General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biketoberfest demo rides; my impressions: Milwaukee 8 Roadking VS. Fatboy S

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 11:11 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,658 Likes on 2,537 Posts
Default Biketoberfest demo rides; my impressions: Milwaukee 8 Roadking VS. Fatboy S

Well, even though the weather did not cooperate fully Saturday, I was able to get in a couple demo rides on 2 bikes I was interested in, the '017 RoadKing & the Fatboy S. I had wanted to ride the Slim S, but I didn't wanna wait for it to get back as the sky was pissy & threatening the whole time, so I took the Fatboy S.

First of all, I didn't think the M8 motor was any smoother than a good running TC. I absolutely COULD NOT get used to the TBW, the "lag" when you cracked the throttle or clutched away from stop was totally unaaceptable, and that alone would keep me from buying a new touring bike. The hydraulic clutch was either engaged, or dis-engaged, and it wasn't until the end of the test ride that I was able to clutch away from a stop smoothly. I could live with that, just took a little getting used to. The power was excellent; seemed I could roll on first & second gear & bring the front end up an inch or 2, and THAT was with my GF on the back. Shifting was typical Harley "clunk", the suspension was first class all the way; very smooth. Handlebars were not comfortable,too high & not wide enough, nor did I like the look of them. Woulda preferred more "beachy" type bars, like on the early 2000's Fatboy.The seat was meh. Couldn't really tell what the handling was like as it was drizzling on & off, so I hadda be careful around curves because of my precious cargo. All in all; a great bike RUINED with that damn TBW. I know some don't mind it, but to me, the motor seems "disconnected" from the throttle; much the same way revving a new Camry would feel. I would pass on this bike soleley because of the TBW.

Next I rode the Fatboy S. One thing I noticed...upon starting the bike, there was that famous "hammer to the undercarriage" BANG famous with the bad '07 up comp.Dunno what's up with that. It was the lowest HD I had ever sat on, that felt GREAT. Letting out the clutch on that fantastic 110" motor, I noticed 3 things...the TBW lag was NOT present in the throttle, it felt like it had cables, the hydraulic clutch was much more progressive & had a great feel, and the bike had GOBS of torque, which made clutchaway from a stop effortless. Now, the ground was beginning to dry, and a hard throttle roll-on sent me down the road POST HASTE! Shifting was typically Harley, the ride was the best Softail ride I had ever experienced, and the bars,seat, & floorboards were perfectly comfortable, and I came back thinking I might...juuuuust might be visiting my dealership on Monday. Can't decide if I like the Slim S or Fatboy S better, but they are both great looking sleds. Never was a fan of blacked out stuff, but the GLOSS BLACK motor looked GREAT! As I left the test ride area, I saw a new '017 Slim S on display, and OMG; it comes stock with a 117 motor; now if I buy I'm gonna hafta have THAT one.

Rest of the day was uneventful. I tried to buy a solo seat for my RKC, and absolutely NO ONE had a solo for my bike; JP don't carry LePera anymore at their Daytona store, and the Mustang was too "clunky" looking. GF bought a leather vest, had some great pizza on the beach,great candy at that taffy store, did Beach St, Destination Daytona,then Main St. Was a pretty good day.

Last edited by dickey; 10-16-2016 at 11:14 AM.
Old 10-16-2016, 11:32 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,748 Likes on 3,108 Posts

Shame the M8 powered RK had throttle lag. That is unacceptable. Hopefully, it's just maladjusted. One would think the demo fleet would be "100%" right...

Hyd. clutches are often like Honda...soul less.

Bikes "wheelie" easier with passengers, btw.

Old 10-16-2016, 11:39 AM
MikerR1
Banned
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
Well, even though the weather did not cooperate fully Saturday, I was able to get in a couple demo rides on 2 bikes I was interested in, the '017 RoadKing & the Fatboy S. I had wanted to ride the Slim S, but I didn't wanna wait for it to get back as the sky was pissy & threatening the whole time, so I took the Fatboy S.

