General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the fascination with "new"?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 10:51 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

I buy new bikes and cars...except for one bike and one car...because they have warranties and how do I know a used bike has been serviced right and has everything in it, the seller says it does?

Old 12-30-2016, 11:04 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,912 Likes on 4,135 Posts

Originally Posted by From_Behind
Oh, yes they do. . . LOL.
Oh my. I can just imagine someone's wife going over the credit card statement and asking her husband "What was this $150 you spent on Ruby Edwards at Poontang, Inc.?"

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Speaking of new I dropped the dime on that 17 Road King today my net connections slower today than hell and won't let me post up any pics yet.
Thank you for NOT saying you "pulled the trigger" on the 17 RK.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:05 PM
Roadghost
Road Warrior
Received 632 Likes on 288 Posts

I strongly encourage people to buy new and the latest and greatest. Doing so ensures I have plenty of options when I buy my next used bike.

Old 12-31-2016, 04:02 AM
K9F
Road Master
Received 393 Likes on 252 Posts

Harley-Davidsons hold their money really well in Britain. I recently traded in a 12 month old 48 for a CVO Breakout, the 48 was an ex-demo I bought at what I deemed to be a good price. I racked up over 3000 miles on it and traded in for $1200 dollars less than I paid for it. If the desire is strong enough and the money there why not buy new? My latest acquisition is a keeper so any depreciation doesn't really feature at all.

Old 12-31-2016, 07:15 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,209 Likes on 2,886 Posts

Originally Posted by t^2
.... but trading up for new bike when the current one is only 1 or 2 years old? So what's causing your itch?
Look at Me, Look at Me !!!! It's a cry for attention, the need to be noticed. And if they stopped and thought about it, for about half of what a "same-as-everybody-else" new bike costs they could have something like this. Talk about drawing a crowd where ever you go.

Old 12-31-2016, 07:52 AM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,043 Likes on 7,312 Posts

I like old and new. New is good. Without new we would all still be cave men.

People strive to come up with a better mouse trap. Billions are spent every year on R & D in an effort to part us from our dollars $$$. If a model never changed there would be no reason to upgrade and the company that builds them would die on the vine.

We all benefit from it one way or another, now or later.

Happy New Year

Old 12-31-2016, 08:08 AM
ISP-FLHTK
Road Captain
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Mastiff107
I believe folks buy new when they want to finance for ease. I've had over 100 bikes in the past 50 years and never bought new. I look at a bike as a toy and I only buy toys for cash when I can afford them. Same for hookers.

Unless you were 5 year old when you started buying 2 used bikes every year, at around 65 or 70 it must be really hard to find time to ride. Either you stay busy buying and selling used bikes or you have a huge garage full of old ****.

Old 12-31-2016, 08:20 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,498 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Originally Posted by ISP-FLHTK
Unless you were 5 year old when you started buying 2 used bikes every year, at around 65 or 70 it must be really hard to find time to ride. Either you stay busy buying and selling used bikes or you have a huge garage full of old ****.
You've never had more than one motorcycle at a time?
I've had as many as six at one time and never have less than two. (I currently have 3)
Having 100 motorcycles in your lifetime is actually not far fetched at all.

Old ****? Really?

Old 12-31-2016, 08:21 AM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,988 Likes on 2,365 Posts

Originally Posted by T^2
I often see post by folks with very recent bikes trading in for the latest and greatest. Very often I see it with touring model owners, but it certainly isn't limited to them. Of course with the new M8's out I'm seeing in more so, but even before seems like ever time I turned around I was reading about somebody getting rid of a bike only a few years older than the new one they were acquiring.

So what's wrong with the older bikes? Got money burning a hole in your pocket? Just have to have the latest and greatest? I know some put a lot of miles on their rides annually, but trading up for new bike when the current one is only 1 or 2 years old? So what's causing your itch?
I trade up often for several reason. They do not like to take bikes in on trade with over 50K miles on them, especially one thats 3 years old. Learned that with my wife 09 heritage. It had 77K on it when we went to trade it.

So we trade right around 45K miles on our bikes. This is usually right at the two year mark. I do like to have the latest updates also, especially with improvements like the 09 frame, or the 15 Rushmore road glides, or the 17 M8 and suspension.

Wife and I both traded 15's this year for 17's.

Her 15 Road Glide Special had 46,700 miles on it, she's on a 17 Road glide special.

My 15 CVO Road Glide Ultra Had 43800 miles on it. Im a 17 CVO Street Glide, which in 3 months I have 7200 miles on it.

We both have a second bike, and I have a 3rd.

Old 12-31-2016, 08:21 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadghost
I strongly encourage people to buy new and the latest and greatest. Doing so ensures I have plenty of options when I buy my next used bike.
Yup.

Quick Reply: What's the fascination with "new"?