General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Evo bike weight VS Twin Cam?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 04:50 AM
Unsung
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evo bike weight VS Twin Cam?

I was comparing my 1997 Touring bike weight to some of the newer bikes, noticed they weigh quite a bit more. Wondering if this is accurate, or where the weight comes from? Comparing big twin bikes from EVO to Twin Cam, looks like twin cam bikes weigh 50 pounds more? Also saw that an EVO Electra Glide Standard, weighs 100 pounds less than a Street Glide TC. These were dry weights listed on a few different web sites.

Old 01-18-2017, 05:33 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

Harley-Davidson throws around 50# or 100# like it's going out of style. 100# is a tremendous amount of weight. On Sport bikes they talk about a gain or loss of 8# like it's a major disappointment or a marvel.

I laugh when I hear someone says their 850# bike handles like a 700# bike. No it doesn't. Simple physics says it doesn't.

I think every Harley-Davidson made today needs to go on a diet of at least 15% of their current weights. No-one will convince me that 900# is better than 775#. That 600# is better than 510#. Just think what losing 15% will do to their power-to-weight ratios?

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (01-18-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 05:45 AM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 15,815 Likes on 6,704 Posts

Alarm systems, infotainment, antilock brakes, numerous computerized systems with various sensors etc add up. Add to that that fork tube diameter has increased, frame rigidity has increased, engine displacement has increased, number of gears in the transmission has increased, more powerful starters and charging systems are now used, etc.

Some geezers want a luxury car on two wheels. All that extra crap and stuff to support isn't light.

How come there has been so much concern about the weight of a Harley in the last 12 months, especially with regard to touring bikes? I could see that coming up about Dynas, Sportsters, and VRODS, but it hasn't.

You don't buy a Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham and expect it to weigh as little as a Corvette and perform like one.

Touring bikes are more about long haul comfort, stability, and convenience.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:31 AM
GRWHD
Road Warrior
Received 256 Likes on 207 Posts

^^^^^^^ The more chit you add the more chit weights^^^^^^

Harley could put there big bikes (all bikes) on a diet..... but that would cost $$$$$$
Money they would have to pass on to the customer (or double/triple it) and they are already having "issues" with the sales numbers they are pushing to make stock holders happy.

That does sound like a cool project though "Rushmore on a DIET"...

Old 01-18-2017, 07:34 AM
boston jim
Contact IB Sales to have your account opened
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Remember when chrome parts were extra $, H-D now charges more $ for vivid Black paint, Go Figure!

Old 01-18-2017, 08:09 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,770 Likes on 2,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
Alarm systems, infotainment, antilock brakes, numerous computerized systems with various sensors etc add up. Add to that that fork tube diameter has increased, frame rigidity has increased, engine displacement has increased, number of gears in the transmission has increased, more powerful starters and charging systems are now used, etc.

Some geezers want a luxury car on two wheels. All that extra crap and stuff to support isn't light.

How come there has been so much concern about the weight of a Harley in the last 12 months, especially with regard to touring bikes? I could see that coming up about Dynas, Sportsters, and VRODS, but it hasn't.

You don't buy a Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham and expect it to weigh as little as a Corvette and perform like one.

Touring bikes are more about long haul comfort, stability, and convenience.
Unfortunately, for this geezer, the added weight of the baggers has pretty much removed them from consideration. I'm getting older, but no stronger. As much as I might like a new Street Glide the extra 150 pounds over my Evo Softail is a deal breaker for me.

Old 01-18-2017, 08:33 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

As mentioned above, HD buyers today want everything an up-rated Honda Civic has. That sh*t weigh ALOT. The double whammy of all that crap is that it costs a lot of money to repair or replace so when a "technobarge" gets long in the tooth, the owners look to trade for another so they can have piece of mind. Harley doesn't mind that at all.

Money drives every successful company. Harley is more concerned with selling heavy, featured and expensive motorcycles to people who're gonna trade it in for a new one when it goes out of warranty than they are selling me and 13 other guys a sub-600 pound Dyna with good suspension.

All that said, customers and products that I don't necessarily see eye to eye with keeps the company afloat and allowed me to take delivery of a brand new set of 2002 FXDX/T fork legs last week. Pretty darn good that you can walk into a dealer or order online parts for a motorcycle that's 15 years old and was discontinued at that.

Old 01-18-2017, 08:49 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 476 Likes on 278 Posts

My current Fat Bob weighs about the same as the FLH S I test rode in 1976. Has about the same level of comfort, but way more power and is 103 TC vs 74 inch Shovel.
Handles nicer, runs smoother, less issues with EFI etc etc. Add on all the extras, and just like the riders themselves, the "loaded" bikes weigh more and are far less nimble. I can still get what I liked years ago only much improved, so I'm not complaining. I think the only place the 1/2 ton FLH's excel is on a 4 lane freeway, which I avoid like the plague.
Can't envision how HD could cut much weight without loosing a lot of doo-dads; I believe even the Gold Wing is up in FLH territory weight wise

Old 01-18-2017, 08:57 AM
Taggs
Road Warrior
Received 441 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Unsung
I was comparing my 1997 Touring bike weight to some of the newer bikes, noticed they weigh quite a bit more. Wondering if this is accurate, or where the weight comes from? Comparing big twin bikes from EVO to Twin Cam, looks like twin cam bikes weigh 50 pounds more? Also saw that an EVO Electra Glide Standard, weighs 100 pounds less than a Street Glide TC. These were dry weights listed on a few different web sites.
To your question, the largest contributing weight difference is structural design(frame) and drive line changes IMO. I have over the years owned a few bikes. The new models ride and handling is so much better.

I ask this, would you really notice 50-100 lbs difference on a touring bike? Hmmm...

Last edited by Taggs; 01-18-2017 at 09:01 AM.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:37 AM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 15,815 Likes on 6,704 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
Unfortunately, for this geezer, the added weight of the baggers has pretty much removed them from consideration. I'm getting older, but no stronger. As much as I might like a new Street Glide the extra 150 pounds over my Evo Softail is a deal breaker for me.
Just to clarify, I wasn't intending a jab at you Uncle G.

I got so weak I couldn't ride anymore, so I was far worse off than you. I got enough strength back to ride again. And I started eating a lot different. This past weekend I joined gym even. I ain't giving up while I'm still breathing.

Like you, I'll stick with my Evo Heritage though.

Quick Reply: Evo bike weight VS Twin Cam?