General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Milwaukee Harley-Davidson Closing Temporarily

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 04:20 PM
jeffro09
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,461 Likes on 1,313 Posts

Windy City appears to own 12 now. There aren't many within an hour of me they don't own. So far I have no issue with this......So far.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:24 PM
greggreen
Cruiser
Received 98 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffro09
Windy City appears to own 12 now. There aren't many within an hour of me they don't own. So far I have no issue with this......So far.
Maybe it's time to call in an expert on the Sherman Act.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:30 PM
not a sock
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 985 Likes on 552 Posts

Several years ago, the dealer I bought my first new Harley from was 'forced' to sell to a group of investors because he would NOT locate to near the interstate and invest in a 3 million dollar store.

I bought a couple more bikes from them at the new location, but it wasn't like being "one of the guys" that I was at the old store.

So I moved on..................

Old 01-20-2017, 02:19 PM
J-Pat
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Huh. Kinda strange, don't ya think?

Old 01-20-2017, 08:17 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

Yeah the Harley Studio Crap Dealers now in Vogue are a joke. You walk in and it's a marketing fake world. You can't smell fresh paint, tires, fuel or oil, not even leather. If it was not for the over priced t-shirts it would be neutral. I really wanted to enjoy buying my new RK. No way that could happen. I was not going to help pay for all that stupid marketing crap and a building so otherwise useless. So it became a very mean and to the point business deal.

When I went to the right dealer that wanted to really sell a motorcycle. Made the deal and they pushed it right out the front door for me so I did not have to spend my time with my new bike in there little studio Harley part of the dealer. They are a multi-line dealer. You go back to the part of the dealer that has the other lines of bikes you can smell paint, tires, a wiff of fuel here and there. It smells, looks and sounds like a motorcycle dealer. Walk around a corner and your back in Harley fantasy land... And everything cost twice what it does around the corner.

Old 01-22-2017, 03:34 PM
DRBUICK
Road Master
Received 323 Likes on 202 Posts

In Know the new bike manager at Hals is the old one from Milwaukee HD. The new GM at Hals is from the twin city's. The Gm that was at Hals is now at Schlossmann's bike store on silver spring. I'm new to Harley's bought two new ones in 6 months. If you want performance I heard suburban has the best in the area and word on the street suburban is the best in the area

Old 01-25-2017, 11:50 AM
Bart van der Meulen
Road Master
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 0maha
At least around here, motorcycle dealers were always something of a low-rent operation. They'd come and go over the years, but were generally located in fairly modest parts of town, in fairly modest buildings. 1500 sq ft of showroom was a lot.

​​​​​ Then the boom years happened and the MoCo was able to demand that their dealers build these cathedrals to consumerism. 40 years ago, motorcycle stores were just motorcycle stores. Small. Functional. Utilitarian.

Anyway, the MoCo has built a ton of overhead into their distribution channel. All those dealers who built those cathedrals need to sell a ton of bikes to make their nut. When sales drop hard like they have in the last couple of years, those guys get pinched hard.

40 years ago, Omaha had one HD dealer in a crappy building in a crappy part of town. Today we have three, two of which are the latest generation cathedrals, and one of which is the previous generation cathedral. I wouldn't be surprised if five years from now we are back down to one. In a crappy building in a crappy part of town.
So true ! The first dealer in the Netherlands (Amsterdam) could not effort a 'cathedral' as forced by HD and bankrupted. Together with the sofokating new dealer contracts (no room and no turn over for non-HD stuff) the kiling amongst dealers worldwide just started. Or better 'soft suicide', forced by the MoCo. We all want our 'old skool repairshops' back, where the main skills consist of motorbike repairs and issues instead of 'marketing'.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:28 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 666 Likes on 414 Posts

Harley's dealer development folks are driving operational similarities between selling cars and selling bikes on its dealerships. I don't mind the mega showrooms. What I miss is the personal attention I received from the old school shops.

Riders from the 70s remember these shops. They smelled like solvent and oil, not clothing stores. The person who sold you a bike really knew his stuff. You might see a friendly dog sleeping in the corner. Best of all, they remembered your name.

Old 01-25-2017, 02:10 PM
CarlB
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 13 and counting

http://powersportsbusiness.com/news/...-dealer-group/

I like that Suburban is still where they were 20+ years ago

Old 01-25-2017, 02:56 PM
jeffro09
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,461 Likes on 1,313 Posts

"My" dealership is not one of the cathedral dealerships at all, which is fine by me. Dekalb Harley (now Barbed Wire Harley-Davidson) is the smallest dealership around, square footage wise. I'm still hoping Windy City doesn't screw it up.

When a buddy and I rode to and around Colorado last summer we visited some of those cathedral dealerships, with huge clothing sections, a diner, a coffee shop, a museum, and things like that. Definitely some wow factor there, but it does add to the cost of the everything. Of course if the added cost bothered me that much I could ride a Honda.

Quick Reply: Milwaukee Harley-Davidson Closing Temporarily