General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 07:36 AM
Bldbill
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question

Ok here goes.
i have a sportster that I love. But I have Always wanted an Indian. Now I know there are no real Indians being manufactured anymore. I have an opportunity to trade my sportster for a kawasaki drifter 1500 that is a 1948 chief copy. It was dreamed up by the original family and some American steel enthusiasts and from all the reviews it is a great bike. ( better than the Polaris) so do I get the drifter and be satisfied with that being as close to a real Indian that I'll ever get or do I keep my Sportster and keep wanting?
Thanks

Old 10-28-2016, 07:43 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,675 Likes on 1,663 Posts

If you want a real Indian, save your money and you'll get there eventually.

You'll never be satisfied with a copy.

(In before the move!!!)

Old 10-28-2016, 08:25 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,105 Likes on 6,693 Posts

On the Cool factor/respect scale:
REAL Indian=There you go.
Sportster=You're just fine.
New Indian=Well...OK.
Drifter=Bottom feeder...It feels good until someone you know sees you.

Old 10-28-2016, 08:31 AM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,747 Likes on 982 Posts

keep the sportster and save up for something else.

Old 10-28-2016, 08:39 AM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,138 Likes on 2,682 Posts

It's not an Indian and never will be. If you're cool with that, go for it. I find though that when I've bought 2nd choice, I always regret it.

Last edited by kngpn; 10-28-2016 at 08:41 AM.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:46 AM
sharpcanoe
Cruiser
Received 98 Likes on 38 Posts
Default drifter

Several years ago I had 3 Harleys. sold them and didn't ride for awhile... wasn't interested in riding but saw a drifter for sale and loved the style of it. It was an 800 which is train drive and a frame like the softtail (like a rigid frame\) the 1500 is shaft drive and has shocks on the seat (not softtail). I loved it and everytime I parked it beside Harleys everyone walked over and admired it and always complimented me about it. Wife was saying I should have a Harley again (she doesnt ride) but I didn't want one because I enjoyed that drifter. I eventually gave in and bought a 2005 Road king. Beautiful bike... I parked the drifter in the garage and it has been sitting there for a year.. If I sell it to someone it is going to hurt seeing someone else riding it. If I save it for the grandson then it will be 14 years before he can drive it.. Going to have to dig a hole with the backhoe and put it in the ground.. Also noted that I don't get too many compliments about the Harley like I did with the drifter as there are a lot of Harleys out there so people get used to them.. A drifter is a lot of fun and they are a good looking bike no matter what anyone says. The important thing is that you are riding no matter what it is. I love my Harley also but I don't fall into the "Harley is god" group.. Did that 30 years ago and grew out of it since a company that has been making motorcycle for over 100 years cares more about profit than making a good machine and keeping their clients happy.. just my 2 cents

Last edited by sharpcanoe; 11-20-2016 at 07:49 AM.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:48 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 459 Likes on 358 Posts

Like others have said if you want and Indian save up and keep your eyes out for them, sooner or later you will find it. If you want an Indian, a Kawi drifter is not it. Its no different than always wanting a Rolex but deciding to settle for fake Rolex from Rollo on the corner

With that said if you are fine with it and it makes you happy then that's all that matters, however I know how I am and if I have my mind set on something for a long time a look a like does not fit the bill.

Last edited by Mxdad; 10-28-2016 at 08:51 AM.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:57 AM
JWP07
Tourer
Received 104 Likes on 60 Posts

Real Indian or not a real Indian? If that does not really matter to you I would suggest a test ride on a newer bike. I previously had an Indian Scout and I gotta tell you - I loved that bike! Responsive, quick and a great looking bike (lots of head turns and comments if that kinda thing is important to you).

I traded it in for my '16 Heritage largely due to the really great deal I got as my dealership was trying to move the '16s out to make room for the '17s. Always wanted a Heritage so the timing was great!

Don't get me wrong - my Heritage is a far superior bike in every way and I absolutely love it...just wanted to pass on my "Indian" experience.

While I am at it - a bit off topic - but I did buy a GREAT Indian riding jacket - is it bad form to wear while I am out on my Heritage? I know - blast away if you must - I kinda deserve it for even asking the question!

Old 10-28-2016, 09:31 AM
MikeBel
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,564 Likes on 671 Posts

It's your money, not mine, so do what makes you happy. But you said you want an Indian, not a Kawi, so will you truly be happy?

Personally I don't like copies or imitations of anything, and if I were you I'd do the following:

1) Determine the value of your Sporty (and don't dump a ton of cash into it going forward)

2) Research the INDIAN you really want and determine it's cost.

3) Plan and save to make it happen.

In the end you'll feel a lot better owning the real deal, and you'll never have to sheepishly say, " well it's not really an Indian, it's a Kawasaki".

Old 10-28-2016, 09:53 AM
Bldbill
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for all the input

i just want to say thanks, there are a lot of valid points here and the on that sticks the most is to keep on saving and get the real thing. Ever since I was a little kid and my dad put me in the saddle of his " big 80" I have always wanted one. So I'll save my money for awhile longer and see if I can find one. Thank you all!!!

Quick Reply: Question