General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which is better in general? Garmin Zumo's or the HD Built-In GPS?
HD is WAY, WAY better!
1.49%
HD is better.
5.97%
They are about the same. Pro's 'n Con's with each.
29.85%
GARMIN Zumo's are better.
29.85%
GARMIN Zumo's are WAY, WAY better.
32.84%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Which is better? GARMIN or HD Built-In GPS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 01:41 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

Originally Posted by RedNose44
^^^ My nav on my 16 has no issues with freeways, and will reroute without issues. On turns it will actually verbally give me a heads up on how far the next turn is in feet (300, 400 etc...)
Originally Posted by 07FXSTOki
I must of got a defective one then lol!! Like I said maybe I just gotta play with it more.
or maybe you just have freeways checked in your 'avoidances'....

Last edited by skratch; 12-31-2016 at 09:35 PM.
Old 01-01-2017, 03:19 PM
07FXSTOki
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
or maybe you just have freeways checked in your 'avoidances'....
I'm a play with it first and decide if I like it, if I do then I'll go back and read the manuals. Well now that I've read the manual and played with it a bit more as it is sitting in the garage I may end up liking it.

I do believe the avoid freeways was checked as I just unchecked it. Had to of been done and the dealership because I just learned. O'well!!!

The following users liked this post:
BuzzCap7 (01-05-2017)
Old 01-01-2017, 03:32 PM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,109 Likes on 663 Posts

Originally Posted by 07FXSTOki
I must of got a defective one then lol!! Like I said maybe I just gotta play with it more.
I thought the same as you but I went in and tweaked it today and like it now. Play with some of the features and options and you might get it where you want it.

The following 2 users liked this post by SWThomas:
07FXSTOki (01-03-2017), BuzzCap7 (01-05-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 07:57 AM
Greg Di
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

The Boom system will get you from point A to point B every time. The inherent problem with the software is that no one at HD seemed to realize that most motorcycle riders ride to NOT go DIRECTLY from point A to point B and instead want to take an exact route on very particular roads.

The Boom system is extremely temperamental and quirky to operate this way to the point of being useless in my opinion. I have screwed around with it for hours and have never had a ride I planned on the computer work out exactly in real life.

I no longer use the boom unit at all. I would tear it out if could and put a gum dispenser in its place.

I now use Google Maps on my Android. On you desktop, you can create a single route with multiple destinations and then send it to your phone. You cannot create it on your phone (yet). It works great and the interface is a gazillion times better than the slow HD one that names roads awkwardly (as in a road name or street name will show up five different ways in the list you pick from in the menus).

No GPS is perfect but the HD one is abysmal.

What I look for is can I set an exact route on computer tonight and push it to the the GPS to ride tomorrow without changes (or creating 200 waypoints).

The following 2 users liked this post by Greg Di:
07FXSTOki (01-06-2017), BuzzCap7 (01-05-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 10:00 PM
Beertapper
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

While the Garmin Zumo is still the best, the Boom isn't that bad. I've planned many trips that include dozens and dozens of turns into the Boom and it has hit every turn, you just need to zoom in and double check every waypoint in Ride Planner (I like MotoGoLoco). I like the layout and additional features that the Zumo offers, but haven't used it since I got my Boom bike.

Anybody who says "use your phone" has never planned a route that that can have 50 different turns in 100 miles. And for those that just ride don't realize the small, short, twisty, country roads that they pass. Zoom into Google maps and look around you'll be amazed by the roads you ride right by.

The following 3 users liked this post by Beertapper:
BuzzCap7 (01-06-2017), nevada72 (01-08-2017), scumBAGGER (01-08-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 07:51 AM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Beertapper
While the Garmin Zumo is still the best, the Boom isn't that bad. I've planned many trips that include dozens and dozens of turns into the Boom and it has hit every turn, you just need to zoom in and double check every waypoint in Ride Planner (I like MotoGoLoco). I like the layout and additional features that the Zumo offers, but haven't used it since I got my Boom bike.

Anybody who says "use your phone" has never planned a route that that can have 50 different turns in 100 miles. And for those that just ride don't realize the small, short, twisty, country roads that they pass. Zoom into Google maps and look around you'll be amazed by the roads you ride right by.
that was well said...
I will never take a long trip with out my zumo finding all the best roads and roadside attractions is very easy to do from home\google.

BuzzCap7 (01-08-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 09:05 AM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 15,815 Likes on 6,704 Posts

Looking at these replies, it seems like it comes down to what a person knows how to use and what his preferences are. The negatives of everything listed can be overcome if somebody wants to learn.

I think the only two negatives are price and obsolescence.

Price is a subjective thing but when something costs eight times as much as a similar product, it is hard to imagine it being eight times better. It might ge a little better, but eight times better would be quite a feat.

Regarding obsolescence, that is the number one negative of a built in system that is part of the bike. It's irrelevant if you only keep a bike a couple of years, but if you keep a bike a long time, electronics change and become obsolete at a much quicker pace than the rest of the bike, such as engine etc.

Regardless of anything else, I have always found my most memorable rides were not planned and were more akin to exploring, with GPS mostly being used to locate gas stations, and even then, that is just a relatively recent thing for me, as I used to just have to rely on my wits.

BuzzCap7 (01-08-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 10:52 AM
2011FLHTK
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I haven't used the built-in bike GPS systems, but I hate the built-in in my Ford F150. It won't let me do anything while in motion. Also, when I enter information, I have to wait for it to "think" after every key entry before I type the next letter or number. I hate the damn thing. If the bike built-ins are like that, I would use my Garmin. I use the Garmin on my bike (with a Ram mount) and I also use the Garmin in my truck when I go on a longer trip.

For the GPS scoffers, it's not just about figuring out how to get somewhere, it's also about finding food, gas, detours and hotels while on the move. Let's face it, while you are riding it is a bit too windy to unfold a map. Besides, who has a free hand? The Garmin will also alert me to delays along the route and calculate alternatives for my consideration. I also like that the GPS tells me the time to the next via point or destination. Helps me decide if I need to stop for a whiz before getting there.

Old 01-08-2017, 02:09 PM
ncdeekay
Tourer
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

On the few (<10) occasions I've used the MoCo built in it's worked just fine.

Old 01-08-2017, 02:12 PM
GREENOHAWK69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 575 Likes on 346 Posts

Google maps on my cell.

Quick Reply: Which is better? GARMIN or HD Built-In GPS?