General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inviting someone to ride who doesn't ride over 45mph.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 07:36 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

I must have ran into the op's friend coming back from a 4x4 camping trip.

We were driving down a 2 lane mtn. hwy.Speed limit was 55 except on some turns.
Came up the two bikes both 2up.
The guy in the back would not go faster than 40-45!We could see his buddy pull way ahead of him then slow down a few times.
Traffic was getting backed up.
Not safe IMO.

Old 10-16-2016, 07:54 AM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,694 Likes on 1,271 Posts

I like the idea if putting tape over his speedo . Just make sure your in front of him to slow him down in the curves.
Also if he has never had a bike before maybe he has a low front tire . This could slow him down for sure.

Last edited by Iron lHorse; 10-16-2016 at 09:59 PM.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:35 AM
Tiber
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Recalibrate the speedo Its psychological more than likely.

Old 10-16-2016, 09:40 AM
02Deuces
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wife and I have dealt with slow riders before. We rode our pace, and they caught up and got the message.

The following users liked this post:
Long lonesome highwayman (09-17-2019)
Old 10-16-2016, 10:13 AM
Bopple Hill Rd
Road Warrior
Received 393 Likes on 260 Posts

As I mentioned in my previous post, you should be able to ride your ride and not have safety jeopardized. All the other posts overwhelmingly agree. To support the point further, (not that it needs it), here's a perspective from the other side of it.

I was the slow guy on the last group ride that I did. There were 4 others and I was with them right up to the point where they started to exceed mid-90's mph at which point, I didn't feel comfy and backed off. They kept right on going and I caught up with them at the next stop. There were no hard feelings on either side of it...no weirdness whatsoever...they had a cold bottle of water ready for me and we just joked about the fact that this would in all probability be my first and last ride with them. It was. We're still good friends and see each other often, just don't ride together. All good. I would never want, (nor would I expect), them to adjust their ride to accommodate me. Hopefully your buddy will understand. We're all grown ups here, (at least most of us). In November, I will be going to a motorcycle show in Long Beach with the same group of guys. I'll just meet them there. All good.

Old 10-16-2016, 10:13 AM
AZRenegade
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 44 Posts

I've run into this situation on more than one occasion. I generally tell the individual who invited the turtle that he/she is responsible for the rider in question and that I don't intend to slow down the group just to accommodate the individual. That put an end to that sort of behavior very quickly.

Old 10-16-2016, 10:22 AM
V-Twin
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

It's funny that I came across this blog today.My buddy bought a Harley Fat Boy because he always wanted to ride with me.The only thing is that he won't take the bike out on the highway. And he won't ride over 45 miles an hour. So riding with him is very difficult to say the least. I have to alter my riding in order to meet up with him. I'm leaving in about 15 minutes to try and ride with him today. I told him I would take the lead and just follow. But I know hie will still lag behind. Riding with him is getting to be a pain in the *** and dangerous. He is a good friend but truthfully he's not a biker. Which is sad because we could have some great times just riding especially this time of year.

04ctd (10-17-2016)
Old 10-16-2016, 12:42 PM
rocket23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,615 Likes on 2,870 Posts

to each there own.....some people just won't do it for obvious reasons......crash,killed ,maimed for life to name a few.....Hanging up to 90 mph, I gotta give ya credit thowk, I would of throttled down in the 70's mph. range, (I have a cdl to protect)

Old 10-16-2016, 01:13 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,761 Likes on 3,118 Posts

How's your relative's eye sight? Other medical condition? This could be the issue. Or, he's just scared.

Old 10-16-2016, 01:48 PM
rocket23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,615 Likes on 2,870 Posts

This thread got me thinking, yesterday I took a trip to my brothers house.......both ways I ran into or caught up to , drivers not doing the speed limit,lollygagging ( another word for distracted) and basically just being in the road without a general direction or purpose. Anytime I drive (and I drive a lot), I have a purpose, I want to get there and get done within the posted limits, if no one is around I'll take advantage and move with a purpose.

What happened too me , I was passing cars on the right, flipping the bird or waving my arms in the air with the universal wtf arm wave. ( this was done to a truck that was on my *** end) ,after he went up the right hand only lane ,just to cut over behind me....while I'm on my bike.......yeah I saw him coming, and yes I know rules of the road......this guy either didn't care or lets face it ...he didn't care. You get a rush hour scenario and a guy doing 15 mph under the speed limit....instant traffic jam.

Quick Reply: Inviting someone to ride who doesn't ride over 45mph.