General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If I'm only doing pipes and A/C do I need to buy a SERT or can Dealer just re-map ECM and Dyno tune?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 08:45 PM
Ace07FXDL
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default If I'm only doing pipes and A/C do I need to buy a SERT or can Dealer just re-map ECM and Dyno tune?

I just bought a 2007 FXDL a week ago and have about 100 miles on so far. I'm totally happy with the way the bike rides and handles so far but I want to put a set of V&H Straitshot slip-ons and a SE A/C and have it re-mapped & Dyno-tuned at my 1000 mile service check. Do I have to buy a SERT myself or can the dealer re-map the ECM and Dyno tune with me just paying for the re-map and Dyno? I won't be doing more than pipes & A/C so I won't need the SERT again-probably. Whats the best way to go if onyl doing pipes and A/C?

Old 05-27-2007, 08:48 PM
Ganooch
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RE: If I'm only doing pipes and A/C do I need to buy a SERT or can Dealer just re-map ECM and Dyno t

You will need to purchase a tuner to remap the EFI. It does not necessarily need to be a SERT, there are cheaper options out there, especially if you are only going to use it once. Be careful though, mods are addicting and you may find yourself doing a Stage II soon anyway...

Old 05-27-2007, 09:58 PM
scottylj
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: If I'm only doing pipes and A/C do I need to buy a SERT or can Dealer just re-map ECM and Dyno t

I'm doing the same thing to my 07 FLSTF here down under.

(I am waiting on the dealers to get the sert unit which is on back order from the US. I don't know what you guys are doing with them up there - are you eating them??)

I'm doing the SE slip ons and the air cleaner and I have to get the Fuel Inj sys remapped. I have looked at other and cheaper alternatives but I'm told this affects the warranty so I'll stick with the SE gear. The kit looks to be just the interface connection and a CD - the cables appear to be another purchase again but I don't want to be bringing my laptop anywhere near my bike - I don't think the two worlds should ever be that close together.

I agree once the hook is in, stage II is only just the next stage anyway really!

Old 05-27-2007, 10:28 PM
Geoseismic
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dealer can install a download for stage one. It would be a waste of money to get it a dyno, because all they can do is print you a read out of the dyno run. You must have a SERT or another tuning device to get it dyno tuned. If you don't want to invest in a SERT or PCIII, the stage one download will probably be sufficient. If you are happy with the bikes performance and don't intend to do anymore upgrades, then the download is a cheap way to go (around $150.00), however if you plan on future upgrades, it may be more cost effective to invest in the SERT.

Old 05-27-2007, 10:51 PM
celt
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the stage one DL works pretty good and you should have it when getting a high flo air cleaner or you will run lean and that is not good. I woulnt dyno the nike, at least untill you have 1K on it and then deoing it would tell you how you air fuel mix is and HP and torque. I the download on my 06 FXST, rush 2.0" slip-ons and the SE AC. my fuel air is almost perfect 79 HP and 78 TQ.
If you want to dyno run it just to see if you want it should only run about $50.00 at least that is what a simple dyno run costs at my localdealership.