General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inviting someone to ride who doesn't ride over 45mph.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 08:36 AM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 192 Posts

You can say you will ride faster than the slowest and slower than the fastest in the group.
I wouldn't push him out of his comfort zone but make sure he knows the destination and how long you guys will be there. Otherwise have him leave an hour early and you will catch up.

Old 10-15-2016, 08:57 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 862 Likes on 652 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfman5874
The speed limits on the ride are mostly 55mph and a lot of your 4 wheel vehicles will be running 60+mph.

I'm the rider who will ride the speed limit but doesn't mind going 5mph over if a faster rider is with me.

It's going to hurt his feelings but I bought my bike to ride it like I want to.
I have been met with a similar situation a few times that limited the ride speed to 45 mph.
The individuals did not want to take expressways and wanted to avoid traffic.
It was usually someone that presented a concern regarding their capabilities, so i just split off from the group with the individual and met the group at the destination.
I would change the route plan to all back roads and made it a scenic relaxed ride each time.
It did take a small amount of effort to think ahead, but it was always an enjoyable ride.
The situation did not ruin my day.
I would imagine it would be easier in your case since you know the person and care about them.

The following users liked this post:
Bama Lee (09-18-2019)
Old 10-15-2016, 09:11 AM
MikerR1
Banned
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by im
I have been met with a similar situation a few times that limited the ride speed to 45 mph.
The individuals did not want to take expressways and wanted to avoid traffic.
It was usually someone that presented a concern regarding their capabilities, so i just split off from the group with the individual and met the group at the destination.
I would change the route plan to all back roads and made it a scenic relaxed ride each time.
It did take a small amount of effort to think ahead, but it was always an enjoyable ride.
The situation did not ruin my day.
I would imagine it would be easier in your case since you know the person and care about them.
When you think about wanting to go 45, it is understandable. When you take the back, curvy country roads the speed limit is probably about 45 mph. So the person(s) are implicitely saying, they want to take the country roads. This goes for the problem faced by the original poster(OP) as well. Looked at this way, what the person(s) want to do is a leisurely ride on the back roads, like one of those Dealership rides for new riders. It is completely understandable.

If they don't want to ride on the highway, then DON'T TAKE THEM. When they are ready they will know. No peer pressure to ride on the highways, ever.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:34 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 6,345 Likes on 3,189 Posts

Just realized, a 100 mile trip is a tank of gas.Tell him you'll meet him at the destination. You'll have to stop anyway. The most you'll have to wait is 30 minutes, fill up and have a samich.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:40 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,262 Likes on 12,068 Posts

Someone who is afraid to ride over 45 is a danger to themselves and others. Get him training or tell him the truth, he should not be riding.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:46 AM
MikerR1
Banned
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
Someone who is afraid to ride over 45 is a danger to themselves and others. Get him training or tell him the truth, he should not be riding.
Wrong. They should be riding, but in their comfort zone. When they are ready they will go faster. They decide, not you and you should not exert any peer pressure.

Last edited by MikerR1; 10-15-2016 at 09:48 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by MikerR1:
JRider1807 (10-04-2019), smokingjoe (10-16-2016), upStomp (09-18-2019)
Old 10-15-2016, 10:14 AM
WildBill_50
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Quite often we will have riders that either have a skill set above or below the average skill of the group. We will usually break up into 2 or more groups and then just meet either at the next rest stop or at the destination. The big thing is you don't want anyone riding out side their comfort zone! There maybe some other riders in your group who would not mind riding at 45 mph with your relative.

Old 10-15-2016, 10:34 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 912 Likes on 662 Posts

Bone, PB and Ron all said it way better than I did. Especially the part about how much riding with better or faster riders taught most of us a lot over the years.

i went through some of this when my wife started riding in '09, and our oldest son last year. she now rides like a pro - including a few track days on her Ducati, and my son is coming along.

Family makes it trickier, but be honest with him for both your sake. Maybe he doesn't expect you to match his speed? Maybe you're feeling responsible for him more than he realizes or expects. Him wanting to ride with you sounds like a nice thing otherwise. Good luck working it out.

Last edited by Thingfish; 10-15-2016 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-15-2016, 10:55 AM
Rocket Rider
Tourer
Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Thingfish
I ride alone a lot and enjoy it, especially long rides, but I also ride with different friends who all have different styles and comfort zones. On those rides I accept that for the pleasure of their company I'm going to adjust to their needs and limitations. Some have none, some have several. If I felt their limitations were unsafe or a bad fit for me personally I would draw the line and skip the ride.

If the ride is beyond their skill we plan a different ride.

If the upcoming 100 mile ride isn't safe for them, you should tell them. You're not being a jerk. You're looking out for their wellbeing.

Assuming your relative's style is not going to change anytime soon, maybe you can set aside some ride time to spend with this relative on roads that meet his limitations, but still gives you a chance to ride and spend time together that isn't a road hazard.

Hopefully his style will evolve over time.
Well stated.

The following users liked this post:
Thingfish (10-16-2016)
Old 10-15-2016, 11:28 AM
04Hali
Road Warrior
Received 243 Likes on 164 Posts

I rode with a guy like that one time and never rode with him again. He and I are old retired guys. Worst part was he was in bad health, had cancer several times and several heart attacks. He told me his doctor said he had 30 seconds or less to get his bike stopped if he had another heart attack. He almost got hit from behind by an 18 wheeler when we were riding on the interstate. I kept in front of him for fear of him going down from a heart attack. Once was enough and I haven't seen him since.

On the opposite end I one rode with another old guy that rode too fast and reckless. Every curve he had to take at 20-30 mph over the speed limit and it was two lane crappy roads, on straight aways it was the same. He never enjoyed the scenery he just wanted to ride like a bat out of hell.

Never seems to be a happy medium so I mostly ride alone.

Quick Reply: Inviting someone to ride who doesn't ride over 45mph.