General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Wear

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 09:03 AM
Cohiba_Joe
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Wear

I have an '05 RKC that's pretty much been fitted as an Ultra (fairing and Ultra tourpak). I had both factory tires replaced back at 9620 miles; I stuck with the stock Dunlop tires and the tread wear was normal.The rear tire was definitely due and the front was close enough to go ahead and get it done at the same time.Back at 19842 miles the rear tire was definitely in need of replacement but the front tire was still looking good so I went ahead and bought both tires ( knowing the front would need to be replaced eventually) and replaced the rear tire; it had an even tread wear.

Last week I noticed the bike just felt funny coming to a stop; it had a slight wobble to it. I went for a day ride on Saturday and as the day went on this feeling kept getting worse. It finally gotto the point of being a bit scary. Once I would hit the 60 mph mark thehandlebars would start to wobble back and forth to the point of having to slow down. At one ofthe gas stops I inspected the front tire andeven though there is still ample tread left, the wear pattern is way out of whack. It is both scalping and spotting (high and low spots); you can definitely feel this by running your hand around the tire. You can seetwo snake-like patterns running down the two center treads of the tire where the majority of the road contact is. At this point the rear tire has close to 5000 miles on it and the front has close to 15000 miles.

Hereare my questions: would this uneven tire wear create that wobble feeling and what would cause the tire to wear uneven like this?

Thanks,
Brian

Old 05-29-2007, 09:37 AM
Peekaboo Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Tire Wear

Interesting question, because I just changed my rear tire at 22,00 but not the front and noticeda similar type ofwear on mine. I haven't had any adverse handling as a result, but with half the tread life left on the front, I am wondering what is up too.