Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pre wired Handle bars

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 10:21 AM
Griff012FLHX
Club Member
Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Pre wired Handle bars

Okay Guys @ Gals....
Who has the best pre wired Handle bars out on the web....
Thinking of trading in my FLHX and getting a Softtail Slim.
And I'll want to put 12" Chubys on it....

Thanks for any reply's and everyone have a Merry Xmas and a Safe and happy new year....

Old 12-27-2016, 08:45 AM
CyGlide
Road Captain
Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

I think Hill Country does pre wired and have heard ok reviews. Honestly, I don't think pulling wires is that bad as long as you aren't doing it in yaffee style bars with the hard points at the bends. I'd save the money and pull them yourself. I've used weedeater string to pull and haven't had an issue on the set I did on my FLHX or on the set I did on my Heritage.

Old 12-27-2016, 09:04 AM
leaky
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not sure what your harness looks like on that bike but when I did it in my '03 Dyna having the bars pre-wired wouldn't have done squat for me (10 inch Chubby's). Pulling the wires through is easy - use a vacuum cleaner to pull a piece of fishing line through and use that to pull your wiring.

I had bought a harness extension and after further inspection I had less faith in that setup holding together than simply soldering. So I cut the wires in a staggered manner about 3-8 inches from the controls, and at another point that would similarly end up within the bars at the harness side, soldered and double shrink tubed them, using the wires from the kit (if I did it tomorrow I'd do the same thing, buy the kit w/ the color coded wires but solder instead).. now I'm good at soldering and was very careful to this whole job real perfectly, if you aren't it could be a real disaster, but in my case it's lasted and I'm sure will continue to last as long as much of the rest of the bikes wiring anyway.

FYI though - at least on mine I found although Chubby claims you must pull the wiring through the bars and they don't make bars for stock (exterior) wiring, I could have actually left the wiring external to the bars just fine by simply moving the controls out 1/4 inch from fully seated and it wouldn't have even been visible. Your bike probably has the wiring going through the bars already, not sure, but if it didn't and you don't care about it being exterior you may be able to run it that way. Had I have noticed before I started cutting I would have done that instead.

Jon

Old 12-27-2016, 06:48 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

If you can get past what a bunch of insufferable asshats they are, Hill Country is hard to beat in terms of ready to bolt on pre-wired bars.

Old 12-27-2016, 09:32 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff012FLHX
Who has the best,,,
Dude, there is no best.
You either get then pre-wired or you don't.
There is so much competition out there now on the global WWW of shopping that if someone did better then another at the job the others would figure it out and copy it just to stay in the market,, it's just the way it is today.
Pre-wired doesn't mean plug-n-play,, pre-wired are almost always made to fit many models and the wire is extra long so you can customize your customizing job to fit. Get the bars you want, if they come pre-wired get'm that way, it'll save you a few hours of hassel.
There is no "best" out there, unless you listen to each shop's marketing,, then they're all the best!