General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the fascination with "new"?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 06:10 PM
cruzomatic
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Back in 2012, I bought two bikes with about 10 days of each other. I kept one and returned the other. One was new, the other was used.

Old 01-01-2017, 06:36 PM
LXT
Road Master
Received 566 Likes on 346 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by psyshack
I'm done with old. I sold my RZ350, RZ500. Sold my 70 Cuda stuffed with a Hemi my 71 Challenger Hemi stuffed a long with my numbers matching RT Challenger Convertible. I will I'm sure in time miss the 2 stroke rocket bikes. But I never want to see a 50's, 60's or 70's hunk of junk muscle car again. My 02 F-150 Harley truck is starting to get long on the tooth.

My M8 Road King is the first Harley I have really wanted since I bought a 1978 Sporty and Electi Glide in 1979. Those were the absolute worse motorcycles I have ever owned in my life. Safety wire and thread lock could not keep them together when they ran. If they would run.

I can tell you right now. If this M8 pans out to be a great motor like I think it will. In two years I will have a Dyna setting next to the RK. Hoestly if the 107 was in a Dyna now I would have bought a Dyna over the RK just to have a more tossable bike. But as it stands now I have smiled so much over the RK my face hurts.

So you sold 2 iconic classic muscle cars? a Cuda & Challenger? very foolish!!

let me tell ya this: No new car purchase will ever net you the value of the 2 cars you stated you sold - if they were decent in any sense of the word? they had value!!!! hopefully you sold them & made a good buck

the 78 sporty - those were good bikes if you knew what to do with them, the 79 - was a year specific model if I'm not mistaken? those were the AMF years & yes there were issues - BUT, shovels were easy to work on & when built / done right were bullet proof.

& You bought a 1st year M8 & think it will pan out to be "great" Really? I hope for you it is, sounds like you had your share of wrenching - But dam you had a CUDA & sold it

Old 01-01-2017, 06:38 PM
Whistler
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2016 Iron is my first new bike in 21 yrs. My last bike a Honda, sorry, lasted me all that time. Hoping the Iron is the last bike I need to buy to ride into old age

The following users liked this post:
LXT (01-01-2017)
Old 01-01-2017, 07:25 PM
not a sock
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 984 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by LXT
So you sold 2 iconic classic muscle cars? a Cuda & Challenger? very foolish!!

let me tell ya this: No new car purchase will ever net you the value of the 2 cars you stated you sold - if they were decent in any sense of the word? they had value!!!! hopefully you sold them & made a good buck

the 78 sporty - those were good bikes if you knew what to do with them, the 79 - was a year specific model if I'm not mistaken? those were the AMF years & yes there were issues - BUT, shovels were easy to work on & when built / done right were bullet proof.

& You bought a 1st year M8 & think it will pan out to be "great" Really? I hope for you it is, sounds like you had your share of wrenching - But dam you had a CUDA & sold it
But those cars weren't that popular back in the early '70's.
Buying a Jeep the other day, talking with the salesman whom I grew up knowing. I remember seeing a "Petty Blue 1970 Superbird" sitting on the lot, just sitting on the lot, on and on before it finally got purchased. He was telling me that he had told that tale before and no one believed him.
I think the dealer finally dealer traded the other one that was delivered for two Road Runners because he didn't want another 'Superbird'.......

Old 01-01-2017, 07:31 PM
farmer65
Banned
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Is this the time of year that HD brings out mid-year new models, they have in the past.

Old 01-01-2017, 08:11 PM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 15,701 Likes on 6,680 Posts

Originally Posted by farmer65
Is this the time of year that HD brings out mid-year new models, they have in the past.
Whatcha talkin about Willis?

Why would they bring out a midyear 2017 model on January 1, 2017?

Last edited by Prot; 01-01-2017 at 09:12 PM.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:46 PM
d24112
Cruiser
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by cdonis
lmfao, even the newest *****, has a 100,000 hard miles at my age.
That's not new, it's used...

Old 01-01-2017, 08:52 PM
ncdeekay
Tourer
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts
Old 01-02-2017, 07:49 AM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,988 Likes on 2,365 Posts

Originally Posted by farmer65
Originally Posted by Prot
Whatcha talkin about Willis?

Why would they bring out a midyear 2017 model on January 1, 2017?
When HD come out with mid year model's it is usually January or February.

This is when they have come out with mid year CVO's also.

They could come out with a 17.5 CVO Road Glide Special, some are speculating on that.

However with all of Harley's production cuts for 2017, I do not think there will be any mid year models.

Old 01-02-2017, 10:14 AM
shekmark
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm seriously debating adding Ultra back into my garage. Trying to decide between paying cash for a 2012 or taking on a loan for a 2017. Could probably keep my Dyna if I do the 12, but don't really have the riding time for both. Boating season in Jersey is short, so I tend to not ride much in the summer, as I'd rather be out on the water when its hot out. I usually buy what I want whether I can really afford it or not, and don't really care what others think about that. I'm not very smart in my buying habits. No wife , only kids to pay for. I'm not a biker, I'm an enthusiast , I guess. ( Rode from Jersey to Sturgis BTW)I think it sucks that some people only consider you worthy on this forum if you don't make any money and ride an old bike.

Quick Reply: What's the fascination with "new"?