General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The EFI system is disappointing me

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 06:49 PM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by rjjj629
I have a lawnmower.
I have a snowblower.

I noticed on days I use the blower I don't ride. Coincidence?

MikerR1, aren't you under warranty? Gas I guarantee is not an issue

Old 10-23-2016, 08:45 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,671 Likes on 2,541 Posts

Cold front came through here, too. Bike ran like a raped ape with a bent banana. That's the advantage of EFI. Something else is amiss with your sled.

Old 10-23-2016, 08:54 PM
Back-n-Black
Club Member
Received 432 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by MikerR1
Power Vision tuner. Thats a big difference. I have the 12 mm bungs so I would have to get new pipes or drill holes in my new pipes to put it on. But I did consider it and am still considering it.
No uses the stock O2 sensors unless you want to go with the more advanced autotune.

Old 10-23-2016, 08:55 PM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

My bike ran terrific. It accelerated good, sounded good and handled good. I loved it.
There is absolutely no substitute for a brand new deck of Bicycle playing cards. My suggestion is, stop using those cheap convenience store brands and stick with high quality playing cards for that authentic, no compromise performance.

Old 10-23-2016, 09:25 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 6,280 Likes on 3,426 Posts

I have a 2016 Fatboy
Gotcha. Well, again, the Powervision works just fine on that bike, and even though you still haven't answered, I assume it has stock pipes.
Pictures of your bike?

Old 10-23-2016, 09:33 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 7,249 Likes on 3,443 Posts

Originally Posted by HDConvert511
Gotcha. Well, again, the Powervision works just fine on that bike, and even though you still haven't answered, I assume it has stock pipes.
Pictures of your bike?

Old 10-24-2016, 06:35 AM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,128 Likes on 2,802 Posts

Old 10-24-2016, 07:36 AM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 192 Posts

I'm counter leaning that something is amiss here. Take the 2016 by the dealer for them to evaluate. I have an early EFI system, 20 years old now, that I do enjoy.
If the bike runs better on Sunday are you wearing your Sunday-go-to-meeting cloths, or are you wearing your Sunday-out-to-be-a-pirate gear.
One thing to consider since you let a tank of gas sit for 5 days is to use the maximum amount of Sta-Bilt for the amount of fuel remaining.
In other words if you have a 5 gal tank and ride all weekend leaving 4.75 gals left just use the appropriate amount for 5 gals. Add some octane boost the following weekend.

Old 10-24-2016, 07:52 AM
MikerR1
Banned
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Back-n-Black
No uses the stock O2 sensors unless you want to go with the more advanced autotune.
Thanks for telling me that.

Originally Posted by Crashone
I'm counter leaning that something is amiss here. Take the 2016 by the dealer for them to evaluate. I have an early EFI system, 20 years old now, that I do enjoy.
If the bike runs better on Sunday are you wearing your Sunday-go-to-meeting cloths, or are you wearing your Sunday-out-to-be-a-pirate gear.
One thing to consider since you let a tank of gas sit for 5 days is to use the maximum amount of Sta-Bilt for the amount of fuel remaining.
In other words if you have a 5 gal tank and ride all weekend leaving 4.75 gals left just use the appropriate amount for 5 gals. Add some octane boost the following weekend.
I am waiting for next Saturday. If it runs poorly on Saturday but ok on Sunday I am going to start thinking there is something I do not understand with the way the ecm works.

I know the ECM has something called "adaptive learining". Which, I think, means that the system will keep track of the amount of fuel it has to add or subtract for each cell in the map. This causes the map to get better with time. My understanding was that the adaptive learning does not reset unless you disconnect the battery. For instance it does not reset when you turn off the bike. However, the order you do things on the bike may be important. You may have to turn the bike off by first turning off the stop/run switch and then the ignition switch, to make sure the learned results are saved. If you turn off the ignition switch first, before turning off the stop/run they may not be saved. But this is all speculation. I really do not know. I am wondering if there is some time limit in the ecm that if the bike is not turned on for x number of days all the adaptive learning data is reset. I do not know yet.

Having said all that, MasterTune (the guys who wrote the original SERT software) have said that one should turn off the ignition switch before the stop run switch. He says that the ecm also learns the zero point on your throttle via adaptive learning. That article says that if you use the stop/run switch to turn off the bike you might be twisting the throttle a tiny bit at the time you turn off the bike and the ecm may be learning that the idle position is not exactly at zero. He says the symptom of this is the idle will gradually creep up with time.

Here is a link to the MasterTune article. Scroll down to the bottom "Electronic Throttle High Speed Idle"
http://www.mastertune.net/support_tuning_problems.html

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 11-07-2016 at 10:36 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:35 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,377 Likes on 2,547 Posts

the order you do things on the bike may be important. You may have to turn the bike off by first turning off the stop/run switch and then the ignition switch,
oh god, no. only 1 debate at a time, please

Quick Reply: The EFI system is disappointing me