2 in the past 5 years?), most of what I go to are multi bike events & are of vintage era & usually that's a good ride for me & the group I ride with, its just funny when at these events that what you see are the SG crowd with their blacked out, chubby ape hanger look at me I'm a bad azz types.

I usually am at the Norton, triumph, BSA, Vincent, etc... tents admiring the history & getting educated by the "non late model crowd" ya know, guys that ride with no GPS, CD-player, MP3/I-pod tech crap. we/I am the types that love our bikes for the simplicity of what they were meant to be! Now it seems Image is more important & the SG crowd for the most part are the worst.

The street glide is a nice bike - But..... one can & will modify whatever STOCK bike they get & a Heritage can be done up to be more than capable of touring with all the comforts of the so called touring line up.

Case in point - If I can do 300 - 500 mile consecutive days on an 02 Heritage riding with guys of "late model bikes" - well......I don't know what else to say
Yes, I scrapped my pipes on my FB and have also scrapped the primary cover on my Springer (On the bottom where it bolts to the case). Scrapping pipes on my FB was not hard. Even during slow tight turns in a parking lot you could touch the ends on the pavement. I am Talking after market pipes, which most people are running (V&H Big Shots). The stock pipes are higher, but who is running stock pipes? Also with the stock pipes, you can't fit normal bags.

I have also scrapped the pipes on my SG (V&H Power Duals) on the shield right behind the board, but it is much harder. I actually use a black sharpie to cover the scrape marks on the black shields.

As far as rallies and different types of bikes, my Springer is stripped down. I liked stripped down bikes. I like a lot of different types of bikes. I ride with guys on all different types of bikes (rode with a guy on a Heritage yesterday). Whatever works. If the Heritage is what is best for you, that's what matters. The touring frame works best for me most days, but I still like taking my Springer out for shorter rides that don't go into the mountains.

Old 01-29-2017 | 12:29 PM
RedNose44
Extreme HDF Member

Zoom in on this pic and look at the rear on the pipes if you don't believe me. You can clearly see the scrape marks.

Attached Thumbnails Street Glide to Heritage?..-img_0823.jpg  
Old 01-29-2017 | 09:01 PM
not a sock
Seasoned HDF Member

Zoom in on this pic and look at the rear on the pipes if you don't believe me. You can clearly see the scrape marks.

I bet you drag before the guy with the 'blue helmet' in your pic drags.....

Old 01-29-2017 | 09:11 PM
RedNose44
Extreme HDF Member

^^^ Yeah, that mountain is popular for cyclist as well as motorcycles. Those guys actually bomb down the roads pretty fast. I think he has a little better lean angle.

Old 01-30-2017 | 12:17 PM
Seasoned HDF Member

I would think the SG would be more comfortable than the Heritage, if this is what you looking for.

Old 01-30-2017 | 04:16 PM
LXT
Road Master

Well I zoomed in & I still don't see how you drag the pipes & the clearance on the frame is good.....But I see the board on your left with ability to touch down But not your pipes or frame!

Is that a FB low? on my Heritage I would scrape the crash bar way before anything else & if I dragged pipes or primary id have wrecked the bike cause short of laying it down there aint no way no how I'm dragging / scraping engine parts!

But hey if you think a SG is the ticket that's your call & why we all have choices, BTW I like the bike - sharp scoot!!!

Old 01-30-2017 | 04:32 PM
lightweight bob
Road Master

Over the past twenty some years I've had three of each - softails and FLH's. For me solo
or just short trips with her on the back of less than 250 miles a day, my choice is the
softail. But going on a trip like Sturgis with her it's the FLH - going alone it's the softail.

Quick Reply: Street Glide to Heritage?..