General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transition Lenses

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 10:25 PM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Transition Lenses

Let's talk transition lenses.

I currently have a pair of Harley sunglasses HDSZ-901's that my wife bought me last year. I generally love them but there's one glaring problem. Late afternoon when the sun is going down the lenses transition to clear and the sun burns into my retina's to the point where I either need different glasses or need to stop riding for awhile.

Do they all have this problem? If not what are you using?

Old 01-01-2017, 10:41 PM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 15,809 Likes on 6,703 Posts

Some transition lenses are more reactive than others. I forgot The terminology but it costs more to get the newer more reactive type. The older/ cheaper type won't hardly change when seated inside a car for example. The newer type will.

As you might imagine, my eyes are sensitive to bright light, both in the day time and headlights at night.

My vision went to crap when I got pancreatitis a little over a year ago to where I couldn't read anything. After I got the pancreas under control, my vision improved and after it stabilized I got fitted for bifocals.

For my riding glasses I just went with single vision. I went to Lens Crafters and got OAKLEY high speed impact resistant glasses with numerous coatings and the newer transition lens technology. Eye Med insurance covered most of it. Before the insurance paid their portion they were $690. They are perfect. I wear a half helmet and despite my light sensitivity they work great and I see fine on dark roads as well.

Old 01-01-2017, 10:49 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

I was going to get them, when I got new glasses but they don't make them polarized, which I really like more.

Old 01-02-2017, 01:22 AM
lmar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,073 Likes on 2,055 Posts

I just wear my regular glasses and never had that problem. Mine tint very quickly.

Old 01-02-2017, 01:51 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

I bought a pair of Wiley-X Transition Sun Glasses (not prescription) a few (3 or 4) years ago. My normal Sun Glasses are RayBan Predator II's. I had two problems with the Wiley-X Transition Sun Glasses. First, when in normal sunlight they were not dark enough. Second, when going through a long underpass (under a local Airport Runway) they wouldn't lighten fast enough. Kind of a paradoxical problem. I called the manufacturer and they suggested placing them in my household Freezer over night. Which I did. This slightly improved the not being dark enough issue, but still not enough really, but it did nothing for the reaction time. Wiley was pleasant about the whole thing and they exchanged them (including refunding me the price differential) for their regular Wiley-X Sun Glasses; which are very nice Sun Glasses in their own right. I do wish I could find a functional pair of Transition Sun Glasses that fit me and work well.

Old 01-02-2017, 02:13 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,940 Likes on 1,116 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
I was going to get them, when I got new glasses but they don't make them polarized, which I really like more.
Polarized glasses are nice unless you want/need to clearly see LCD displays.

I wear SPY Touring glasses. They are BIG, give great wind protection and the lenses are high quality. Those with smaller heads/faces may not like these but with a big pumpkin and an open faced helmet they're the cats ***.

Old 01-02-2017, 02:14 AM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 15,809 Likes on 6,703 Posts

Transitions Vantage is what they call the improved version. From the website:

Activated by the sun, these lenses go from virtually clear indoors to dark and polarized outdoors. The lenses also help reduce eyestrain when using a computer.

I can tell you that I have the same type of lens on my regular bifocals and they get so dark that when people see me walk into a building after being outside, 90% of the time they think I am blind.

Here is the section for the Lens Crafters site that talks about them:

https://www.lenscrafters.com/lc-us/t...ions-US-053113

Old 01-02-2017, 02:49 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by Superfly3176
Let's talk transition lenses.

what are you using?

I carry on the bike two pair of Liberty Sport prescription classes; one sunglass and one clear.
Problem solved.

Old 01-02-2017, 06:46 AM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,187 Likes on 7,367 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluraven
I carry on the bike two pair of Liberty Sport prescription classes; one sunglass and one clear.
Problem solved.
Same for me but I let my clear prescription safety glasses that I work in double as my night time riding glasses. Simple and easy for me.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:19 AM
StoneyFatBoy
Road Master
Received 130 Likes on 90 Posts

I use my Oakley's until it gets to dark then a pair of electrions safety glasses ( the ones with yellow lenses)

Quick Reply: Transition Lenses