General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Davidson boots are junk

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2016 | 03:19 PM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Default Best I've found

I own two pair of these. They've been all over the country. They shine up very nicely. Worn them to weddings and funerals. Fit great right out of the box. No metal in them so I can clear metal detectors at the airport or the county court house. http://us.magnumboots.com/product-st...-ct-black.html

Old 11-07-2016 | 11:02 PM
Starwarrior
Cruiser

Put on your **** kickers and kick some ****.

The following users liked this post:
Jay Guild (11-08-2016)
Old 11-08-2016 | 07:58 AM
Dean Palmer
6th Gear

Start with MADE IN USA.

As everyone here can figure out, Harley Davidson is not, nor has ever been a boot company. They have had numerous manufacturers make boots for them, some good, some crap. My method is simple, the first thing you look for is the "MADE IN USA" label. If your boots are not made in the USA, you deserve whatever you get. If they are, all the manufacturers I'm aware of stand behind their product for workmanship. Lots of USA choices, and they might not be inexpensive but you get a lot of value and you save American jobs. Been wearing Red Wing Boots for years, but that's just what I happened to buy. I wear the soles off them and I'm proud to have just bought another pair after 12 years of hard use. (the old ones are still great)

Aside from that speech, many of the cheaper soles will come off the boot, especially ones that have sat on the shelf for years in a warehouse before you buy them on sale at a great price. Cheap glue degrades and fails, and soles that are not stitched will almost always fail due to age alone. Use a good contact cement to adhere them again, it's that easy. Shoe Goo used as a contact cement works great too and will extend the life of even the cheapest boots.

The following users liked this post:
J.Tours (11-08-2016)
Old 11-08-2016 | 09:18 AM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by AGSURFR

Bought them years ago. Didn't use them very much because I have a pair of Frye engineer boots I wear most of the time.

Wore this pair for a ride one day last year and when I stopped they were like this.
They won't do well if you don't wear them. The sole and the leather dries out. While you wear them the sweat is absorbed into the boot and allows it to be pliable. When it dries out for a long time and then you wear it the sole will crack and the leather will get stiff. I noticed yours cracked and broke on the right side, possibly because it was also exposed to the heat of the exhaust when you eventually wore them again. I've tried to wear my steel toes on the bike but the extra sole on the front and back make them too long for my heel toe shifter. I have another pair of HD boots and a pair of shoes that have this problem as well. I need to get measurements to see if I can put those extended arm shifters on to get a bit more room.

Old 11-08-2016 | 10:03 AM
oakspeed
Tourer

i have a pair of fxrg boots. i managed to fetch the heel off one boot, but that was me forcing the boot off with the other foot, instead of undoing the laces properly.
glued it back and they are fine. i would buy another pair.
but i have seen some cheapo crap on the dealers shelf. these tend to be the leisure boot, not the riding boot.

Old 11-08-2016 | 02:04 PM
ncdeekay
Tourer

Sorry you had a bad experience. I've been wearing mine regularly for almost 10 years and they still look and feel great.

Old 11-08-2016 | 02:57 PM
J.Tours
Intermediate

Originally Posted by martinj
Not true. There are all sorts of good boots out there in the $250-$400 range. You just need to know what to look for.....
I agree, I've never had a bad pair of Chippewa boots and I have also never paid more than $300.

Old 11-08-2016 | 05:19 PM
AGSURFR
Tourer

Originally Posted by Jay Guild
They won't do well if you don't wear them. The sole and the leather dries out. While you wear them the sweat is absorbed into the boot and allows it to be pliable. When it dries out for a long time and then you wear it the sole will crack and the leather will get stiff. I noticed yours cracked and broke on the right side, possibly because it was also exposed to the heat of the exhaust when you eventually wore them again. I've tried to wear my steel toes on the bike but the extra sole on the front and back make them too long for my heel toe shifter. I have another pair of HD boots and a pair of shoes that have this problem as well. I need to get measurements to see if I can put those extended arm shifters on to get a bit more room.

A couple of trips to Iraq and Afghanistan kind of got in the way of wearing them.

Old 11-09-2016 | 05:45 AM
insp.clouseau
Cruiser

That's what you get with japcrap? everyone knows half of the moco clothes are made cheaply overseas and sold at premium prices?

Old 11-09-2016 | 07:59 AM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member

Quick Reply: Harley Davidson boots are junk