General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Socal.. LOVE RIDE.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 05:03 AM
B Line
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Socal.. LOVE RIDE.

Hey all,

So I am going to take my basic rider course this weekend and hopefully will get my endorsement on Sunday.

I was thinking, I have never been to a bike rally or group ride or anything like that and I noticed the LOVE RIDE is coming up in November.
maybe this should be my first rally??

So someone's got to clue me in a little on these rally things... What's the etiquette ?
Are there do's and dont's?
What gear do I bring?
What do I leave at home?
Do I let people know I am inexperienced and ask them where to line up?
etc..

Am I allowed to instigate fights with cagers and racers like in the movies... ??
example: The roadblock scene in Cannonball Run
and the whole subplot of, Any Which Way but Loose
and that scene in A Bronx Tale
oh yeah, and that boz movie.. You know.. Brian Bozworth is Joe Huff, John Huff is John Stone, John Stone is, STONE COLD !!
and how about convoy !!!! oh wait, those were 18 wheelers !! -- However I always wanted the handle, RUBBER DUCKY !

You know what, now that I think about it, in every major motion picture where there are bikers in a fight, etc. the bikers get their *** kicked.. Maybe I should just lay low and enjoy the ride !!

B

Old 10-05-2005, 11:43 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
Default RE: Socal.. LOVE RIDE.

We went out to the Love Ride in 1995 and had a blast. Glendale HD trys to have a lot of activities, good bands and good food at the rally. They also have other activities prior to the ride.

The year we were there they had an open house at the Otis Chandler Motorcycle Museum in Oxnard. This is a must see if you like classic cars, motorcycles, and big game animals.

You need to be there early (4:30 AM) if you want to be among the first bikes out. Don't worry about lining up or things like that, there will be people there to get everything coordinated.

Enjoy.

Regards,

Bill

Old 10-05-2005, 11:44 AM
Coaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Go to a rally and check it out. You may or may not like it. The only 2 things I can think of is be respectful to others and be in CONTROL of your bike when your making your way through the crowd.

After reading this forum I get this feeling a lot of people (and I ain't sayin' you're one of them) buy a bike and think now they have to morph into this 'biker'. Buying a bike doesn't make you a biker, riding it does. Where you ride to doesn't matter.

Old 10-05-2005, 12:20 PM
Longhair4life
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I went to the Love Ride once in the mid 90s. Watch out during the trip to the lake. There are a lot of RUBS that must not get out often and act stupid on their bikes cutting in and out of traffic and cuting people off. There was no control on the frwy and for that many bikes and people acting stupid it was a scary sight. Its been a while since I went. I hope they changed it to a controlled formation. Ton of nice bikes though.

Old 10-05-2005, 05:43 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 103 Likes on 65 Posts

Been to 10 or 12 of them, live 10 minutes from the lake. I stopped riding from Glendale a bunch of years ago. 20,000 people all trying to ride with Jay Leno make a huge croud. Lots have been there all night drinking, parking is a bitch. You will be on the Freeway for 25 miles with a ton of bikes all jockying for position. Admission is up to $65.00 now. It has rained on the day or the day before most years, the grass is wet, and there is very limited places to sit. The last Love Ride we went to was the ZZ Top run. Very few vendors.

This is the last year we went. Got there at 7:00 am, the line was about a mile and a half long, gates opened at 9:30. This did not include the group riding from Glendale! About a half mile back some poor guy who rode in from Arizona the night before fell off his parked bike and broke his leg. Never did get in.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3757/669475DD0E834439A42F63DD3D5F1905.jpg[/IMG]