General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You guys use headlight Modulators?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 02:49 PM
bobbyd3
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You guys use headlight Modulators?

I was told that getting headlight modulators for my bike would be a really good idea to increase my visibility. For anyone who doesnt know what they are I geuss that it increases the brightness of your headlight then lowers it back down then brightens etc.. like a slow strobe from what I take it.

They said that they always get people telling them that their headlights got something wrong with it, and how they could see them from 1/2 mile away.

Im thinking that this may be a good idea, anything that would increase the chance of another driver seeing me decreases the chance of another driver pulling out in front of me .

Just wondering what your thoughts/opinions are on them,aIm also wondering what it will undertake to install the device, if its something I could do myself with little research or if its something I should have a service guy do.

Old 05-26-2007, 02:54 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: You guys use headlight Modulators?

I agree they probably make you more noticeable. I also feel that you're more inclined to make an occasional driver a little angry because of "that stupid light flashing in his eyes" and I for one do what I can to avoid iniviting road rage.

Old 05-26-2007, 03:03 PM
ZD
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll give up riding if things come to modulating headlights...

Old 05-26-2007, 03:22 PM
bobbyd3
Tourer

From what I was told they only will modulate in the day, they have some kind of sensor. If they modulated at night it would make it more difficult/dangerous to ride, one minute you can see say 50 ft in front next minute 75 then 50 then 75 etc (just an example) plus it be to bright for people in oncoming lane.

Im new to riding, and hear the horror stories so im trying to see what will increase my chances of survival on the roads

Old 05-26-2007, 04:38 PM
jumpmasterjay
Tourer
Received 266 Likes on 40 Posts

I actually find myself mezmerized by the flashing light when I see it coming toward me...I think they are more dangerous!

Old 05-26-2007, 04:51 PM
tinker1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

personally I think you'd be better served by adding a light bar - or some extra running lights to your bike. I've also seen double head lights that can replace a single, which might be a good idea as long as both are on all the time.

bottom line though is that all the lights, flashing or otherwise, won't help you if the cager is on the frigging phone!!

Old 05-26-2007, 04:58 PM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

They work. Whether it pisses other drivers off or irritates them or whatever- they're hard to ignore.
I'm gonna put modulators on the wife's Softail and the daughter's Sporty. All bikes, especially the smaller/narrower/ less visible ones, need all the help they can get to wake up the no attention paying, cellphone yakking, left-turning in front of you boner in the minivan...

Old 05-26-2007, 05:54 PM
Jambo
Banned

Nope

Old 05-26-2007, 06:00 PM
whak a mole
Advanced

i think i gotta pass i would rather have a light bar with more lights for day and night

Old 05-26-2007, 06:33 PM
jr_c6
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They work very well and get you noticed. Never have had anyone give me a hard time for having them. They automatically stop modulating at night, by law.

Quick Reply: You guys use headlight Modulators?