General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You guys use headlight Modulators?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 03:01 PM
hughtwg
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: You guys use headlight Modulators?

Death to headlight modulators.

-Hugh

Old 05-29-2007, 03:19 PM
bobbyd3
Tourer

I was driving yesterday and 2 bikes passed me in the oncoming lane the first bike had a modulating headlight the one behind it didnt and I couldnotice the bike with the modulator alot sooner than regular headlighted bike.

I didnt think they were annoying, or to the point where they would blind another driver.

I think anything that gets you notices will decrease the chance of some moron in an SUV on a cellphone from pulling out in front of you. people will see the strobing light and think what the hell is that and actually look at you.

Old 05-29-2007, 03:31 PM
nastyHD
Road Captain

Are you kidding me not annoying, I hope you do alot of riding alone because I sure as hell wouldn't want you behind me in a group ride talkabout annoying.

Old 05-29-2007, 04:11 PM
ut_vols_fan
Road Captain

Been thinking about getting one for a while. I even posted here several months ago about modulators. Someone made an interesting and accurate comment that they were afraid someone about to turn left would interpret the modulation as the rider signaling them to go ahead and turn. Since I read that thought, it stuck with me and I haven't ordered one yet....

Old 05-29-2007, 05:03 PM
WideGuy
Advanced

I have only seen about half a dozen riders in the Charleston, SC area with headlight modulators and theycertainly grab your attention. However, I am inclined to agree that most cagers will use practically any perceived signal of you "yielding right of way". Chances are he may have only noticed one or two flashes and that left turning bandit was certain you were giving him the right of way. At least thatis what he may tell the LEO.

Old 05-29-2007, 05:37 PM
Bassman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not use it all of the time, but it does come in handy.
I use it when I feel there is a chance that I might not be seen, such as in traffic where people start to make sudden lane changes or out in rural areas where you get the "Sunday Drivers" that are off in Lala land.

The first time I used it I was on the highway approaching a pack of cars that kept buching up together and changing lanes. I turned it on and every one of them moved over to the right lane to let me pass. I don't know why they were so nice all of the sudden

However, I do not use it when riding in a group of other bikes. I only use it when riding solo or in the lead of a group

Old 05-29-2007, 06:46 PM
saidin43
Cruiser

I definitely thing it will get anyone's attention
However I had a person on a Honda goldwing that had modulators for their front and rear lights driving near me, and it was so annoying, I wanted to get out and punch him in the head. I'm all for safety, but I think it will grab too much attention.

It may not be such a bad idea to have the modulators switched, so you can use it in certain situations, such as intersections, but to have to turn them on and off limits their usability.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:29 PM
Bassman
Road Master

ORIGINAL: saidin43

It may not be such a bad idea to have the modulators switched, so you can use it in certain situations, such as intersections, but to have to turn them on and off limits their usability.
Most are switched. My only comes on when I hit the high beam switch. It also has a daylight sensor so when it get dark outside, the sensor overrides and turn it off. That way, you just have the standard steady low & high beam

Old 05-29-2007, 08:41 PM
DirtyDave
Tourer

A coe worker put one on his bike. If he can do it anyone can. Just don't depend on it, ride like your invisable.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:47 PM
Brackneyc
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1 vote for no modulators. Too distrating, and not foer the right reason. I am a rider, and I know what they are for, and I do not like them. JMO

Quick Reply: You guys use headlight Modulators?