General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gravel and holding on the throttle on turns

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 06:41 PM
coldmcrider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: gravel and holding on the throttle on turns

ORIGINAL: wlbowers
If you ever feel the rear end start to slip, back off the throttle and bring the lean as far up as you can.
I respectfully disagree with backing off the throttle. If the rear end starts to slip, I'd stay on ther gas as I straighten the bike up.

Old 05-28-2007, 08:25 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Backing off the throttle, gassing it, using the brake; all these things will do is help you break traction and then you go down. I would grab the clutch so there is no imput (positive or negative) to the rear wheel. Get the bike as straight up asI could without going off the cliff or into a hard object and suck inmy breath and hope.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:12 AM
utexasrider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks guys. i was really looking for a kryptonite against gravel but there doesn't seem to be one. you guys did answer the reason why i have to hold the throttle during the turns. i need to focus on that when i'm going through the turn. there are some good tips on this thread.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:36 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

ORIGINAL: dadofsix

I was taught "slow into a curve fast out of it" meaning a steady acceleration through the curve provided you entered the curve at a safe speed. But, doesn't gravel mess up any equation with respect to taking a curve?

<><Peace

Yes. Normally you should pull in the clutch when going over anything slick while going straight but in a turn if you let up on the throttle or pull in the clutch you will go wider in the turn creating another problem. Gravel in a turn is a bitch.

Old 05-29-2007, 05:09 PM
BWLucky13
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friendwas successful at getting through the gravel in a turn, only to end up off the pavement with a very lucky dismount as his new RK went to hell (off the mountain).There is not much of a substitute for entering curves cautiously and accelerating through andout of them. But there is one: counter-steering. Don't believe those who say everyone does it naturally. Most folks turn by shifting weightand leaning the bike until this becomes second nature. Counter-steering does not come as naturally as leaning the bike. Now, I practice it every time I go through a significant curve.