General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inviting someone to ride who doesn't ride over 45mph.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 11:45 AM
Keithg
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Leave him to his speed limit and don't ride with him until he can keep up with a group.

Old 10-17-2016, 12:27 PM
Redoilokie
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,966 Likes on 5,919 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfman5874
It's going to hurt his feelings but I bought my bike to ride it like I want to.
That right there is worth repeating, as often as necessary until people understand.

Old 10-17-2016, 12:28 PM
Walter White
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 53,149 Likes on 18,569 Posts

Only invite him on deal's gap or blueridge parkway rides.

Old 10-17-2016, 01:23 PM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,933 Likes on 1,442 Posts

Originally Posted by MikerR1
At 70 mph the stopping distance for a motorcycle is about 245 feet. That is almost the length of a football field.

When I ride, I try to stay away from everything I can. If I have to speed up to find a hole I do, if I have to slow down to keep my distance I do.

BTW, I did not know the stopping distance at 70mph was so great. I have probably been traveling much to close to the cars in front of me.

Very much understand you're concern, but I don't know if I follow your reasoning. Unless you're coming up on a fixed object (a wall, telephone poll, STOPPED car etc.), I would guess the traffic around you is also slowing down. My guess would be your braking distance is still less than most cars around you. What is the braking distance of a Honda Accord or Chevy Tahoe from 70mph?

Was riding a bunch over the weekend and I found myself in a couple of surprise braking moments, but I could still slow down faster than the cars around me....saving my ***.

Old 10-17-2016, 01:28 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,679 Likes on 1,665 Posts

Originally Posted by rauchman
My guess would be your braking distance is still less than most cars around you.
You'd be surprised.

A lot of motorcyclists think they have a braking advantage over cars. Generally speaking, you don't. Quite the opposite, in fact.

For example: Honda Civic (60MPH to zero) : 118 ft. GSXR 1000: 140 ft. Electra Glide: 145ft.

Specific numbers will vary depending on the particular test, but the bottom line is cars stop faster than bikes.

Old 10-17-2016, 01:37 PM
Alamomann
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll echo the sentiment expressed many times - don't ride with him. Find an excuse if you have to, although I would be brutally honest with him. He's putting people at risk going that slow.

Old 10-17-2016, 01:47 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,716 Likes on 1,373 Posts

A rider who will not ride the posted speed limit is not only a danger to them self, but to those riding with him. If the posted is 50 and this person rides 45, cars will back up, tailgate, try to pass. Other bikes riding with him are now placed in jeopardy.

If you ride a freeway, it is worse as a motorcycle going that slow risks being rear ended. Since he is a danger, you owe it to the people who love you not to ride with him. Tell him why and be done with it. This is no way to help a newbie gain confidence.

If you are sincere in helping him, meet him on a back road little used and teach him the basics of countersteering, braking, turning around, weave and swerve and then have him practice these on his own until he has gained enough confidence to ride at road speeds safely. I have a friend who always rode under the speed limit and always wanted to go on my long trips. I told him no. He never will change. I occasionally on a nice sunny Sunday will ride the farm roads around home with him. Tiddler stuff. Speed limits 25 mph. He is in his element and for that moment in time, I can enjoy riding with him.
Family makes no difference. Friend makes no difference. Spouse makes no difference.

Old 10-17-2016, 02:23 PM
rocket23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,615 Likes on 2,870 Posts

just for ha ha's....braking comes down to 2 things...reaction time, and friction..the more points of friction the quicker the stop ( leaving reaction times as equal)....cars have the benefit of 4 against our 2. add weight to the mix and it varies slightly, but still favors cars. Just to give you an idea , a fully loaded semi trailer will stop sooner than an semi running empty....but with bikes it is the opposite, why? The friction points are the same, grossly disproportioned for the job it's being asked while in a semi the friction points are designed too handle the load...with bikes , it's just a controlled crash, much like landing a plane.

Old 10-17-2016, 02:55 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,262 Likes on 12,068 Posts

Originally Posted by Machiavelli
I'm not sure 10 miles under constitutes a violation of that law, or even more.
There is no hard number under the speed limit that constitutes impeding. It's up to the discretion of the LEO writing the stub.
Let's take that timid 45 mph subject "rider" in this thread. Two lane highway, one lane in each direction. Speed limit is 65 and douche rider is at 45. He has 15 angry cars stacked up behind and none can pass due to a double yellow. Timid rider won't use the shoulder to pull off to let faster traffic by. Douche rider will get a stub for impeding and it will stand up in court. Multi-lane highways? Douche rider better be in the far right lane, probably the most dangerous lane to ride in.
BTW, you can also get stubbed for riding too fast for conditions. The speed limit might be 70 but 35 might be the maximum safe speed due to snow, ice, fog, rain.
The maximum safe speed when traffic is stopped is 0.You rearend a stopped vehicle at 30, you will get stubbed for driving too fast even though the limit is 65.

Old 10-17-2016, 03:13 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,761 Likes on 3,118 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket23
just for ha ha's....braking comes down to 2 things...reaction time, and friction..the more points of friction the quicker the stop ( leaving reaction times as equal)....
Actually, it's 3 things
1. Perceive distance
2. React distance
3. Braking distance
These 3 things create " TOTAL BRAKING DISTANCE"

Quick Reply: Inviting someone to ride who doesn't ride over 45mph.