General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do lollipops help lower exhaust noise?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 09:36 PM
tbrince
Tourer
Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

I have V&H twin slash and in an effort to "take the edge off", I made lollipops out of washers and some that I welded the hole shut. Using a decibel meter I down loaded to my phone the results were 1no lollipops 93db avg,2 lollipop with hole 92db avg,3 solid lollipop 90db avg. All were checked at idle. 14 SGS stage 1 no cat. I'm planning to order the TTI inserts to compare out of curiosity. The lollipops were installed straight down, didn't experiment with angles. Your results may vary!

Old 01-07-2017, 11:01 PM
martinj
Club Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 17,290 Likes on 6,848 Posts

Originally Posted by tbrince
I have V&H twin slash and in an effort to "take the edge off", I made lollipops out of washers and some that I welded the hole shut. Using a decibel meter I down loaded to my phone the results were 1no lollipops 93db avg,2 lollipop with hole 92db avg,3 solid lollipop 90db avg. All were checked at idle. 14 SGS stage 1 no cat. I'm planning to order the TTI inserts to compare out of curiosity. The lollipops were installed straight down, didn't experiment with angles. Your results may vary!
Hmmm. Since the sound level doubles every 3 db, that's a pretty good difference.

Old 01-08-2017, 07:42 AM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Lollipops will help, and they work fine with EFI. The Thunder Torque Inserts are a significant step up from lollipops, anywhere from 2-3x's the increase in low and mid range torque, plus they do a better job at deepening the tone (deeper tones sound quieter to the human ears).

We do autotunes with the Power Vision and the FP3 all the time with the TTI's. Because of the unique design (patented) of the W version of the TTI's, they virtually eliminate reversion...this is a big benefit when autotuning.
Kevin, I've been thinking about TTI's for a while now. I have a 02 Fatboy with V&H long shots. Which TTI's would I use? Btw, the pipes have about 2" I.D.

Thanks!

Old 01-08-2017, 09:48 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,228 Likes on 2,461 Posts

Originally Posted by tbrince
Here is a link to a report from a guy that did what you are thinking about. He had his own lollipops he made, then he swapped them out for some TTI's.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...lollipops.html

Originally Posted by HDmikie
Kevin, I've been thinking about TTI's for a while now. I have a 02 Fatboy with V&H long shots. Which TTI's would I use? Btw, the pipes have about 2" I.D.

Thanks!

If you are running baffles, then get the W118's, if you are running no baffles, then get the W158's.

Video below is not the same bike, but it is the same principle-

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 01-08-2017, 10:15 AM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts

Here is a link to a report from a guy that did what you are thinking about. He had his own lollipops he made, then he swapped them out for some TTI's.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...lollipops.html

If you are running baffles, then get the W118's, if you are running no baffles, then get the W158's.

Video below is not the same bike, but it is the same principle-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLORhshZcDc

Will the TTI W158 bolt fit thru the existing hole used for securing the baffle?

Old 01-08-2017, 10:21 AM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,220 Likes on 3,753 Posts

Increase back pressure and reduce sound....i wish there was some other way

Old 01-08-2017, 11:28 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,228 Likes on 2,461 Posts

Originally Posted by HDmikie
Will the TTI W158 bolt fit thru the existing hole used for securing the baffle?
Normally yes, but V&H uses a smaller diameter baffle retaining bolt than everyone else. So you will need to drill it out just a little larger...or drill a new hole.

Originally Posted by roussfam
Increase back pressure and reduce sound....i wish there was some other way
And that is the beauty of the patented design of the TTI's. With the "W" version there is a negligible increase in back pressure, while there is a huge reduction in reversion, along with a deepening of the tone (which sounds quieter to the human ears).

Contrary to the very popular myth, back pressure is not need on a HD engine to create torque...an absence of reversion is what gives that low & mid range torque, everything else being equal.

The myth is kept alive because most systems use baffles (which create back pressure) to reduce reversion.

BUT, to get a serious reduction in sound levels, while not increasing back pressure, the best solution is to use a large, cheese grater style, baffle, with some some packing around the outside of the baffle, then use a TTI at the end of the baffle.

The packing will absorb a lot of the sound, the large baffle will not create much power robbing back pressure, and the TTI will reduce/eliminate the torque robbing reversion.

The following 2 users liked this post by DK Custom:
HDmikie (01-08-2017), Labrador (01-09-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 05:22 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,670 Likes on 1,267 Posts

Normally yes, but V&H uses a smaller diameter baffle retaining bolt than everyone else. So you will need to drill it out just a little larger...or drill a new hole.

And that is the beauty of the patented design of the TTI's. With the "W" version there is a negligible increase in back pressure, while there is a huge reduction in reversion, along with a deepening of the tone (which sounds quieter to the human ears).

Contrary to the very popular myth, back pressure is not need on a HD engine to create torque...an absence of reversion is what gives that low & mid range torque, everything else being equal.

The myth is kept alive because most systems use baffles (which create back pressure) to reduce reversion.

BUT, to get a serious reduction in sound levels, while not increasing back pressure, the best solution is to use a large, cheese grater style, baffle, with some some packing around the outside of the baffle, then use a TTI at the end of the baffle.

The packing will absorb a lot of the sound, the large baffle will not create much power robbing back pressure, and the TTI will reduce/eliminate the torque robbing reversion.
I don't know much about baffles . But I know if you can drop a golf ball through it like you can with a V&H . It's just a round cheese grater called a baffle.

Old 01-10-2017, 10:44 AM
rideflhr
Road Captain
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

For some reason I tried the DK lollipop things awhile back. I noticed zero improvement in performance and my Rush with 2" baffles now sounded like I had a washer shoved up my mufflers. Horrible!
If you want to reduce noise just get new,smaller baffles from Rush.

Old 01-10-2017, 12:32 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,220 Likes on 3,753 Posts

Originally Posted by rideflhr
For some reason I tried the DK lollipop things awhile back. I noticed zero improvement in performance and my Rush with 2" baffles now sounded like I had a washer shoved up my mufflers. Horrible!
If you want to reduce noise just get new,smaller baffles from Rush.
You're in for it now

Quick Reply: Do lollipops help lower exhaust noise?