Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gravel and holding on the throttle on turns

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 11:11 AM
utexasrider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gravel and holding on the throttle on turns

hey guys, i'm read a couple of accidents in the news lately and have friends who laid down their bike because of hitting gravel on turns. so it got me thinking and finding ways to avoid that (besides the obvious of avoiding gravel)

i looked back to my msf course and they said to keep the throttle on during the turns. normally i have enough momentum to take the turn and don't use the throttle but i've been practicing on doing it. my question is: does keeping the throttle going during turns and hitting gravel prevents laying down the bike or will the rider fall regardless of laying on the throttle or braking?

thanks

Old 05-28-2007, 11:28 AM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: gravel and holding on the throttle on turns

get some videos of Chris Carr,,,, hell show ya how to throttle around dirt in corners

Old 05-28-2007, 11:42 AM
orangecrush
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keeping constant, even pressure on the throttle is essential in any turn... gravel or not.

The logic is that with positive pressure on the throttle, the bike transfers the weight to the rear wheel. I forget the exact percentage but with positive throttle, it will keep the weight at 60% in the rear and 40% in the front.

That is why the first rule of sportbike racing is throttle control. Letting off the throttle upsets the weight transfer and will make the bike unstable.

Always keep positive pressure on the throttle and even, smoooooth twists. It's the choppy movement that causes the bike to become unstable and increase the possibilty of a wreck.

The old adage, "when in doubt, throttle it' really does work. Many times I have been too hot in a corner or turn and by twisting the throttle even harder and countersteering harder also, I have pulled myself out of some bad corners...

Old 05-28-2007, 12:08 PM
dadofsix
Outstanding HDF Member

I was taught "slow into a curve fast out of it" meaning a steady acceleration through the curve provided you entered the curve at a safe speed. But, doesn't gravel mess up any equation with respect to taking a curve?

<><Peace

Old 05-28-2007, 12:30 PM
coldmcrider
Cruiser

Staying on the throttle in a corner stabilizes the motorcycle, don't use momentum. Slow before the corner and throttle all the way through it.

If you hit gravel while you are leaned over you will slide. If you chop the throttle while you are sliding you will likely high side. If you stay on the gas, you may come out of it ok, or you may low side. I'd rather low side than high side.

The key is to look as far into the turn as you can, so you can see the gravel as soon as possible and try to avoid it. If you slide, keep looking where you want to go and keep the throttle steady.

Old 05-28-2007, 12:44 PM
Slick02
Tourer

Most always the gravel seems to be towards the outside of the lane too. Try to track the left sideof your lane...your playing odds here, but more favorable inside (left curves).Use more caution on right curves where your instinct is to tuck inside

Old 05-28-2007, 03:29 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

In all my years of riding in every possible condition,the one thing that makes the hair stand up is gravel on tar.Whenever I catch sight of it I try and straighten the bike up and ride over it.While in a turn with gravel on tar,chances are unless you are going real slow,you will slide.Riding on a dirt road is altogether different.I grew up and learned how to ride a Harley on a dirt road,it's funny,my first experience with a paved road made me real nervous.

Old 05-28-2007, 03:49 PM
babygrl
Cruiser

Rick, is this the same Chris Carr that teaches the Riders Edge Course at HD of Atlanta?

Old 05-28-2007, 03:54 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: rider57

Rick, is this the same Chris Carr that teaches the Riders Edge Course at HD of Atlanta?
um,, I dont know,,,, the 1 im talkin bout raced Nat's flat track, multi Champ
broke world speed record last year at salt flats

Old 05-28-2007, 05:36 PM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 100 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: utexasrider

hey guys, i'm read a couple of accidents in the news lately and have friends who laid down their bike because of hitting gravel on turns. so it got me thinking and finding ways to avoid that (besides the obvious of avoiding gravel)

i looked back to my msf course and they said to keep the throttle on during the turns. normally i have enough momentum to take the turn and don't use the throttle but i've been practicing on doing it. my question is: does keeping the throttle going during turns and hitting gravel prevents laying down the bike or will the rider fall regardless of laying on the throttle or braking?

thanks

Gravel on asphalt takes all reason out the window. If you hit gravel in a turn and are leaning you will probably go for a ride that you don't want.

I always watch the road as far as I can see it. If there is gravel in the turn I try to slow as much as possible and get out of the lean if only for the time you cross the gravel.

If you are approaching a turn that has a gravel road branching off of it you can assure there is gravel thats been scattered onto the asphalt.

If you ever feel the rear end start to slip, back off the throttle and bring the lean as far up as you can.

Ride Safe.

Quick Reply: gravel and holding on the throttle on turns