General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Davidson boots are junk

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2016 | 02:41 AM
Hopper.
|
Advanced
Default Harley Davidson boots are junk

My OL bought a pair of Harley Davidson ladies' riding boots from the local HD dealer about two years ago. They get about a half a day of use every week or fortnight, max. Within a few months, the sole fell right off of one boot.

Got it repaired at a mall shoe repair place as it was quick and cheap and the dealership was too far away at the time. But the now the sole fell off again, and took it to an old time boot repair guy who really knows his stuff and does good work.

"Harley Davidson boots are junk" were the first words he said. "Not worth you paying me to fix them." He then proceeded to show us how the whole sole material is disintegrating because it is made of some cheap-*** junk kind of rubber. And the upper is no better.

"And the Harley shop guys know their boots are junk," he goes on. "Because they are always bringing customers' boots in here for me to glue back together". I guess the glued soles, like ours, hang togehter long enough for the customer not to expect any further warranty etc.

Disappointing as the boots were not cheap to buy. We only got them because she should try them on at the dealer and they fit real nice. But quality wise, they certainly don't compare well with my regular Carolina boots that last me 10 to 20 years.

Anyone else found this with HD boots?

Old 11-02-2016 | 02:44 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member

FWIW they're made by "Wolverine".

Old 11-02-2016 | 03:14 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member

Most shoes are junk, these days. HDBoots are typical, and like most of their stuff overpriced. If you want quality boots, made in USA, they are hard to find and cost $200 or more.

I have the HD Lynx. I like them because they're comfortable,and waterproof. They have excellent Vibram soles and have held up well. But they flex in the heel cup, digging into my side occasionally, and they are hot, so I mostly wear my Redwings. They are excellent quality boots, but not a motorcycle boot.

Old 11-02-2016 | 05:08 AM
6 gun
Seasoned HDF Member

I bought a pair of HD steel toed boots to work in one time and that was enough for me. I'll never make that mistake again, I learned my lesson real good.

Old 11-02-2016 | 06:27 AM
CaptKirk
Cruiser

Strange. I love mine. Best riding boots I have ever owned.

The following 4 users liked this post by CaptKirk:
oldnslow (Today), Redlegvzv (11-02-2016), Sarah93003 (11-02-2016), Tony P (11-08-2016)
Old 11-02-2016 | 07:10 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

My Wife's Harley boots are 4 years old and are as good now as they were when they were new.
I bought pair of Harley boots and within 6 months the zipper broke.

I then bought a pair of Milwaukee brand boots and 3.5 years later they are still as well put together as the day I bought them.

I guess what I'm getting at is it's hit and miss if what you're buying these days is put together well or not.
I think it all depends on which 13 year old Asian kid was working the bench that day.

The following 2 users liked this post by Bluraven:
slodsm (11-02-2016), Thor (09-27-2017)
Old 11-02-2016 | 07:36 AM
RK_Classic
Seasoned HDF Member

Sorry about your luck. Mine have been good for the past 10yrs.

rk classic.

Old 11-02-2016 | 08:04 AM
slodsm
Road Master

Originally Posted by Bluraven
I think it all depends on which 13 year old Asian kid was working the bench that day.
Agreed, I wear Milwaukee as well and I do like them a lot. I've worked in boots my entire adult life and I've had just about every brand out there and even though HD boots are made by wolverine I haven't had much luck with their regular work boots in a long time either. Good work boots are now Danner or Red Wing and really that seems to be where it ends with CONSITENT quality. Other brands you can get a good one or a bad one but those two just last.

Old 11-02-2016 | 08:13 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member

And they're overpriced

The following users liked this post:
Thor (09-27-2017)
Old 11-02-2016 | 08:35 AM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member

Hmmm. I have a pair of HD boots and they have been great. They are holding up well and they are very comfortable.

Of course I can't say that I give them hard usage. I am a day-rider coffee run kind of rider.

Since most clothing and footwear is made in third world countries, usually in Asia, I don't know that it is even possible to buy boots, HD or otherwise, that are "craftsman quality."

But I do like my HD boots.

Quick Reply: Harley Davidson boots are junk