General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley-Davidson denim paint

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 05:51 PM
whitlow
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Harley-Davidson denim paint

So a friend is buying a street glide that is denim black he was told there is no clear on the paint. We were talking and he said he was going to get his brother a painter to clear coat it for protection. I told him it would not be denim after that he said his brother told him it would be and have more protection from wear and tear. I told him I was going to post this here to see what feedback I get. He's not a computer guy so he said do it. So here is the big question can this be done? I'm sure someone here knows.

Old 12-17-2016, 06:00 PM
sd jon
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I believe you can add a flattening agent to clear to take the shine out of it. I know you can with paint. I would think Harley would do this.

Old 12-17-2016, 06:07 PM
teedubbyaw
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

There is clear coat for matte, yes

Old 12-17-2016, 06:11 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

hold the phone.....

their is indeed a clear coat on the denim paint. whoever told him that there was not is mistaken.

I owned a denim black bike for over 4 years. don't believe those who tell you that the denim finish is 'delicate'. it isn't. it is true that if you get a scratch, you can not buff it out like you would with a gloss paint, but it will hold up to 'wear and tear' just as good as any other finish.

also, be aware that if you have something rubbing on it constantly, it will buff it out and make that spot glossy. so if he likes to really squeeze his fuel tank with his knees when he rides, he can buff glossy spots on it.

Last edited by skratch; 12-17-2016 at 06:14 PM.
Old 12-17-2016, 06:11 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

I loved my Blackline with the black denim paint. Easy as hell to clean.

Old 12-17-2016, 06:19 PM
whitlow
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He said his brother told him he could shoot several coats of a flat clear on it and it would hold up better less chance of scratching the black color. Winter is here he has time to do it and before his paint gets any scratches.

Old 12-17-2016, 06:25 PM
Fireguy88
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

Yes, you can do a non glossy clear coat. Not sure if the denim already has a clear though or not. This always seems to cause confusion.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:35 PM
martinj
Club Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 17,214 Likes on 6,832 Posts

Leave it alone. Would you pull the tins on a new bike with a glossy paint job and put a couple of extra coats of clear on it "for more protection"? My guess is, probably not. Just take care of the denim paint as specified by H-D and leave it at that.

The following users liked this post:
Redlegvzv (12-18-2016)
Old 12-17-2016, 07:45 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,208 Likes on 2,886 Posts

Denim black. Isn't that just a fancy name for flat black to get more money from the customer? BTW. Flat black was a fad that kind of died out among the chopper crowd a few years. You know how you can tell when a fad is pretty much over? The moco adds it to their line up!

Last edited by Hey Man; 12-17-2016 at 07:47 PM.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:28 PM
acman308
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
hold the phone.....

their is indeed a clear coat on the denim paint. whoever told him that there was not is mistaken.

I owned a denim black bike for over 4 years. don't believe those who tell you that the denim finish is 'delicate'. it isn't. it is true that if you get a scratch, you can not buff it out like you would with a gloss paint, but it will hold up to 'wear and tear' just as good as any other finish.

also, be aware that if you have something rubbing on it constantly, it will buff it out and make that spot glossy. so if he likes to really squeeze his fuel tank with his knees when he rides, he can buff glossy spots on it.
This is FACT my crossbones started flaking the clear coat off...........
A lot of the dealerships have people that are clueless as to what the paint is or is not they told me the same crap (no clearcoat) when it first started "hazing" on / around the pin striping before the flaking actually started.

Quick Reply: Harley-Davidson denim paint