Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealerships being bought............

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 09:46 AM
not a sock
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 984 Likes on 551 Posts
Default Dealerships being bought............

The announcement on the General Chat page about Gateway HD being bought by someone that owns more than one store; does anyone have experience where this helped people buying a bike at a cheaper price or is it just a business person taking advantage of a situation?

Doesn't the Rossmeyer family own several; and Scott Fischer among others?

Old 12-17-2016, 10:01 AM
NMfxdf
Tourer
Received 111 Likes on 81 Posts

I doubt that it makes a Motorcycle any cheaper. We have 2 stores here both are Scott Fischer, not bad and he seems like a nice guy from the brief conversation I had with him, however both stores are run the exact same way. A price at one seems to be a price at another.

Old 12-17-2016, 10:19 AM
sbeast
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

there are several in texas owned by Adam Smith, and all of their attempts to integrate into each other have been awful. they have comically high employee turnover because of their management system which installs "corporate" managers in various local positions at the dealership, resulting in shenanigans such as where the marketting girl has authority over the general manager.

Old 12-17-2016, 10:45 AM
Black_Gold
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,450 Likes on 661 Posts

The dealer closest to me was just bought (was Tri-County HD, now Queen City HD). I've been told it is the owner of F&S HD in Columbus, Oh. So far, I don't really see any changes, other than some different employees.

It was always my impression that the MoCo set the prices on new bikes. The dealer can put in place incentives, like gift cards, free services, etc...

Old 12-17-2016, 10:57 AM
Surfcitydude
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Huntington Beach Harley was bought by the same group that owns Riverside and several others. First thing that was nice, they went for about 150 bikes in inventory to over 400. Huge selection, promotions like a bike night every other week, and always some type of sales promo going on. The posted prices are the same but after seeing the amount of deals I see going on every time I visit, they must be doing something right. Overall, nice dealership with some great employees in both the sales area and parts and service.

Old 12-17-2016, 11:53 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,982 Likes on 17,897 Posts

We have 3 area dealers owned by the same people and all it's done is stabilized parts prices 10% over list , generally mediocre to crappy service and price fixing on the sales floor.

Old 12-17-2016, 11:59 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 28,919 Likes on 11,975 Posts

Multiple businesses owned by one owner cuts out competition. I think this is called an anti-trust violation.

Old 12-17-2016, 12:08 PM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 604 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
Multiple businesses owned by one owner cuts out competition. I think this is called an anti-trust violation.

Pretty much, just on a smaller scale.

Old 12-17-2016, 12:26 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

The shop where I bought my Harley years ago was bought out but I can't say that it helped business any, the former people were more friendly, the newer people are more pushy. There was a guy that came through and gradually bought all the car dealerships in the area and that way he didn't have any competition and he also made more money.

Old 12-17-2016, 12:51 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

Adam Smith bought Waco Harley and half of the pre-Smith employees are still there. One quit right off. But other than that, I haven't noticed any difference. Oh...the backs of the shirts are different.

Quick Reply: Dealerships being bought............