General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Counter-steering

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016 | 03:06 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by rjg883c
So you are saying is that in a fast continuous right turn we don't turn slightly left to prevent high siding or turn right in a left turn for the same reason? Obviously you still haven't gone for a ride and looked at your triple clamp during a fast turn. In this case you don't "You counter-steer to change you lean angle", you counter-steer to prevent a highside. And it is not "monentary". Unless, such as with 'counter steering', you have your own definition of 'momentary'.

Do you really not understand centrifugal force?

Troll.
Originally Posted by MikerR1
As bwoltz pointed out, if you are in a turn, your wheel is going to be pointed to the inside if you are not counter-steering.

I did not mean to imply that you cannot counter-steer to prevent a high side or low side. "Momentary" means for as long as necessary to fix the problem.
I'm curious why you put so much faith in the post by bwoltz instead of posts by other people? You could end this by simply going for a ride. Getting a little actual experience would clarify the issue for you. But you do make a good point with '"Momentary" means for as long as necessary to fix the problem.'.

In this case the 'problem' is a preventing a highside. And that is a possibility for the length of a curve.

Last edited by rjg883c; 10-24-2016 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10-24-2016 | 03:13 PM
keith_stepp
Banned

I'm curious why you put so much faith in the post by bwoltz instead of posts by other people?
lol

Uh oh! Stop that use of reasoning this instant young man!

Old 10-24-2016 | 03:20 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by keith_stepp
lol

I thought there might be a serious/logical reason, which the rest of us don't grasp, to put such faith in the post by bwoltz?

Old 10-24-2016 | 03:50 PM
keith_stepp
Banned

I thought there might be a serious/logical reason, which the rest of us don't grasp, to put such faith in the post by bwoltz?
A person that shares his point of view has got to be incredibly rare (as you observed). *wink wink*nudge nudge*

Old 10-24-2016 | 03:53 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member

Nah...It's a political reason.
He's a democrat, and is just stupid.

Old 10-24-2016 | 04:41 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by keith_stepp
lol

Uh oh! Stop that use of reasoning this instant young man! ... I think he undermeant what you stood! :>)

Old 10-24-2016 | 04:53 PM
MikerR1
|
Banned

I'm curious why you put so much faith in the post by bwoltz instead of posts by other people? You could end this by simply going for a ride. Getting a little actual experience would clarify the issue for you. But you do make a good point with '"Momentary" means for as long as necessary to fix the problem.'.

In this case the 'problem' is a preventing a highside. And that is a possibility for the length of a curve.

Because the truth has a certain ring to it. The post by bwoltz is simple and eloquent. It encapsulates the meaning of counter-steering.

Here is his post

"Not sure what curve you are talking about but the statement really means that the wheel is turned into the corner and following the radius of the turn.. Tire contact will be outside the center gravity (CG) radius. The point was that the front wheel is no longer counter-steering but is turned in the corner. It won't be tighter than the radius of the corner of the CG radius..(except possibly at the exit to bring the tire contact patches back under the CG)

All counter-steer does is upset the balance of the motorcycle/rider so it falls over. As the motorcycles falls, you turn into corner to balance the centrifugal force of the turn with the horizontal force caused by the offset of the CG from the tire contact patches.. This is all simple physics and balancing of horizontal force vectors to keep the bike from falling over or high siding."

Last edited by MikerR1; 10-24-2016 at 05:01 PM.
Old 10-24-2016 | 04:56 PM
Ratbag67
Advanced

I can't believe this is still going on. I read every post on this thread last week. (Entertaining for sure) And it took all week!

I went out and tried most everything posted in this thread. Yep, I was right... guitar fish and the others know what they are saying. I'm gonna go ride again. Maybe I'll make the infamous ignore list.

By the way, should I put the self counter steering blade on my lawnmower? I was told that it would help it mow in a circle.

Old 10-24-2016 | 05:13 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member

The OP reminds me of Wile-E-Coyote - Super Genius, as he is clearly smarter than all of us - lol

Old 10-24-2016 | 05:32 PM
6 gun
Seasoned HDF Member

I turn my handle bars to the right to go left, and I turn my bars to the left to go right. Now I have just increased my post count by one.

Quick Reply: Counter-steering