General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New from NY, looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017 | 03:42 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,352 Likes on 1,873 Posts

Originally Posted by beanoboy
I wouldn't start with a bike that 'needs help' as that is a recipe for many hours of swearing and frustration and could put you off bikes completely ! Go for a Metric to start as they are usually bullet proof [if looked after even a little bit] and a lot cheaper to insure and buy than a H.D, then after plenty practice and motorcycle classes, you will have the 'bug !...b.
I agree.
There are lots of great running, used bikes (including H-D's) for sale especially during this time of the year.
Unless you are a mechanic, or someone who likes "tinkering" on a bike as opposed to riding it, get one in good running order, take the safety course and ride!

Old 01-08-2017 | 06:49 PM
RallyRob
|
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A rider course is in the works, but in in the spring probably.

I've ridden other people's dirt bikes and mopeds before without issue, and shifting is no problem.

A problem bike is exactly how I start new hobbies. My last was Rally- bought a basket case rally car that sat for 5+ years, then completed 4 events with it the following season.

No cheaper way to learn a machine than to make it work, I think. That's why I'm starting looking now!

Old 01-09-2017 | 09:15 AM
cowboydoc
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 1,150 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by RWTDCT
Welcome from the central coast of California

If you have never ridden before get a smaller bike to learn the fundamentals. Once you have done that start graduating.

I would also recommend you taking a M/C class.

Good luck and enjoy!

Welcome from Oklahoma. Good advice here along with the others.

Three years ago I had never ridden a motorcycle. I started with the MSF and bought a used Yamaha Virago 250 for under $1000 off craigslist. Road that for a year, even though I probably could have upgraded after a month or two. I sold that bike for $1200 on craigslist the next spring and bought a used V Star 950 for about $4500. I road that for a year taking longer trips before I was sure I wanted to upgrade. I looked at lots of bikes and finally decided on a 2014 Road King. It is perfect for me, at least for the foreseeable future.

Whatever you decide, be safe and have fun.

Old 01-09-2017 | 11:16 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,933 Likes on 2,444 Posts

My .02

As stated take the MSF or equivalent class

Now about the bike.. Few things.. Buying a project, well by the time you add up the dollars youre going to be putting into it, it maybe (and most likely will be) cheaper to buy a ride-ready unit. Also because you never have ridden, just because you follow the directions doesn't mean it was done right and not knowing how its supposed to react or feel, you may be at a disadvantage

Best bang for the buck, well you may want to ride a Dyna as well as the Sportster. Nothing wrong with an XL, you may just like the Dyna better for not all that much more,,

Old 01-09-2017 | 11:37 AM
warprints
Road Warrior
Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by RallyRob

I've ridden other people's dirt bikes and mopeds before without issue, and shifting is no problem.

A problem bike is exactly how I start new hobbies. My last was Rally- bought a basket case rally car that sat for 5+ years, then completed 4 events with it the following season.

No cheaper way to learn a machine than to make it work, I think. That's why I'm starting looking now!
If you are mechanically inclined - which it seems you are - resurrecting a basket case may be the best way to go.

Old 01-18-2017 | 01:22 AM
RallyRob
|
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So then now, the hard part, Is finding said basket case.

Old 01-18-2017 | 01:25 PM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,462 Likes on 2,601 Posts

By all means take the MSF course. You all ready know you can ride so starting on a smaller bike is a waste of time to me. Plenty of cheap Sportsters out there to be had. Just doing basic maintenance after you buy will get your blood flowing enough to see if you want to make it your own. Plenty of wrench time involved just checking it out. Buy a H-D manual,don't waste your time with a Clymers or whatever there called. Good luck and keep us updated on your journey. Welcome to the forums Rob

Old 01-18-2017 | 02:10 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

Now is the time to buy....Winter!! Do yourself a favor and don't get something that needs a lot of work... Craigslist,Cycle trader....ECT....
Take a rider course..It will fix problems you may have hopefully before they start...
Learn from Brad...Don't be Brad....

Old 01-18-2017 | 02:26 PM
Mopar5599
Outstanding HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 362 Likes on 355 Posts

I had a lot of years on a sport bike. This past June I moved over to my first Harley. I went to the dealer demo ride and rode every demo bike they had. I bought a sportster 48 knowing it was gonna be my learning bike. I put mods on it rode it and learned about it. Then I moved up to a Dyna Low Rider S last week.

Ride them all and start from there. Take a MSF rider course. If u get a sportster chances are u will move to a bigger bike so keep that in mind.

Old 01-18-2017 | 02:34 PM
sailmotion
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,846 Likes on 3,238 Posts

Originally Posted by RallyRob

The rider course is the best step in your process. An added bonus (at least in NY) is, if you pass the MSF course, you get a waiver on the road test for your license [assuming you don't already have one].

If you are not in a rush to purchase, and a Sportster is your first choice, you might want to consider a ride up to Danbury [CT] Harley in the early Spring. They have a rental fleet where you can get a reasonably priced 24-hour test drive. Seriously consider heading north from Danbury on Route 7. The first several miles suck, but once past New Milford the riding is awesome all the way into Vermont. Good luck and welcome.

Quick Reply: New from NY, looking for advice