General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inviting someone to ride who doesn't ride over 45mph.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 10:19 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,189 Likes on 6,717 Posts

I've known a lot of riders that died at less than 45 mph, several of them since this thread started.
There's no point to it. You aren't trading a safer speed for less impact. Depending on the road, slower can be just as dangerous.
Phobias require professional help.

Old 09-18-2019, 10:27 AM
FinallyRiding
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Frustrating for sure and dangerous. What I have done in the past is say this is so and so's ride they typically ride this many miles before a stop and normally at the speed limit or 5 above whatever that person does we let everyone know this ahead of time it is everyone's choice if this is the ride they want to go on or not. The group should change their riding habits for one person. I did a trip to Sturgis a few years ago with a guy I hadn't ridden with, it was the last trip he wanted to stop every 50 miles for at least 30 minutes he has been invited on rides again but knows in advance that this is the plan for the ride and it is his choice if he wants to go or not. By no means if he isn't comfortable going over 45 he should not go and not expect anyone else to follow his rule.

Old 09-18-2019, 11:50 AM
ABQ-Jammer
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 4,753 Likes on 2,317 Posts

This is a tricky situation. This person being "family", it seems to mean a lot to him to ride WITH you, but his "skill level" also appears to be in need of "work". In order to not annoy and frustrate the other riders, I might "suggest" that he not ride on THIS ride, but offer to ride on other rides that might help him get more comfortable with his bike (something with lots of turns and going up and down hills, which SHOULD boost his confidence, and allow him to feel more comfortable riding at higher speeds. This will make any future rides more fun for BOTH of you.

I've been on group rides where one person wants to go slower than the speed limit on a highway (60-65mph in a 70-75mph zone), not necessarily due to their skill level or comfort (although that was PART of it, since they were still getting used to a sidecar rig), but mostly because they were "enjoying the ride", taking in the scenery, etc. I was the one in the group who slowed down to make sure they stayed with the group, but the others who were ahead of me got annoyed and angry for being slowed down so much, since they wanted to go 5-10mph or more OVER the speed limit. At first, I was also getting annoyed by them going slower, and I got the idea to "just enjoy the ride", and once I settled into that, it was fine for me, too. So, I can understand both sides of this argument. You shouldn't want someone, especially a relative, to ride beyond their "limits", since that's dangerous to them, however, riding so far under the speed limit is equally or MORE dangerous, too. This should probably be explained to your relative, though, as they may not be aware. HOPEFULLY, explaining that you're concerned for their safety, and offering to go on other rides with them to build up their confidence, may make it easier for them to make the decision to not go on this long ride at such a slow speed.

The following users liked this post:
NMfxdf (09-18-2019)
Old 09-18-2019, 02:28 PM
TroubleHead Fred
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,962 Likes on 1,160 Posts

These days I handle this by riding my own ride. I will see them as we travel or at the next stop, or the next, or the destination. I won't encourage anyone to speed up and get out of their comfort zone.

Some years ago, I once complained to a family member to keep up, 15 minutes later they crashed and was left with some permanent injuries. Now, I let everyone ride their own and I will see them somewhere.

Old 09-18-2019, 03:14 PM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 18,303 Likes on 10,102 Posts

Originally Posted by Greezey Rider
I'll usually wait about 15 minutes, after that they're on their own....
Some people I have seen turn off before the ride is over. ive seen it more than once.

Old 09-18-2019, 03:28 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 503 Likes on 261 Posts

3 year old post....
I hope it was resolved
I've planned and announced rides, including the rough guess about the time/miles. Usually those that come along grasp the concept, but there have been a few of those "I won't travel any faster than <______>,
or, That's too many miles

IF you want to tag along that's what we're doing... I'm willing to give them the motell information, and they can do their own thing getting there, and while we are out riding.
I don't want to see anyone hurt from trying to ride beyond their skills, and frankly some folks just don't want to ride either fast, or long distance.
Maybe the best you can hope for, is a once a month ride to the local watering hole, where he can enjoy his "Wild Hogs" fantasy

Old 09-18-2019, 11:23 PM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by hog95023
EDIT, this thread is so old they could have walked there and back 17 times and drank 9 kegs of beer all while telling the slow rider how great he was. EDIT again. Figures it has to be someone between BARSTOW and NEEDLES that bumped this OLD thread
That guy?

Old 09-19-2019, 09:30 AM
CaffeineBuzz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,744 Likes on 4,243 Posts

The thought occurred to me...maybe old ‘45 didn’t know how to shift into second. He’s been red lining in first this whole time. : /

The following users liked this post:
DanHappy (09-19-2019)
Old 09-19-2019, 09:41 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,670 Likes on 6,425 Posts

Originally Posted by Buster217
No, please don't. Thx.

And congratulations on responding to a 3 year old thread.
It is almost always the new members that do this.

Hope this helps. LOL

Old 09-19-2019, 02:50 PM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 3,207 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Originally Posted by nobodyknowsme
It is almost always the new members that do this.

Hope this helps. LOL

It also happens if you have the "Show Related Threads" turned on. You can be reading a post and because a 3 year old post had something similar in it it shows up right underneath the thread you are posting in. It's pretty easy to revive an old thread by mistake. It is turned on by default when you sign up, you have to go into your setting to turn it off.

Quick Reply: Inviting someone to ride who doesn't ride over 45mph.