General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Counter-steering

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016 | 11:27 AM
No U Glider
Road Warrior

Just want to add to the mayhem before the thread is closed.... you could initiate countersterring by applying downward pressure on the footboard on the side of the direction you wish to turn. Pressure should be at a 90 degree angle.

Caution it may not work on a bicycle cause the pedals will just turn the crank but may work when you are coasting and the pedal is alll the way down. Let me find a video...

On a more serious note Twist of the Wrist is an informative book on the subject.

Old 10-24-2016 | 11:28 AM
MikerR1
|
Banned

Originally Posted by keith_stepp
Quote it 100 more times for all I care. You will still be wrong and your opinion worthless.
You need to read more.

Here is what bWoltz said about it.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=15618214

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...l#post15620540

Last edited by MikerR1; 10-24-2016 at 11:30 AM.
Old 10-24-2016 | 11:30 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member

I don't know about you guys but I knew all about counter steering right after the training wheels came off and I coasted my 20" Huffy down that first big hill. Of course I didn't know what it was called but that didn't change the dynamics of the technique any. Been doing it ever since too just never gave it 30+ pages worth of thought. I guess what I'm trying to say is I think we're wasting bandwidth that would be better spent on more important topics like condensation and gas caps!

Last edited by Hey Man; 10-24-2016 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-24-2016 | 11:33 AM
keith_stepp
Banned

Originally Posted by MikerR1
You need to read more.
I read plenty and what is more, my reading and comprehension skills are just fine, of that I am certain.

Old 10-24-2016 | 11:35 AM
MikerR1
|
Banned

I read plenty and what is more, my reading and comprehension skills are just fine, of that I am certain.
I am not so certain. When given a statement that clearly contradicts what you said you deny it. I think you are just intent in attacking anything that I say.

Old 10-24-2016 | 11:37 AM
keith_stepp
Banned

I am not so certain. When given a statement that clearly contradicts what you said you deny it. I think you are just intent in attacking anything that I say.
No doubt you are certain, but your second sentence is wrong, so once again... your opinion is worthless. As far as attacking you goes... I have not attacked you. This thread is a giant waste of time for everyone reading it and I believe people will appreciate knowing that.

Old 10-24-2016 | 11:43 AM
MikerR1
|
Banned

No doubt you are certain, but your second sentence is wrong, so once again... your opinion is worthless. As far as attacking you goes... I have not attacked you. This thread is a giant waste of time for everyone reading it and I believe people will appreciate knowing that.
No, this thread is not a waste of time. It did not get to where it is because it is a waste of time.

This one post by bWoltz makes this entire thread valuable. It is such a simple and eloquent explanation of counter-steering. It took 900 posts to get to it but we got there.

Since you do not follow my links I will post the actual wording in his post.

Not sure what curve you are talking about but the statement really means that the wheel is turned into the corner and following the radius of the turn.. Tire contact will be outside the center gravity (CG) radius. The point was that the front wheel is no longer counter-steering but is turned in the corner. It won't be tighter than the radius of the corner of the CG radius..(except possibly at the exit to bring the tire contact patches back under the CG)

All counter-steer does is upset the balance of the motorcycle/rider so it falls over. As the motorcycles falls, you turn into corner to balance the centrifugal force of the turn with the horizontal force caused by the offset of the CG from the tire contact patches.. This is all simple physics and balancing of horizontal force vectors to keep the bike from falling over or high siding.
And the above is not the only good piece of knowledge in this thread.

Old 10-24-2016 | 11:47 AM
keith_stepp
Banned

No, this thread is not a waste of time.
HUGE!!! Waste of time.

Old 10-24-2016 | 11:47 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

No, this thread is not a waste of time. It did not get to where it is because it is a waste of time.

This one post by bWoltz makes this entire thread valuable. It is such a simple and eloquent explanation of counter-steering. It took 900 posts to get to it but we got there.

Since you do not follow my links I will post the actual wording in his post.

And the above is not the only good piece of knowledge in this thread.
No, this thread is not a waste of time. It did not get to where it is because it is a waste of time ... Sure does sound/is "self serving"

Old 10-24-2016 | 11:48 AM
keith_stepp
Banned

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
No, this thread is not a waste of time. It did not get to where it is because it is a waste of time ... Sure does sound/is "self serving"
lol

Yea, I caught that too. Something a troll would say for sure.

Quick Reply: Counter-steering