General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inviting someone to ride who doesn't ride over 45mph.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 06:20 PM
wolfman5874
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Thankfully he didn't go today. He had to stay home because an estimator was stopping by to look at his roof.

He will drive his truck 55mph on main highways but as soon as he hits a back road with a speed limit of 55 he will still only go 45mph. He only bought a bike because I did and use to have one 25 years ago. He just says he has no reason to ride over 45mph. I won't be inviting him anymore, just hope no one else does.

I need to find some new people to ride with. People that aren't scared of their own shadow.

The following users liked this post:
Deuuuce (10-16-2016)
Old 10-15-2016, 06:42 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfman5874
Thankfully he didn't go today. He had to stay home because an estimator was stopping by to look at his roof.

He will drive his truck 55mph on main highways but as soon as he hits a back road with a speed limit of 55 he will still only go 45mph. He only bought a bike because I did and use to have one 25 years ago. He just says he has no reason to ride over 45mph. I won't be inviting him anymore, just hope no one else does.

I need to find some new people to ride with. People that aren't scared of their own shadow.
I'm just curious why you want someone to ride with? I mostly ride my bike to destinations, like visiting family or friends. I plan my own route, divert anywhere that interests me, and go as fast or slow as I like. I eat wherever, and whenever I like. What is the appeal of traveling with strangers, or near strangers?

A lot of the time my wife will drive her car to visit one of my kids 100 miles away and I'll take the bike, and meet her there. Works great.

The following 3 users liked this post by Ron750:
Bama Lee (09-18-2019), Bone Doc (10-15-2016), eichacsj (10-16-2016)
Old 10-15-2016, 06:47 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,498 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
I'm just curious why you want someone to ride with? I mostly ride my bike to destinations, like visiting family or friends. I plan my own route, divert anywhere that interests me, and go as fast or slow as I like. I eat wherever, and whenever I like. What is the appeal of traveling with strangers, or near strangers?

A lot of the time my wife will drive her car to visit one of my kids 100 miles away and I'll take the bike, and meet her there. Works great.
I have to agree with this, I'm always much happier when I ride by myself...Most people are a pain in the ***.

The following 2 users liked this post by Greezey Rider:
Bama Lee (09-18-2019), Herbkell (09-18-2019)
Old 10-15-2016, 06:49 PM
Bricklayer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,836 Likes on 1,474 Posts

55 in his truck on the highway? Around here he would get run over.

The following users liked this post:
Brian15 (09-18-2019)
Old 10-15-2016, 06:55 PM
wolfman5874
Advanced

Why do you assume I only ride with other people? I ride by myself 75% of the time. I enjoy it the most to be honest. I would just like to find other people that have the same style of riding as me.

I bought my bike back in March and have 5k miles on it so far. At least 4k of those miles is me riding by myself.

Old 10-15-2016, 06:58 PM
rocket23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,615 Likes on 2,870 Posts

My nephew damn near lost his leg doing 20 mph......had he been doing 45 he would be looking for an artificial leg. I'm not saying going slower is safer, but any speed is dangerous, and not keeping with traffic just pisses people off, people who out weigh you in metal that will squash you like a bug on asphalt.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:01 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts

Why do you assume I only ride with other people? I ride by myself 75% of the time. I enjoy it the most to be honest. I would just like to find other people that have the same style of riding as me.

I bought my bike back in March and have 5k miles on it so far. At least 4k of those miles is me riding by myself.
I didn't assume you only ride with other people. As someone who rarely rides in groups I am just curious what people like about group riding? I know it's very popular, but to me the most fun thing about riding is the freedom, and a group seems to be a drag.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:05 PM
wolfman5874
Advanced

I didn't assume you only ride with other people. As someone who rarely rides in groups I am just curious what people like about group riding? I know it's very popular, but to me the most fun thing about riding is the freedom, and a group seems to be a drag.

I completely agree but riding with a buddy to the beach or a bar to grab a beer or two is fun too sometimes.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:08 PM
rocket23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,615 Likes on 2,870 Posts

2 riders does not make ''group ''riding, but the sheer difference in riding style is exaggerated ...imagine the op's buddy in a real group ride.......oh man there would be some'' wtf is wrong with this guy ''going on.... I drive a semi.and when I'm on my run if I get behind anyone who doesn't at least DO the speed limit, I find another way.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:16 PM
wolfman5874
Advanced

Originally Posted by rocket23
2 riders does not make ''group ''riding, but the sheer difference in riding style is exaggerated ...imagine the op's buddy in a real group ride.......oh man there would be some'' wtf is wrong with this guy ''going on.... I drive a semi.and when I'm on my run if I get behind anyone who doesn't at least DO the speed limit, I find another way.
Well the biggest our group gets is 4 people. That is more than enough.

I get really pissed when I'm driving/riding and someone is in front of me slowing me down. I'm not going to risk that on my bike and the person behind me might take that anger to a dangerous level. That's one reason I'm not going to ride with someone who can't do the speed limit.

Quick Reply: Inviting someone to ride who doesn't ride over 45mph.