Next I rode the Fatboy S. One thing I noticed...upon starting the bike, there was that famous "hammer to the undercarriage" BANG famous with the bad '07 up comp.Dunno what's up with that. It was the lowest HD I had ever sat on, that felt GREAT. Letting out the clutch on that fantastic 110" motor, I noticed 3 things...the TBW lag was NOT present in the throttle, it felt like it had cables, the hydraulic clutch was much more progressive & had a great feel, and the bike had GOBS of torque, which made clutchaway from a stop effortless. Now, the ground was beginning to dry, and a hard throttle roll-on sent me down the road POST HASTE! Shifting was typically Harley, the ride was the best Softail ride I had ever experienced, and the bars,seat, & floorboards were perfectly comfortable, and I came back thinking I might...juuuuust might be visiting my dealership on Monday. Can't decide if I like the Slim S or Fatboy S better, but they are both great looking sleds. Never was a fan of blacked out stuff, but the GLOSS BLACK motor looked GREAT! As I left the test ride area, I saw a new '017 Slim S on display, and OMG; it comes stock with a 117 motor; now if I buy I'm gonna hafta have THAT one.
What do you mean by "hammer to the undercarriage" BANG?

Nice review.

Last edited by MikerR1; 10-16-2016 at 11:48 AM.
Old 10-16-2016, 11:55 AM
YammyDrummer
Road Warrior
Received 492 Likes on 289 Posts

Seems like I have read several posts about the TBW "lag". I can honestly say I don't notice it at all. As a matter of fact, for me, it is quite the opposite and very responsive. Wonder why/how we notice completely different things on the same bike? Perception is a funny thing I guess.

Absolutely agree with you on the Fatboy S. Road one at demo days this year. What a sweet Ride! Didn't ride the Slim because my a buddy has one (standard vesion, not the S model) that I've ridden several times. IMO, the Fatboy/Fatboy S ride allot better. I think it's the wider rear tire and different seat that make the difference for me. Sure you'll do side by side test ride comparisons at the dealer to make the call for yourself, and look forward to your thoughts on the differences. Good luck!

Old 10-16-2016, 03:51 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,658 Likes on 2,537 Posts

Originally Posted by MikerR1
What do you mean by "hammer to the undercarriage" BANG?

Nice review.
All of the 96" Harleys starting in '07 had a weak compensator, which would let out a loud BANG! at the moment the bike fired up. Sounded like someone hit the motor with a ball paen hammer. My '07 RKC did it until I installed the SE comp; problem gone now.

Old 10-16-2016, 03:57 PM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 177 Posts

"I saw a new '017 Slim S on display, and OMG; it comes stock with a 117 motor"

117 and not the 114 that is on the 2017 SE's?

Old 10-16-2016, 06:59 PM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,769 Likes on 1,417 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
As I left the test ride area, I saw a new '017 Slim S on display, and OMG; it comes stock with a 117 motor; now if I buy I'm gonna hafta have THAT one.
Is that a typo? HD website shows the 110.

Thanks for the review. I had test ridden a 2017 RK a few weeks ago. I guess coming from a Dyna, I found the new RK to be a smooth machine, including the engine. I agree about the clutch. I wasn't digging it, but I'm sure I could get used it. I didn't experience the lag the throttle. The Slim S is one of the hottest bikes HD makes. Get it!!!

Last edited by rauchman; 10-16-2016 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:54 PM
_Gir_
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Hm, I need to find a 16 FB S.

Old 10-16-2016, 09:22 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 605 Likes on 440 Posts

"Is that a typo? HD website shows the 110"

No they come with the counter balanced 110. You can have a 117 kit put in it but it will cost you.

The hydraulic clutch and TBW are 2 features the new bikes I could do without but thats is progress I guess.

The following users liked this post:
rauchman (10-17-2016)
Old 10-16-2016, 11:03 PM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 15,779 Likes on 6,696 Posts

I found the twin cams I rode had significant latency in the throttle whereas it was absent in the M8. I didn't ride an S model.

Quick Reply: Biketoberfest demo rides; my impressions: Milwaukee 8 Roadking VS. Fatboy S