General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inviting someone to ride who doesn't ride over 45mph.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 10:03 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,262 Likes on 12,068 Posts

Originally Posted by MikerR1
Wrong. They should be riding, but in their comfort zone. When they are ready they will go faster. They decide, not you and you should not exert any peer pressure.
Wrong, if a rider can't or won't ride at the speed limit, they will get run over, cause a collision and cause road rage. A highway is not a comfort zone. Other drivers will decide the timid riders fate, not you or me.
Ca has a minimum speed law. Keep up or stay off the road.
22400. (a) No person shall drive upon a highway at such a slow
speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of
traffic unless the reduced speed is necessary for safe operation,
because of a grade, or in compliance with law.
No person shall bring a vehicle to a complete stop upon a highway
so as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of
traffic unless the stop is necessary for safe operation or in
compliance with law.

Last edited by upflying; 10-17-2016 at 10:07 AM.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:25 AM
rocket23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,615 Likes on 2,870 Posts

Originally Posted by uklauren
Also in the left lane of the highway. Big groups of 8 or more get onto the highway and move over to the left lane and there they stay at 5mph under. I know it's easier to leave a group in the left so that you're not leading them to keep switching lanes but under the speed limit is not good. You see a line of cars trying to pass and being forced to use the second left lane and cut back over.
I think the road captain is a douche for maintaining 5 under the limit in the passing lane. He knows full well what he is doing. He tries that on the nyta highway and he would end up in jail or pay a reckless endangerment fine. There are roads that don't play with that kinda b.s.

Old 10-17-2016, 10:50 AM
MikerR1
Banned
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
Wrong, if a rider can't or won't ride at the speed limit, they will get run over, cause a collision and cause road rage. A highway is not a comfort zone. Other drivers will decide the timid riders fate, not you or me.

compliance with law.
So what is the minimum speed limit?

The problem, is not a slow driver. The problem is a slow driver in the fast (or passing lane). On every highway I have ever been on there have been signs that say , slower traffic keep right. What usually bugs people is when someone is going slow in the passing lane. That bugs me as well. But I accept there are people who do not go as fast and they have a right to drive in the right lane.

I think what the minimum law you are referring to above is designed to prevent using the highway to protest, like they do in France. If the intention is to impede traffic that is against the law. And even if you disagree with my interpretation, the law does not give a number and I doubt seriously if someone riding a motorcycle at 45 mph in the right lane would get prosecuted. They may get a ticket, but if they show up in court and say that they were driving that speed because they did not feel safe going at a higher speed, I think they would get off, with a warning from the court. If they did it again, that may have a different ending.

In my opinion the biggest problem on highways are tractor trailer trucks going at or above the speed limit. I consider I-35 in Texas to be one of the most dangerous roads in the country. I-95 in Florida is also on that list.

Last edited by MikerR1; 10-17-2016 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:04 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,679 Likes on 1,665 Posts

I haven't slogged through this whole thread, but wanted to comment that driving/riding slower than prevailing traffic is more dangerous than excessive speed.

If you can't operate at the prevailing speed on a given roadway, don't go on that roadway. You are a risk to yourself and others. I don't give a rip about your "comfort zone".

There are precious few roads anywhere in the country where the marked speed limit is anywhere near the capabilities of any competent driver/rider. If operating at (or slightly over) the speed limit takes you out of your "comfort zone", you do not belong there. Go get some practice and come back before you get yourself or someone else killed.

OP, personally, I wouldn't ride with the guy. He's going to get someone killed if he doesn't get it together.

Old 10-17-2016, 11:10 AM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 637 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
compliance with law.

I'm not sure 10 miles under constitutes a violation of that law, or even more.

Old 10-17-2016, 11:12 AM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 0maha
I haven't slogged through this whole thread, but wanted to comment that driving/riding slower than prevailing traffic is more dangerous than excessive speed.

If you can't operate at the prevailing speed on a given roadway, don't go on that roadway. You are a risk to yourself and others. I don't give a rip about your "comfort zone".

There are precious few roads anywhere in the country where the marked speed limit is anywhere near the capabilities of any competent driver/rider. If operating at (or slightly over) the speed limit takes you out of your "comfort zone", you do not belong there. Go get some practice and come back before you get yourself or someone else killed.

OP, personally, I wouldn't ride with the guy. He's going to get someone killed if he doesn't get it together.

I agree that people should ride the speed limit regardless of what type of vehicle they are driving, BUT I would be very surprised if you could find data that backs that statement in bold up.

Old 10-17-2016, 11:16 AM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member

So what is the minimum speed limit?

The problem, is not a slow driver. The problem is a slow driver in the fast (or passing lane). On every highway I have ever been on there have been signs that say , slower traffic keep right. What usually bugs people is when someone is going slow in the passing lane. That bugs me as well. But I accept there are people who do not go as fast and they have a right to drive in the right lane.

I think what the minimum law you are referring to above is designed to prevent using the highway to protest, like they do in France. If the intention is to impede traffic that is against the law. And even if you disagree with my interpretation, the law does not give a number and I doubt seriously if someone riding a motorcycle at 45 mph in the right lane would get prosecuted. They may get a ticket, but if they show up in court and say that they were driving that speed because they did not feel safe going at a higher speed, I think they would get off, with a warning from the court. If they did it again, that may have a different ending.

In my opinion the biggest problem on highways are tractor trailer trucks going at or above the speed limit. I consider I-35 in Texas to be one of the most dangerous roads in the country. I-95 in Florida is also on that list.

It seems in the law that upflying quoted a lot of discretion is given to the law enforcement officer. Which can be a good thing. That being said, I would find it difficult to successfully prosecute something like 10 miles under or may even a little more.

Old 10-17-2016, 11:17 AM
MikerR1
Banned
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The speed limit on a highway is the maximum speed.

If the speed limit on the highway is 70mph and you are going 80mph in the passing lane to pass someone going 70 mph in the slow lane, you are going to get a ticket.

If the maximum speed you can use to pass someone is 70 mph, then that implies that traffic in the right lane is going slower than the speed limit. Therefore, the two lane highway with a speed limit, is designed to accommodate slower traffic in the right lane.

Last edited by MikerR1; 10-17-2016 at 11:25 AM.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:23 AM
sailmotion
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,846 Likes on 3,238 Posts

Good for the guy/gal who knows their limits and expressly lets you know that 45mph is the max they will drive. Exclude them from your rides that are expected to exceed their limits. Advise them that, as they gain experience [or harshly, a set of *****], they should let you know so they may be included in future rides.

The following users liked this post:
ABQ-Jammer (09-18-2019)
Old 10-17-2016, 11:23 AM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member

The speed limit on a highway is the maximum speed.

If the speed limit on the highway is 70mph and you are going 80mph in the passing lane to pass someone going 70 mph in the slow lane, you are going to get a ticket.

If the maximum speed you can use to pass someone is 70 mph, then that implies that traffic in the right lane is going slower than the speed limit.

Believe it or not, some states allow drivers to increase their speed over the posted speed limit briefly to pass another vehicle.

Of course it isn't talked about much.

Last edited by 1BRAVO9; 10-17-2016 at 11:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Inviting someone to ride who doesn't ride over 45mph.