General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Control Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2016 | 09:28 PM
VegasGeorge
|
Advanced
Default Throttle Control Issues

I have a 2017 CVO Limited with the powerful 114 (boosted to 117) Milwaukee Eight engine. So far, it's running great. But, I am having some difficulty balancing the throttle, clutch, and rear brake for slow speed maneuvering. The clutch and rear brake seem fine. I am, however, having trouble keeping the throttle steady. I'm used to running an engine at slightly more than idle speed when using the slipping clutch technique. On the CVO, that means running at between 1,000 and 1,200 RPM. When I try that, the engine invariably revs up, causing the bike to leap forward. I'm sure it's me, unintentionally turning the throttle a tiny little bit, but the bike just seems hyper sensitive. Have any of you guys dealt with that issue? If so, what, if anything, have you done to settle it down?

Old 12-23-2016 | 09:45 PM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Riders Club Member

Two things are causing it. The main thing is the hydraulic clutch doesn't have as much of a range in the slip zone. It is either fully released or fully engaged without as much in between as the cable operated clutch. It is just a matter of getting used to it. Some have found using a different clutch lever helps because it brings clutch lever in the released position closer to the handlebar, making it easier to grab and modulate since the engage / disengage point is also closer. I do not have details of the reduced reach clutch lever.

The other thing is the M8 idles slower than the twin cam. The idle is actually close to what an Evo idles at. Most people are not used to that. There is some kind of software update that increases the idle to 950 rpm compared to originally it is 850. Some reports that helps some.

Regardless, it is just a matter of getting used to it.

A touring bike has a higher center of gravity than a Softail. What means is when you mess up, it is clumsier to recover from than a Softail.

I don't own an M8, but it has attracted my attention enough to cause me to follow numerous M8 threads as well as stuff I find elsewhere.

Old 12-23-2016 | 09:50 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

For slow speed maneuvering, I usually just slip the clutch with the engine at idle. My bike is an '04 Road King with a few mods, but it probably has less low end torque than your 117". If you try to modulate clutch with the engine at idle in 1st gear, does it stall? Do you practice slow riding in parking lots? Is this your first bike?

Old 12-24-2016 | 12:02 AM
VegasGeorge
|
Advanced

I've been doing more reading since I posted. I'm going to try it at idle (850 RPM) without using any throttle at all. I'll report back on that.

Old 12-24-2016 | 12:07 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

There is another adjustment in the ECM called "throttle progressivity". It changes how quickly the rpm picks up as you begin to move the throttle. It's adjustable though any of the tuner modules. Might help.

Old 12-24-2016 | 09:35 AM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member

Interesting thread. A person at my local dealership complained to me about a "Stumble" they would experience with the M8 taking off that almost caused them to dump the bike. They thought it was a problem with the bike early on. May be nothing more than a learning curve? I have heard one idle and did not pick up on the lower RPM at idle.

Old 12-24-2016 | 10:20 AM
VegasGeorge
|
Advanced

OK, wow! That "progressively" setting sounds like a real possibility.

My Triumph has a riding "mode" setting for "rain" that does that exact same thing, giving the rider a more progressive throttle to prevent accidental rear wheel traction loss on wet pavement. I didn't see anything like that in my Harley manual, or did I somehow miss it?

Ah ha! I went back to the manual and discovered the ETC (electronic throttle control) settings. These might provide the answer. I'll be experimenting, and report back.

Last edited by VegasGeorge; 12-24-2016 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-24-2016 | 11:58 AM
VegasGeorge
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by VegasGeorge

My Triumph has a riding "mode" setting for "rain" that does that exact same thing, giving the rider a more progressive throttle to prevent accidental rear wheel traction loss on wet pavement. I didn't see anything like that in my Harley manual, or did I somehow miss it?

Ah ha! I went back to the manual and discovered the ETC (electronic throttle control) settings. These might provide the answer. I'll be experimenting, and report back.
Hum ... I see the ETC Modes described in the manual (page 72), but I don't see any way for the rider to select them. It says "If Trouble Codes are detected, the ECM will .... transition to one of the following modes. Limited Performance, Power Management, Forced Idle." The Limited Performance Mode is described as near normal operation, but preventing unintended acceleration. That sounds a lot like the "rain mode" on my Triumph, but apparently it is not for the rider to use.

Old 12-25-2016 | 11:48 AM
Nitro 54
Road Master

You will need a tuner with that capability to access the throttle settings through the ecm. Don't know if the dealer can make throttle adjustments for you. My FP3 lets me make adjustments on my 16.

Old 12-25-2016 | 12:10 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Originally Posted by VegasGeorge

Originally Posted by Nitro 54
You will need a tuner with that capability to access the throttle settings through the ecm. Don't know if the dealer can make throttle adjustments for you. My FP3 lets me make adjustments on my 16.
Correct.

My SE Pro Super Tuner can change these settings. The new Pro Street Tuner can change throttle progressivity on '14 and later bikes.

Quick Reply: Throttle Control Issues