General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inviting someone to ride who doesn't ride over 45mph.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 07:42 PM
eichacsj
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I do speed limit or under most of the time especially on scenic routes. I don't ride in groups and when asked I till them I ride slow.

I pull over for riders and cars that come up behind me. Not to often I don't go that slow.

Old 10-16-2016, 07:48 PM
rocket23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,615 Likes on 2,870 Posts

Originally Posted by eichacsj
I do speed limit or under most of the time especially on scenic routes. I don't ride in groups and when asked I till them I ride slow.

I pull over for riders and cars that come up behind me. Not to often I don't go that slow.
I need to read this post everytime I leave......might just keep me out of the morgue.

The following users liked this post:
eichacsj (10-17-2016)
Old 10-16-2016, 07:52 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,761 Likes on 3,118 Posts

Originally Posted by KenRice
Been living on the Big Island for over 30 years and feel obligated to point out the inaccuracies of your statement about riding here. If you rode during rush hour, through town (35 mph limit), or through a residential (25 mph limit) area, then you were riding at the wrong time or on the wrong road. If not, maybe you forgot to adjust your watch for the time difference Just FYI, 250 miles in 10 hours is 25mph. Either way, let me know the next time you are here and I can help you plan a better route!
Started in Kona to Black Sands, toSouth Point, up to Hilo, all the way around the North edge, back to Kona. It was slow as we obeyed the construction and speed limit signs. It was beyond awesome! Here's a couple pics from last May.

Attached Thumbnails Inviting someone to ride who doesn't ride over 45mph.-photo890.jpg   Inviting someone to ride who doesn't ride over 45mph.-photo648.jpg   Inviting someone to ride who doesn't ride over 45mph.-photo190.jpg  
Old 10-16-2016, 08:02 PM
smokingjoe
Road Captain
Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts

Yes, he needs to keep up, common courtesy to the group
He oughta know better than to even think about a group ride, what's his expectations everyone ride @ 45 MPH.
I rarely ride in groups and I belong to a bike club, I like the comraderie @ meetings etc. but I usually ride alone.
J

Old 10-16-2016, 08:08 PM
smokingjoe
Road Captain
Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts

That way, if I want to go 45 I do if I want to do 95 I do

Old 10-16-2016, 08:08 PM
Cazador
Received 3,323 Likes on 1,853 Posts

I was merging from one interstate onto another interstate today. It's 2 lanes merging into 4 lanes. Up ahead on the 4 lane I notice a guy on a bike in their right lane. He has his flashers running. I was like WTF? I am keeping an eye on him because at my speed I would be merging in about his position. Then I realize things are fouling up. This guy is on a 70 mph interstate doing about 60. Cars and trucks are trying to get around him any way they could. It started looking like the last lap of the Daytona 500. Cars and trucks swappimg lanes. No signals, braking and darting everywhere. Wholly crap!!! Quick lane change to the right and I find an opening. Full gas and get away from the cluster frick this clown created. A mile or so down the road another bike comes by me and shakes his head. He had been behind me. Glad he made it through that. That clown will probably live on. But no telling how many others he will cause problems for.
But, Hey I got my flashers on.So it's OK.

Deuuuce (10-16-2016)
Old 10-16-2016, 08:45 PM
MikerR1
Banned
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Motorcycle Braking distance. 'Braking distance' is from the point where you begin to brake to the point where you stop. Most of all, braking distance varies with speed. At 30 mph your braking distance will be 14 metres (about 45 feet) while at 70 mph that distance will increase to 75 metres (about 245 feet).
At 70 mph the stopping distance for a motorcycle is about 245 feet. That is almost the length of a football field.

When I ride, I try to stay away from everything I can. If I have to speed up to find a hole I do, if I have to slow down to keep my distance I do.

BTW, I did not know the stopping distance at 70mph was so great. I have probably been traveling much to close to the cars in front of me.

Last edited by MikerR1; 10-16-2016 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:56 PM
rocket23
Seasoned HDF Member

6-8 car lengths above 30; 4-6 car lengths below 30
my nephew was doin 20, slowing for a light,4 lane road 2 lanes each way. He is in the left lane car on his 1 oclock......with right signal on...as he proceeds, a driver saw the signal of the 1 oclock car and pulled out ...seeing my nephew after impact. At 20 mph he damn near lost his leg, no time to brake, he stated he never saw the car til it was in front of him....that's how quick accidents happen.

Old 10-16-2016, 09:41 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 262 Likes on 137 Posts

My wife used to be the passenger type who hated hiways, freeways, parkways.
Several years ago I bought a full face helmet for her because she was always cold when temps were under 60*.

Where we live it's almost impossible to get anywhere without taking a hiway or parkway. It takes about an hour to get 'out of town' and start seeing uncluttered roads. One of our daughters lives just over an hour away, using a hiway that is typically 75 mph. I always had to take city streets to get there because of her dislike of hiways. This made the trip a 2+ hour trip.

One weekend we had to go to the daughter's house but didn't have time to take the usual roads. I convinced her to 'allow' me to use the hiway. When we got there she told me that she was no longer afraid of the higher speeds.

The Reason: The full face helmet blocked all the wind and noise to her head and made the ride seem like we were going slower.

Maybe he needs a full face helmet (and/or ear plugs).

Deuuuce (10-16-2016)
Old 10-16-2016, 10:26 PM
rocket23
Seasoned HDF Member

devil may care attitudes aside , my final thought is if **** is gonna happen ,, it will happen regardless of speed.

Quick Reply: Inviting someone to ride who doesn't ride over 45mph.